+ Reply to Thread

Thread: should defrauded Trekkie sue auction house?

and your little dog too

Default should defrauded Trekkie sue auction house?

from msn

Trekkie Claims Auctioned Prop Was a Fake
    Dec. 28, 2007, 7:04 PM EST
    The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- A Trekkie who paid $6,000 for a poker visor that was supposedly worn by the android Data on the television show "Star Trek: The Next Generation" claims in a lawsuit against Christie's auction house that the prop is a fake.

Ted Moustakis, of Towaco, N.J., said he began to doubt the authenticity of the visor and other items he purchased at an auction of CBS Paramount props in 2006, after he brought it to a convention in August to have it autographed by the actor who played Data, Brent Spiner.

According to the lawsuit, Spiner recognized the visor as the one that had been sold by Christie's and told Moustakis that it wasn't the real deal. The actual visor had been sold by the actor himself some time ago.

Moustakis, who became a Star Trek fan at age 7, said he was humiliated.

"I thought this was a great piece of memorabilia to have, and I was so proud to get it," he said.

Christie's spokesman Rik Pike stood behind the authenticity of the auction and said the disgruntled buyer's case had no merit.

The lawsuit, filed in state court in Manhattan, demands millions of dollars in punitive damages and a refund for the visor and two other items Moustakis bought at the 2006 auction: a table that was part of a set on "The Next Generation" and a uniform that was in Data's wardrobe. Moustakis said he paid $6,600 for the table and $11,400 for the uniform.

He said that, upon close inspection, the table doesn't look like the ones that appeared the show, and the uniform appeared to be one of several made for the program, not a one-of-a-kind, as Moustakis believed it to be.

"They defrauded collectors, fans, honest people," said Moustakis' lawyer, Richard Borzouye. "It's negligent misrepresentation."

Calls and e-mails to CBS Paramount weren't immediately returned.

Default Re: should defrauded Trekkie sue auction house?

If even Brent says it isn't the real one, then thats a lawyers wet dream.

Although I never understood how people come up with dollar amounts in millions on cases like this. It's not like he lost his job or anything. A refund, yes.

Millions of dollars in damages? That's out of this world.

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

That's some bullshit. Trekkies deserve the same respect as anyone else when it comes to this stuff, and it looks like Christie's is using their name to gain big bucks. Bad juju!

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Dear Girls:

Trekkies apparently make enough to be able to afford a $6000 poker visor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    Dear Girls:

Trekkies apparently make enough to be able to afford a $6000 poker visor.
    iknorite?

The more you know.

+ Reply to Thread