+ Reply to Thread

Thread: would you dress a pet in costume for fun?

and your little dog too

Default would you dress a pet in costume for fun?

from pensacola news journal

Barktoberfest a howlin' good time
    1,500 people and their pets attend doggie Halloween

Sean Dugas
    sdugas@pnj.com
    Introductions at Seville Square in downtown Pensacola on Saturday were based more on noses and smells than handshakes and hellos.

Hundreds of canines led their owners through a maze of leashes, vendors and other patrons during Barktoberfest, an annual event hosted by the Humane Society of Pensacola.

The event — one of the main fundraisers for the no-kill animal shelter at 5 North Q St. — featured costume and best-trick contests; local artists and painters; and activities for children and families.

Sheena Watson, managing director of the Humane Society of Pensacola, said about 1,500 people and hundreds dogs attended. Many people brought more than one animal, she said.

"This is a place for people to bring their pets and enjoy the company of other animal lovers," she said. "It's incredible, and we've had a terrific turnout."

Watson estimated the shelter raised between $8,000 and $10,000 during the festivities, and likely more than last year's total of $8,500.

"We won't know for sure until later this afternoon," she said Saturday. "But I think this will be our best year yet."

Humane Society volunteer Sherry Hightower said more than 50 people each paid $5 to enter the costume contest, one of the festivals highlights.

Dog costumes at the event were as varied as the breeds that wore them. A Great Dane sported a colorful tie-dyed bandana while a Shih Tzu pranced around in denim jeans and sunglasses.

"We use the money from the contests for vet costs, maintenance of the shelter and daily care for the animals," Hightower said. "We have to make sure that people always adopt healthy pets."

There is a $100 adoption fee, which also helps offset the cost of caring for the animals, she said.

Kim Cerbone and her three children live in Gulf Breeze. They came to Barktoberfest for the first time last year. She said the event has became a new family tradition.

"The first year we brought our puppy Toby, and this year we brought our new puppy Bailee," she said. "I love looking at all the different breeds, and I like all the costumes."

Default Re: would you dress a pet in costume for fun?

I wouldn't dress my cat in costume(lost my older female on Friday), simply because he wouldn't understand why he had to wear it, and he wouldn't like it.

I know people who sometimes dress their pets in costumes, and it only amazes me just how tolerant dogs, cats and other pets can be of their humans' eccentricities and follies.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Rilea
    I wouldn't dress my cat in costume(lost my older female on Friday), simply because he wouldn't understand why he had to wear it, and he wouldn't like it.

I know people who sometimes dress their pets in costumes, and it only amazes me just how tolerant dogs, cats and other pets can be of their humans' eccentricities and follies.
    Sorry to hear you lost her. The one in my icon would find a way out of any costume. My other one would just act all sad until someone took her out.

JT

Thank you, Jackie!!! Your condolences are much appreciated.

The late Annabelle Lee probably would have vocalised her protests at being put in such a position, and also probably would have tried to get away at the earliest conceivable opportunity.

As for Amigo, her house-mate and now the only feline resident at Casa Rilea, I think he might struggle a bit and mew his dis-pleasure as well.

Most cats, as you already know, just hate having anything put on top of their heads, and so on and so forth.

What amazes me, as I said in my last post, is the incredible tolerance and love shown to us silly humans by our animal friends, whenever we decide to do something daft, like putting baby or other clothes on them.

BTW, Jackie, your avatar kitty resembles the late Annabelle Lee, with only the latter having much longer hair and a Himalayan/Persian-type body.

She was shy and reserved with most humans, except for myself and a few others, had a purr like a motor, and was just a very loving cat.

I'll miss her greatly.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I'd have dressed my old dog in an outfit, if she'd have stayed still long enough. She'd have made a great Kryto the Super Dog, as she was completely white.

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

MISTER DINK IS GONNA BE A WIZARD. SELENE (oops) is gonna be a horse and we are gonna put a knight in shining armor on her back.

BookOfFaeye's Avatar Book Of Faeye

I have border collies I could not put them in a costume, I'd feel awful about it.

Poor doggies would be severely over heated. : /

i´d never give a pet any clothes, poor him!!

+ Reply to Thread