+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Do you think people have stopped dressing up (in the gothic way) like they used to??

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Do you think people have stopped dressing up (in the gothic way) like they used to??

[quote=World*in*my*Eyes]
    Quote Originally Posted by Scar
    [b]Do you think people have stopped dressing up (in the gothic way) like they use-([/QUOTE)
    I never saw people with the goth look as a majority, just people with the goth look here and there thur out the years.
    However I did recently meet two, 21 year old guys, who are born one day a part, (I do astrology). These two goth looking guys do not know each other, and they are both from my area. Both from my area is unbeleiveable. I met the one from the goth date site and the other on My Space. If I am allow the post my My Space site address here, let me know. Because, any of you interested in seeing these two guys can go to my My Space site and look at their pictures. You can see more pictures of me too, but I wouldn't consider my look goth. My look is more glam. Let me also say these two guys are very nice guys. I took a late night walk along the creek and we both fed the ducks with the one. The other one took me to play minature golf, yes with his black eyeliner on and total look. I love men in eyeliner.
    I'll have a look. I know my entire chart btw. I have only 2 pics on *******, not done up. I was goofing with lighting in em.

JT

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default Re: Do you think people have stopped dressing up (in the gothic way) like they used

Quote Originally Posted by johnny
    Going back to this original question, I wonder if it is because of the splintering of so many "goth groups" mentioned -- cyber, victorian, etc. etc. -- really diluted the refined style that evolved through the 80s in the early 90s. For me, I kind of see the fall-off from that time, but maybe that is just me. Then after the 90s with the proliferation of the Internet, people kept trying to out-goth one another with new and wacky things and eventually we lost our way? *shrug*
    to be honest,johnny, and i may be the only one who sees it this way too, i think the reason we have so many genre of things these days is because we are such a labelwhore society that when someone wants to break away frm a certain look or customze it to what they like, somene else comes along and labels it or they make up a label so as to differ themselves from everyone else.

labels arent alwyas a bad thing and we ourselves will label peope we don even kow just by looking at them and te swagger they give off without even thinking we'e ding it. i know I have.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Do you think people have stopped dressing up (in the gothic way) like they used to??

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie T.
    What do you mean by off the rack clothing and off the rack body? Just in terms of normal sizes?

It is cost prohibitive for most to do this. That's the issue as it is being framed to me elsewhere.

JT
    some outfits should be properly fitted for the individual purchaser...

cost should never be an factor..........this has nothing to do with rich and poor but priorities,........ clothing is the the personal flags we fly

Default Re: Do you think people have stopped dressing up (in the gothic way) like they used

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl

cost should never be an factor..........this has nothing to do with rich and poor but priorities,........ clothing is the the personal flags we fly
    Of course cost is a factor, in todays society you work to get paid to spend money to live. If by the time you've bought your food and paid for the privelidge of having a roof over your head (and whatever other bills you have) and your out your entire paycheck then your not going to be getting that expensive shirt no matter how high of a priority it is.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Cost does matter for Goths, as you can't easily convert 'normal' stuff (surplus stores may do a great line in black combats but velvet tailcoats rarely appear on eBay for 25 cents). The whole point of original Goth was that it needed 'proper clothes' - opposing punk which relied on the idea clothing should look like it fell out of a dumpster (though we all know that was a myth, and early punks spent 18 hours a day preening themselves and combing the stores for the perfectly-torn vest).

I do agree with Mr K though on the idea that if you're wholeheartedly living a genre then your priorities change, but I'd see it more like you'd save your cash for a really spot-on set of boots or stovepipe hat instead of frittering it away on Cheesos and movie tickets. Of course someone on 3 bucks an hour can't stroll out and get a leather catsuit handmade by Peruvian monks from the leather of real cats, but it's all about the relative amount of effort you expend - less free cash means more inventiveness and customization, maybe even learning to sew, but you can't avoid the fact a pair of New Rocks are beyond the ability of a kid with nothing but crazy glue and duck tape.

As to johnny's "out-gothing" reply - I blame the Chuck Norris Quote. The Web lives for "my XXX is better than your XXX" and kids today don't get the idea that "my black is so black it makes eagles blind" is a joke, not fashion advice.

BookOfFaeye's Avatar Book Of Faeye

Its funny I live in the fothills of Tennessee and no one but the teens dress like I do. Occasionally I will find an adult (25+) who wears black, dies their hair artsy colors, and has misc piercings like mine but really the closest to goth or punk most of the adults get is biker chick and guys with ink. I have hot pink hair, lip ring, half sleeve that goes halfway across my chest and I am over 30. As soon as my bondage pants fit again (as I said before I just had my 4th child) I will be sporting my beloved pants. I LOVE THEM. I dont care who dresses like what or what kind of looks I get. I am what I am and I am comfortable being just that.
    I think its unfortunate people feel that another year older means they have to shop at Ross instead of Hot Topic now. Fashion is fun and chance to express your heart and your head. I enjoy my wierdness and I always will.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl

True. I usually just tailor or accessorize clothes to fit properly. I can't deny the fact it makes me less likely to "dress up" a bit more though.

In terms of cost, it is always a factor. You have to take into account a lot of folks may be into an aesthetic but not have the disposable income for retail items. It may not be a factor for me or you. In reference to Scar's question though, I believe it is a reason why folks may dress up less.

JT

Do you think people have stopped dressing up (in the gothic way) like they used to??

When I look back at my old photo albums and reminisce about the past I can't help but notice how FABULOUS people used to look.

in fact the scene is a slightly duller place.
    It is important not to fall into one of the traps that await you when you grow older: getting fixated on some past time in your life. A nauseatingly huge bunch of people think that the music of the 60's was the greatest, and they keep f'ing playing it over and over, as if all the great stuff of the 80's and 90's does not exist. There was even good music from the glitter scene (remember "Jump" by Van Halen and "Love Hurts"?)

Then there are those establishment morons who think the college they went to was the greatest thing in their lives. Then there ar people who think high school and adolescence was so great, they never emotionally pass beyond it.

Such people start defining themselves by these periods.

The goth scene that was called goth may be changing, but its epicenter was never in America, but in Germany, who you would have to go to Dresden or Berlin to see what is really happening.

I am not goth, but I have some similar interests. I am black trenchcoat.

But I know the some people who would have been goths are now redefining themselves as indigo and emo.

There have always been the type of people who would be goth, at all times in all places, but you have to look more carefully to see the darkness.

The group, Iron Butterfly, who did the song "Inna Gadda Da Vidda" was goth even before the movement had a name.

There were no good old days. The best days are right now. We must stay agile to know it.

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

white ghost: that is the first post of yours i have read, and so far i like you

malcolm: wrt labels, i hate labels because i feel they are unnecessary, as there is so much overlap and compromise that they are pretty much pointless. but they will always exist, as those outside the scene try to put a caption on what they dont understand and those inside the scene try to make themselves unique. and as you said, they are an unconscious thing we all do, whether we want to or not.

mr karl: not wanting to repeat what the others have said (which willalways mean 'im about to etc') but while cost shouldnt be a factor, it always will. i am passionate about being myselkf and letting others know it but id rather have a roof over my head than have a shirt blacker than thou.

whoever brought up the flood of fat goths: i think ive posted it somewhere before, but the problem is a lot of alternaculture people are only in the altcult scene because they are too fat/ugly/obnoxious to be accepted by anyone, and so start wearing makeup and black clothes so they can say "i may not be accepted, but thats cos i chose not to be accepted. honest.

anyone that is a fat/ugly goth: that probably doesnt apply to you. i havent heard anything form anyone here that sggests that that is you. but if you got a tattoo specifically so that people would think "shes not a small moon, shes just rebellious" then i hope youre the cutting type

one answer ........no point expending energy on clothing you might not be wearing six months from now.........if styles didn't change regularily then a lot of people would be without steady employment

P I L O T's Avatar Senior Member

I blame it on the space that is not to be mentioned,..

Before or back in the days prior to and / or BM(get it?)
    you went to a night club or bar and you saw people there you rather interacted or you didn't but you still did cause you were there...
    After M everyone and there mother including the people whom everyone would wish would just leave, got the space that is not to be mentioned and would give there two cents about how to make things more suiting for them and their needs,.. prehaps maybe they are happy now but I for one perosnally like to smoke while I drink,.. I like to drink beer after beer and don't like to get ignored when i ask for another.
    I will throw cigarette butts on the floor and step on them and expect club personal to clean the shit up after everyone has left and before going home,..
    instead I'm an asshole cause joe shmo wants to go home cause heso cool cause he gets paid to be there otherwise he wouldn't degrade himself to being around those creppy goth kids etc. FUCK HIM
    and FUCK the voices the asking to No Smoking laws in New Jersey.
    Cause some bitch wanted to pretend she was really cool and down with in "the scene"(and BTW fuck people who speak land think like that cause its so contagious),.. whom then turned around 3 months after the laws were passed and moved to michigian where maybe she lauighs at how new jersey is so boring now.... New Jersey has the highest Move out rate in the country. this place sucks

Plus that Space which is not to be mentioned is claimed to be tracked by law enforcement officials whom even if they do ever track anything which they probably don't who knows only wait for more kids to get themselves knee deep in shit so they could then move in and make their money off of fines and whatever else.

You know Hillary Clinton proposed a law that infriges on internet freedoms,.. as in who knows what the limits of those laws may be if any but maybe if you say a cuse word you will be fines,..
    plus theres always cameras and youtube,. cell phone cams,..
    I know there have been times when I'm driving down the street and someone snaps a picture of me,.. and that'd be great if I were looking for attention,.. but I'm really not I swear it,.. I erally just wish I were invisible.

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ObscureZan
    Yes unfortunantly there has been a decline in the Goth Fashion...it makes me sad~ Although I do have my 'Street Goth' clothes that I wear to school because some of my more elaborate outfits would just be hell trying to run around in and get art supplies and tattoo ink on them T_T But I do prefere the Elegant Goth/Victorian Goth look that's getting harder and harder to find. I've resolved to making/customizing most of my clothes or having to order them from a Japanese company called "Moi-Meme-Moitie" and another couple favourites, "Black Peace Now", "Juliette et Justine", "Atelier-Pierrot", "h.Naoto" and "HelloHell" by "ReBirth" which is actually a korean company. I'll try to get some pics up if anybody's interested +^_^+ *floats off to finish a freakin still life*

pleeeeeeeease gove us inks to the site's you shop at oh please please please!!!!!

pleeeeeeeease gove us inks to the site's you shop at oh please please please!!!!!
    I can supply a few towns and districts, although I don't know shop names or URL's.

San Francisco: Haight street. You can put together an outfit shopping at many stores here.

about 40 miles north, Petaluma, California: there is an antique shop (not a clothing shop) that has a goth room upstairs. It's on the Petaluma blvd. in the main part of town.

on the web look up SMBD, bondage sites. they sell goth related items.

I have a source for minature wooden coffins.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

See, here's the deal.

The only reason I ever kept the weight off was to get laid.

Now that I'm in my mid 30s and don't give a fuck about getting laid, it's freed me from those constraints.

Quote Originally Posted by White Ghost
    I can supply a few towns and districts, although I don't know shop names or URL's.

San Francisco: Haight street. You can put together an outfit shopping at many stores here.

about 40 miles north, Petaluma, California: there is an antique shop (not a clothing shop) that has a goth room upstairs. It's on the Petaluma blvd. in the main part of town.

on the web look up SMBD, bondage sites. they sell goth related items.

I have a source for minature wooden coffins.
    Petaluma?? Are you from SoCo? We may know each other if so.

JT

Petaluma?? Are you from SoCo?
    No, sorry. I know something of that environment but did not know there was a SoCo in Petaluma.

perhaps this comment leads into a parallel issue with OP: there has been a significant decline in the number of cool cafes over the last few years.

there was a good cafe (not a SoCo) in Petaluma, but it moved and now is not cool. There is starbucks which is very cool ---- NOT. There is a Peet's which would be cool if anybody but nazi's went there.

Then there was Dead Dog cafe (did I get the name right) which had potential. But it closed this year.

It's like something is tightening up in america.

No, sorry. I know something of that environment but did not know there was a SoCo in Petaluma.

perhaps this comment leads into a parallel issue with OP: there has been a significant decline in the number of cool cafes over the last few years.

there was a good cafe (not a SoCo) in Petaluma, but it moved and now is not cool. There is starbucks which is very cool ---- NOT. There is a Peet's which would be cool if anybody but nazi's went there.

Then there was Dead Dog cafe (did I get the name right) which had potential. But it closed this year.

It's like something is tightening up in america.
    I use the term SoCo to denote Sonoma County. I assume you mean SoCo Coffee in Santa Rosa? That place was fairly silly. Do you also mean the Brickhouse from years back as one in 'Luma? The Dead Dog was also there until '06. Also, the indy music store owner passed away. Petaluma has been considerably gentrified. The whole county has. It's depressing. starFUCKS can blow me. I'll be back there for a bit next week. It's still a decent place, you just have to ignore a lot of nonsense.

JT

I use the term SoCo to denote Sonoma County. I assume you mean SoCo Coffee in Santa Rosa? That place was fairly silly. Do you also mean the Brickhouse from years back as one in 'Luma? The Dead Dog was also there until '06. Also, the indy music store owner passed away. Petaluma has been considerably gentrified. The whole county has. It's depressing. starFUCKS can blow me. I'll be back there for a bit next week. It's still a decent place, you just have to ignore a lot of nonsense.

JT
    Deaf Dog even. I haven't lived there in years.

JT

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

I am black trenchcoat.
    oooo are you? gnarly! I am white sports coat with pink carnation... let's get together. I'm free on light blue safari suit day.
    good music from the glitter scene (remember "Jump" by Van Halen and "Love Hurts"?)
    hokey-smokes are you sure? Jump is the one song on 1984 album (I otherwise like lots) that is seriously un-abide-able. Either E V Halen or D Lee Roth (can't remember) claimed that this is a universally popular song from little kids to their grand-mas which is a major turn off right there. And the only thing I can remember titled "Love Hurts" is itself far more painful than anything love can dish out.
    Quote Originally Posted by naughtyredeyedape
    but if you got a tattoo specifically so that people would think "shes not a small moon, shes just rebellious" then i hope youre the cutting type
    hahaha... oh man... another in your uninterrupted series of winners

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

yeah man, im so good i should get myself a column. [/sarcasm] but thanks

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

how can you be a non-comfomist among abunch of people all wearing the same type outfits to me a goth wearing a chipper cheerleading outfit hanging out with goth kids would be the biggest noncomformist around

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

oh! i just gots me a spiffy little topper! (tophat) i looooooooovvvvvvveeeee hats! just lookin for a nice tuxedo tail jacket to go with it though. trenchcoats are so played out

Zwakh's Avatar Junior Member

I think goths got tired of being cal1ed Emos so they changed the lok into more of a punk motif

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

I think the thrill of dressing up is somewhat diluted by the fact that someone can become interested in our subculture one day and the next day go buy some pre-fab outfit at lame ass Hot Topic and then stare me down on the street cause they are all dressed up at 1 in the afternoon and I am still in my PJ's and they somehow feel like they are (oh gasp) more goth than me.

I went to In-N-Out with Forrest and Amelia and Superna last year sometime and an all ages show had just let out, and there were dozens upon dozens of spooky high school kids eating burgers. Instead of being "on the same page" with them, which is what you'd expect, we got a lot of shit from the girls cause we were dressed slutty and they were mumbling shit under their breaths and talking to their friends and pointing at us. When I was a wee gothic lady I always looked up to the people who'd been around longer, thinking they possessed all the fantastical secrets of the goth world and someday I would learn them to. So to have a bunch of kids make fun of me for dressing the way I do, thinking they invented Evil because their t-shirt says so, is discouraging. I don't want to fit in with people who buy some off the rack wardrobe and call themselves creative. Nor do I want to feel like dressing up is what makes me have something in common with someone when it was my thoughts and beliefs that should connect me to others. People put so much emphasis on clothes, instead of other more important things that make us compatible.

flush the fashion

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Could you explain steampunk to me? That's another word being thrown around. How does it apply to fashion?

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

And I think there are a few reasons that goth fashion is on the decline. Firstly, places like Hot Topic make it more mainstream, so the kids who really want to be "different", are more likely to consider it too "corporate" to be rebellious and new. If you can buy it at the mall, it can't be "hardcore" or "underground". So while the kids are exploring more Emo stuff, or whatever is new, the goth people who are still in the scene, eventually get tired of it as well, and not go out as often, etc... Because it's a lot of work, I find myself getting lazy, and if I am just going out to a club on a regular night, I won't get too crazy with my outfit. But if it's a big event, I try to go pretty wild.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    But if it's a big event, I try to go pretty wild.
    And a fine job you do of it! We were just going over the recent pics we took of you in the (coincidentally for the convo at hand) steampunk outfit you did up so amazingly.

This is going back to the biker comment:
    While most bikers are pretty big guys, there are plenty of small guys who ride, and they can hold their own better than the big guys in my opinion. The small guys are fast and one hundred percent whipcord.

+ Reply to Thread