+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scars and Scarification?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Scars and Scarification?

Does anyone know a reliable source for what can be done (mods, tats, etc) with damaged skin? I'm interested specifically in options for healed third degree burns. The scars are slightly raised with a pink coloration. They do not have a severe affectation or the grainish "charcoal" appearance. I am looking for some real expertise in this area. I have not been satisfied with the information I have received to date. It would seem to be a very rare request.

JT

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Default Re: Scars and Scarification?

It's not that rare - covering scars with tats has been one of the only ways to 'hide' them until vascular lasers came around and I know two people who've had it done. I spoke to a dermatologist colleague about this last year (one of those people was asking the same questions you are) and she said it's perfectly possible to tattoo normal scar tissue (i.e. non-keloid) so long as it's over a year old but that ink doesn't fix very well. Apparently black is more likely to stay put (as it does with normal skin) but colors can fade within a few years if the tissue is still restructuring.

What you describe (raised, pinkish in color) is hypertrophic tissue, and depending on the precise color may still be too vascular to hold ink properly so I'd suggest showing them to a good artist, explaining all the details of when and what happened, and possibly getting a test pattern (a tiny outline shape in colored ink) to see what happens over the course of a year.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Scars and Scarification?

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    It's not that rare - covering scars with tats has been one of the only ways to 'hide' them until vascular lasers came around and I know two people who've had it done. I spoke to a dermatologist colleague about this last year (one of those people was asking the same questions you are) and she said it's perfectly possible to tattoo normal scar tissue (i.e. non-keloid) so long as it's over a year old but that ink doesn't fix very well. Apparently black is more likely to stay put (as it does with normal skin) but colors can fade within a few years if the tissue is still restructuring.

What you describe (raised, pinkish in color) is hypertrophic tissue, and depending on the precise color may still be too vascular to hold ink properly so I'd suggest showing them to a good artist, explaining all the details of when and what happened, and possibly getting a test pattern (a tiny outline shape in colored ink) to see what happens over the course of a year.
    Thanks. Unfortunately, there is some keloid scarring on one scar. Sounds like the other 2 would be a go. I've already had cosmetic surgery on them. They are essentially even with the rest of of my skin with just slight raises. It's been way over a year so .... guess I'll check out a few boutiques out here.JT

+ Reply to Thread