+ Reply to Thread

Thread: If someone you were dating wanted to run a credit report . . .

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default If someone you were dating wanted to run a credit report . . .

My follow up question is how would you react if someone you were dating wanted to run your credit?

Someone I was going to rent a house with (just a housemate situation and not romantic at all) once wanted to run my credit and I thought that was so creepy I moved to another state instead. I always paid my rent and I had a lot of housemates over the years who always paid their rent and that just seemed off to me. How about you all? How would you react if anyone you hang out with wanted to run your credit?

sunkarma's Avatar Evil666..reborn

Default Re: If someone you were dating wanted to run a credit report . . .

It would be wierd. I would find that intruding.

yes.... it's creepy?

Usualy people that tend's to do bad stuff aren't as wise to realize when being afraid of something done to them they show actualy what they tend to do to others.

For example cheaters are allways afraid that their partner will cheat them which manifests in big jealousy... well, bigger than usual

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Dating, yes.. but it's not unheard of and the old-fashioned way of meeting people (before we all found out you don't need friends or a job, just a mouse and a credit card) involved introductions and meetings where you kinda found that stuff out anyway - you didn't get their SSN but you asked what they did for a job, people knew if they had a nice house, etc.

Now you go on the quality of their webcam and what you can see in the background (blood-spattered tarp and a poster of Ed Gein isn't the best sign)

Renting a house though - I'd have no problem with and if I didn't know the other person romantically I'd want to know how likely they were to go on the lamb with my TiVo or trash the place and leave me with the bills, as there's less reason for them to care how I'd feel about it. It's a financial thing not just "hanging out", and these days it pays to be careful. You *say* you always paid your rent but if I didn't know that from people you'd dealt with in the past and that you still had a job that pays enough, it's no proof you'll keep doing it! I can guess the person that you're talking about was burnt by someone in the past and was protecting against a repeat - I think it's not only sensible but it should be done more often.

there's a good point...

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

shit, i flipped out when i never got my w2 from new york after moving back home so i would imagine i'd probably whoop some ass old school if i found out.i may act all sugar and spice with my man but i've got a kick like a mule! lol

ofcourse i do live in the number one state for identity theft too so.......that could have alot to do with it all.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    Dating, yes.. but it's not unheard of and the old-fashioned way of meeting people (before we all found out you don't need friends or a job, just a mouse and a credit card) involved introductions and meetings where you kinda found that stuff out anyway - you didn't get their SSN but you asked what they did for a job, people knew if they had a nice house, etc.

Now you go on the quality of their webcam and what you can see in the background (blood-spattered tarp and a poster of Ed Gein isn't the best sign)

Renting a house though - I'd have no problem with and if I didn't know the other person romantically I'd want to know how likely they were to go on the lamb with my TiVo or trash the place and leave me with the bills, as there's less reason for them to care how I'd feel about it. It's a financial thing not just "hanging out", and these days it pays to be careful. You *say* you always paid your rent but if I didn't know that from people you'd dealt with in the past and that you still had a job that pays enough, it's no proof you'll keep doing it! I can guess the person that you're talking about was burnt by someone in the past and was protecting against a repeat - I think it's not only sensible but it should be done more often.
    No, I had a fuck of a lot more "nice" stuff than they did. They lived with their parents and I already lived with housemates, who this person knew and who would have whined up one side and down the other if they'd had any reason. And my previous group living situation, we were pretty well known for being really aggressive about everybody paying their bills for house stuff on time. This person was not even slightly worried that I would steal their stuff or not pay rent. They just lived in Georgia and people are just insanely nosy there. Like seriously pathology level in other people's business. No offense to folks who make their home there, but I found it to be a pretty much city-wide mental problem in Atlanta. Something in the air maybe, but I've lived all over the world and even other Southern states don't seem to be like that.

Romantically speaking, if someone asked me if they could do that, I would simply tell them about my levels of debt, etc.

A lot of it really depends on how early in the relationship the question was asked, and the response to my asking why she would want to know.

If the question comes very early on in the relationship, before we've really begun to know each other well, and the response is either defensive or negative, I would refuse and end the relationship right then and there.

Trust is something that goes both ways, and has to be earned, especially in a romantic relationship, because the long-term consequences for both people involved are great.

If someone with whom am romantically involved wants to inquire about my credit history, genetic background, etc, before we've got to know each other well, but who is unwilling to be open about her reasons for those desires, that means the lady has some major trust problems on her part, and would then be unsuitable for me, I think.

its kinda like asking if someone's got stds. theres a rgh way of doing it and a wrong way of doing it.keeping in mind though-ladies especially, if you ask a man about if its okay to check his credit report he may think you wanna get maried or that youre a gold digger.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Nowadays, people are dangerous. Im seriously in debt and have a shitty credit score, like 420 or some bullshit, haha.

But I think its odd to ask about a credit history or report for a roomie with no romantic involvement with them. Then again, I did have a roomie leave me with all the bills after she flipped, cut up all my clothes and smeared her blood on the walls for me to try and clean up, ew. People are mental, but I wouldnt go that far as to ask for a credit report.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

check my criminal record...fine, but a credit check?.......that sort of intimacy has no place in personal relationships

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    Nowadays, people are dangerous. Im seriously in debt and have a shitty credit score, like 420 or some bullshit, haha.

But I think its odd to ask about a credit history or report for a roomie with no romantic involvement with them. Then again, I did have a roomie leave me with all the bills after she flipped, cut up all my clothes and smeared her blood on the walls for me to try and clean up, ew. People are mental, but I wouldnt go that far as to ask for a credit report.
    eeeeeeewwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she really did all that? soooooo gross.i'd have knocke der upside the head with a bucket and been like
    "bitch-clean it up and then buy me a new wardrobe!"
    that's fucked up.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Um yeah, Im serious;] BUT, good news was she avoided me for ummm...about 3 years after the fact. Bitch is still scared of me. But Im nice and told her it was cool.

wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    Um yeah, Im serious;] BUT, good news was she avoided me for ummm...about 3 years after the fact. Bitch is still scared of me. But Im nice and told her it was cool.
    ummmm... you should respect your self if you want others to respect you. I would never say "it's cool" to her in your place. I will probably do nothing after 3 years but still I wouldn't say "it's cool"

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    check my criminal record...fine, but a credit check?.......that sort of intimacy has no place in personal relationships
    OMGLOLZ!!!!1!!

This is gonna sound like a 180 of my opinion on the other thread but no, you do not get to look at my credit report.

My credit report is there for when we enter a contract. Period.

Did he also want to see your bank statements?
    That is silly. If i didn't think someone could tow the line, i wouldn't get a place with them, unless i was willing to pay the bills myself, if need be. If i know someone well enough to be house mates, i already know if they are reliable...

hey ,that happened too me ,, then she text'd a message sayin , sorry but you dont have a 760 cr ,, text;ed that she did'nt wanna see me any more and called me a loser ,,,,,, ahh the good old days ...

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

I'm a worrywort about money, but I don't think I'd ask for a credit report. OTOH, I wouldn't share a home with someone I didn't know and trust already. There is plenty of shit that could be a problem beyond purely financial issues.

+ Reply to Thread