+ Reply to Thread

Thread: should people be jailed for a messy lawn?!

and your little dog too

Default should people be jailed for a messy lawn?!

from yahoo

Prison staff helps man, 86, clean yard

Thu Dec 20, 8:07 PM ET

NEW CASTLE, Pa. - An 86-year-old man jailed for a week for not mowing high grass or cleaning trash from his yard has gotten help from prison staff hoping to keep him from going to the slammer again.

John Allen was sent to prison after being convicted of violating a Union Township law stating private property must be clear of junk, rubbish, garbage or unruly grass.

Union Township Police Chief Joseph Lombardo said Allen did not heed warnings to clean up his property, which neighbors complained was an eyesore. Allen also refused help from others in the neighborhood and from a group that assists the elderly, Lombardo said.

"I don't want local people in my house," Allen told the New Castle News when asked why he had turned down the help of friends and neighbors. "Ordinarily, I wouldn't let you through the front door."

But after seven days in jail, Allen agreed to accept an offer of help from Lawrence County prison staff.

So, about a dozen corrections officers spent several days this week at the elderly man's house. Working on their own time, they filled a garbage bin to the brim with old furniture and other household goods. They plan to get to the yard — including mowing the high grass — once the recent snow melts.

Allen, a World War II veteran who worked in the airline industry in California, praised the prison staff for treating him well when he was behind bars and for helping him stay out of more trouble.

"I've got nothing but good to say about the way they treated me," Allen said.

But despite the fond memories, Allen says he has no desire to return to jail. "Whoever wants to be incarcerated?" he asked.

___

Information from: New Castle News, http://www.ncnewsonline.com

Default Re: should people be jailed for a messy lawn?!

Ive had the cops and Eco service police at my door numerous times because my neighbor thinks that even a single leaf on the grass should be a violation.

It's complete bull about my situation, but then again if there is trash and extremely uncut grass then there should be some sort of fine, but i dont think prison is really the answer.

People who *smoke* grass get less time.

If it is not a health or safety issue, it should not be an issue. Uncut grass should not be a crime.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

first thing we did when we bought thisplace was rip all the grass out.....as if I'm going to work all day to pay a mortgage to come home and cut grass......grass is for sheep!!!all these people who have the need to compete with thier nieghbours by......tending a fucking lawn??? of course 80 percent of these lawns are burnt to shit by the middle of july anyway, and the ones that aren't you know that they're violateing the water bans

gawd...people and thier fucking lawns......

end rant

People here in GA are getting arrested and fined if they water their lawn because of the drought. Up to 3,000$ in some cases.
    Can't wash cars either. Im surprised they even let us flush toilets anymore.

yeah we get that too some summers, funny though how they keep building these monster home subdivisions when ther just isn't enough water to go around

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Hes frickin 86 years old and they put him in jail over a yard! People have no shame. Unless he happened to have something that was harmful, hazardous or his yard was smelling up the block I don't think he should have been punished for it simply being an eyesore.

Xochitl's Avatar Senior Member

All of this story has happened to my old landlord. He was always in a tiff with the city I am from. I think I have footage of all of it somewhere. He had a problem with major packrat behavior for awhile. He would just buy property to use to store stuff that was junk. It actually became a health hazard & his neighbors complained because it was ruining the value of their businesses & he did have some chickens & other animals stored as well. Still, the prison crews in orange vests came out for about 2 almost 3 days & they took away so much stuff. He got locked up before about it elsewhere in the city. I have to admit it was an eyesore but the rent was cheap, I just had to walk outside & see 7 non-running Volkswagon Rabbits with tons of junk stored in them. I did think it was crappy to do as my landlord was like 75 or something. Crazy but I do think jail was extreme.

Bedlamite

Lame. I've always thought it was lame for people to be able to tell you what to do with your own yard. I understand concerns about THEIR houses resale value, but seriously.

Now in the case of people who are clinical packrats, thats just a form of ocpd and putting them in jail is no answer, and certainly won't fix underlying problems.

I supose a bit messy is fine, it's filthy with old matresses/rotting garbage/apliances/excesive dog feces/a boat/insane amounts of dandilions.....that deserves a little stretch...lived next door to that for years and there's really not a damn thing you can do about it

+ Reply to Thread