+ Reply to Thread

Thread: do you care if tobacco does viral ads?

and your little dog too

Default do you care if tobacco does viral ads?

from news com australia

Covert smoking ads targeting teens, says expert
    By Clair Weaver

October 07, 2007 12:00am
    Article from: The Sunday Telegraph

TEENAGERS are being encouraged to take up smoking through pro-tobacco "stealth marketing" on popular websites such as YouTube and *******, an Australian expert says.

Simon Chapman, professor of public health at the University of Sydney, believes the tobacco industry employs covert methods of reaching youth markets because of widespread bans on advertising its products.

He suspects tobacco companies are responsible for some of the most sophisticated online video promotions, with clips ranging from pro-smoking propaganda to images of celebrity smokers and "sexy" women smoking cigarettes.

"I'd be very surprised if it's not tobacco companies," Professor Chapman said.

"A lot of it is kids mucking about with mobile phones, but there are also a lot of high-production clips up there.

"You have to ask why would you put so much effort into it?''

Professor Chapman said it was almost impossible to prove tobacco companies were involved, but the industry had a history of using stealth-marketing techniques.

The tobacco industry has denied any involvement in viral advertising.

British American Tobacco Australia has rejected "the implication that... it funds pro-smoking clips posted on YouTube, ******* and Facebook".

"If Professor Chapman has real evidence of this, he should inform the Federal Department of Health and Ageing, which administers the Tobacco Advertising Prohibition Act," a spokesman said.

"British American Tobacco is clear about its responsibilities to society as well as our obligations under Australian tobacco-control laws. We don't use the Internet to circumvent them."

But in a study published in the international journal Tobacco Control, Professor Chapman and his colleague Becky Freeman warn: "Smoking is prolific and accessible on YouTube.

"Possible tobacco-control opportunities need to be explored and evaluated."

They said tobacco companies were increasingly using "below the line" forms of viral cigarette marketing, such as promotions at dance parties, disguising market research as sampling promotions and themed nights in clubs and bars and at music festivals.

"Just as tobacco-company marketers have a presence on youth-friendly venues, it is conceivable they also have a presence on youth-friendly websites," the pair wrote.

"While the world wide web is being used extensively to sell cigarettes, its largely unregulated status holds much potential as a vehicle for both promoting smoking and particular brands of tobacco products, and for promoting anti-smoking discourse."

British American Tobacco Australia insisted it did not encourage minors to smoke.

"We believe that with smoking comes a risk of serious disease," the spokesman said.

"Our business is not about persuading anyone to smoke. It's about offering quality brands to adults who have already taken the decision to smoke and who are fully informed about the risks."

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: do you care if tobacco does viral ads?

Quote Originally Posted by karyn
    from news com australia

Covert smoking ads targeting teens, says expert
    By Clair Weaver

October 07, 2007 12:00am
    Article from: The Sunday Telegraph

TEENAGERS are being encouraged to take up smoking through pro-tobacco "stealth marketing" on popular websites such as YouTube and *******, an Australian expert says.

Simon Chapman, professor of public health at the University of Sydney, believes the tobacco industry employs covert methods of reaching youth markets because of widespread bans on advertising its products.

He suspects tobacco companies are responsible for some of the most sophisticated online video promotions, with clips ranging from pro-smoking propaganda to images of celebrity smokers and "sexy" women smoking cigarettes.

"I'd be very surprised if it's not tobacco companies," Professor Chapman said.

"A lot of it is kids mucking about with mobile phones, but there are also a lot of high-production clips up there.

"You have to ask why would you put so much effort into it?''

Professor Chapman said it was almost impossible to prove tobacco companies were involved, but the industry had a history of using stealth-marketing techniques.

The tobacco industry has denied any involvement in viral advertising.

British American Tobacco Australia has rejected "the implication that... it funds pro-smoking clips posted on YouTube, ******* and Facebook".

"If Professor Chapman has real evidence of this, he should inform the Federal Department of Health and Ageing, which administers the Tobacco Advertising Prohibition Act," a spokesman said.

"British American Tobacco is clear about its responsibilities to society as well as our obligations under Australian tobacco-control laws. We don't use the Internet to circumvent them."

But in a study published in the international journal Tobacco Control, Professor Chapman and his colleague Becky Freeman warn: "Smoking is prolific and accessible on YouTube.

"Possible tobacco-control opportunities need to be explored and evaluated."

They said tobacco companies were increasingly using "below the line" forms of viral cigarette marketing, such as promotions at dance parties, disguising market research as sampling promotions and themed nights in clubs and bars and at music festivals.

"Just as tobacco-company marketers have a presence on youth-friendly venues, it is conceivable they also have a presence on youth-friendly websites," the pair wrote.

"While the world wide web is being used extensively to sell cigarettes, its largely unregulated status holds much potential as a vehicle for both promoting smoking and particular brands of tobacco products, and for promoting anti-smoking discourse."

British American Tobacco Australia insisted it did not encourage minors to smoke.

"We believe that with smoking comes a risk of serious disease," the spokesman said.

"Our business is not about persuading anyone to smoke. It's about offering quality brands to adults who have already taken the decision to smoke and who are fully informed about the risks."
    I'm a smoker. I was (and am) in favor of the federal tax to help fund SCHIP. I also do not believe diseases related to smoking (and several other choices one makes) should be given mandated coverage by insurance companies or the govt. I think that, if we want such diseases covered, we should have to buy separate policies covering catastrophic illness therein. My only question is how to determine actual causation as opposed to mere correlation of diseases related to smoking.

In terms of this ad: I would need to be more familiar with the United States laws regarding such marketing. I can't base it exclusively on Australian or U.K. law (both systems I have great respect for). Given the global nature of the inet, it would be hard to ban such ads.

JT

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

isn't advertising like free speech anyway?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    isn't advertising like free speech anyway?
    It is but the cigarette companies struck some sort of bizarre deal with the state and federal government. I doubt it would survive a constitutional challenge. I also doubt the cigarette companies are going to roll that set of dice.

JT

Viral advertising sucks but it is a fact of life. Why should there be special rules for some controlled substances and not others? I favor viral advertising for everything I enjoy and I enjoy smoking.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

That's what I though second hand smoke was...

i don't really care about smokers, smoking, and tabacco companies.

provided i don't have to smell that shit.

smoking on the sidewalk should be as legal as randomly macing/pepper spraying the air.

+ Reply to Thread