+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unexpected PSA from MTV

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Unexpected PSA from MTV

Somebody must have peed in somebody's Frosted Flakes, this is a bit less tow the line than people have come to expect from Mtv in years. Interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTOuq4pY10o

Default Re: Unexpected PSA from MTV

Just as interesting are the politics espoused by "Uruk", the poster of this video on YouTube.

He or she seems to be of the White Nationalist, albeit, given his or her positive mention of Ron Paul, with something of a libertarian conservative flavour thrown into the mix, persuasion.

Rather dodgy, "Uruk" is.

Would love to know what prompted MTV to commission this video.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

fuck mtv. fuck them with a cactus.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

yeah...interesting, not much else though

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

Donald come on, how do you get white nationalist out of that? Its more a the government might turn on it own people, what can lead to that.

Remember religion cover all race as show all in this Psa. Prime example. would be the Balkans more than anything to so it. That would have been a better example, that this could happen to anyone. But I do understand that dumb masses of the US could not find the Balkans on maps. Lets hope they do know about the 1940s....

well i have yet again put to much on text to this lol

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

This is a Public Service Announcement from MTV:

Watch 6 straight hours of that dating show where people are on a bus and or thier parents hate the person that they are dating, or they date the parents of thier prospective date, or Jackass reruns.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus88
    But I do understand that dumb masses of the US could not find the Balkans on maps.
    I'm worried about the one's that can't find the US on a map.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WALIARHHLII

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

masses of the US could not find the Balkans on maps...

Balkans? Those are the ones with the pointed ears that say 'Live long and prosper' right?

Ok you got me Forrest, I was a little vage on that. Balkan Peninsula what I should have said, let alone they could not find the countries. Lets see if can name them all Greece, Europe Turkey, Romania, Serbia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Albania, Bulgaria, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia .. maybe Moldova...

sickybuaaaaa's Avatar Mistress of asskickery

You bastard! Slovenia is not a part of the Balkan area!
    ... says the average slovenian. I, on the other hand, don't care all that much about such categorizing. But I know some Slovenians who would be quite pissed off at someone for saying it's a part of the Balkan since we usually prefer to distance ourselves from that "undeveloped" region

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sickybuaaaaa
    You bastard! Slovenia is not a part of the Balkan area!
    ... says the average slovenian. I, on the other hand, don't care all that much about such categorizing. But I know some Slovenians who would be quite pissed off at someone for saying it's a part of the Balkan since we usually prefer to distance ourselves from that "undeveloped" region
    hahaha I was wondering if you'd say something about that

OEC

Well I had to Gotta represent my country, hell yeah! Haha, not really, but I was laughing like a moron when I imagined the faces of more nationalistic people round here if someone said that to them. They'd be pissed off, for sure

isn't slovenia surrounded by 5 different counties?

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I'm worried about the one's that can't find the US on a map.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WALIARHHLII
    not really sure what she said

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

Donald come on, how do you get white nationalist out of that? Its more a the government might turn on it own people, what can lead to that.
    that uruk posted this vid doesnt show any white nationalism, but his rant that accompanies it and some of his other posted videos do.

Well evil Ill review it again see if can see anything. I believe he or she is talking more about how the media caters more to the left than the right. In any form Republican or not... I really do not see White Nationalism in any of he or she political videos.

But again Ill look closer, try to see what so many have pointed out....

no white nationalism in that video.......just someones pathetic attempt at trying to convince the world that his own paranoid fantasies can come close to the things that this world is really capable of

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I didn't even watch the video, I just really don't like mtv.

Sorry for being late in posting this reply to Bacchus' first comment.

He is right. I mis-labeled the fella's politics.

They're not White Nationalist as in Aryan Nation, nazi-skinheads, and all that sort of rot.

They're a mix of anti-Latino, anti-Muslim and anti-Jewish sentiments and statements, thrown in with a dollop of conspiracy theory about the coming imposition of the "North American Union" within the next few years, and ended with a pun on the old V-8 vegetable juice ad-line, "We should have had a Ron Paul", hence, my bit about just a dash of libertarian conservatism thrown in.

My comments were entirely about Mr. "Uruk"'s text accompanying the video, and not about the video itself.

From what I've seen of it, it looks like a well-meaning, but probably very ham-handed, way of getting the point across about the Holocaust having happened to very real people at a very real point in history.

Essentially, it's MTV's way of trying to make the Holocaust and the events behind it "relevant" to modern youth.

Whether it works or not, I can't say for sure.

It may with some, but, it may completely go over the heads of others, leave others still coldly indifferent, or completely turn other young people off to the subject.

All depends on the individual kid, the influences around him or her, and how he or she's feeling whenever he or she watches the ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Rilea
    Sorry for being late in posting this reply to Bacchus' first comment.

He is right. I mis-labeled the fella's politics.

They're not White Nationalist as in Aryan Nation, nazi-skinheads, and all that sort of rot.

They're a mix of anti-Latino, anti-Muslim and anti-Jewish sentiments and statements, thrown in with a dollop of conspiracy theory about the coming imposition of the "North American Union" within the next few years, and ended with a pun on the old V-8 vegetable juice ad-line, "We should have had a Ron Paul", hence, my bit about just a dash of libertarian conservatism thrown in.

My comments were entirely about Mr. "Uruk"'s text accompanying the video, and not about the video itself.

From what I've seen of it, it looks like a well-meaning, but probably very ham-handed, way of getting the point across about the Holocaust having happened to very real people at a very real point in history.

Essentially, it's MTV's way of trying to make the Holocaust and the events behind it "relevant" to modern youth.

Whether it works or not, I can't say for sure.

It may with some, but, it may completely go over the heads of others, leave others still coldly indifferent, or completely turn other young people off to the subject.

All depends on the individual kid, the influences around him or her, and how he or she's feeling whenever he or she watches the ad.

Donald we are talking about MTV of all things, they are music there not political station. So butchering thing are in there nature. Donald, when you called a white nationalist I was a little offend. I will admit this I am boarder line that, I do not see White Nationalism as bad thing. Neo Nazi, and the alot give those like me bad name...I am very much so against, those who tare down others to promoted themselves.

I'm not sure that I'm following you here bachus. what do you mean by "white nationalist"?

Generally the term Nationalist has jingoistic conotations, as opposed to the more passively accepted form of national solidarity- "Patriotic."

I can understand the later meaning, as well as it's implication to be free from foriegn (corruption is perhaps too strong a word) interferences. But I don't really see what so-called white ethnicity has to do with national priority. It seems to me to be a case of supporting state sponsored and sanctioned racial discrimination?

I know that there are many people who are in support of racial segration, not out of a sense of discrimination, but because they recognize, truthfully, that the state of racial integration, "the metling pot", is an imposed social movement, and not a naturally occuring phenominon, and they see that as artificial and leading to inevitable racial conflict. I don't know if that is the case here.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

"White Nationalist" is the way racists like to "rebrand" themselves, so as not to say something that now has a negative connotation.

well, I know that, but I was giving our member the benefit of the doubt. although, the 88 is a nazi affiliation, so maybe that's a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    isn't slovenia surrounded by 5 different counties?
    four.

Donald we are talking about MTV of all things, they are music there not political station. So butchering thing are in there nature. Donald, when you called a white nationalist I was a little offend. I will admit this I am boarder line that, I do not see White Nationalism as bad thing. Neo Nazi, and the alot give those like me bad name...I am very much so against, those who tare down others to promoted themselves.
    Bacchus: I was talking about the politics in the text comments put up by "Uruk", not in the video itself, when he posted it to YouTube.

That said, with all due respect to you, I don't care for "Uruk's" politics, not in the least little bit.

They're rooted in the assumption, which is both racist and false, that the only "normal" Americans are of White, Anglo-Saxon, or assimilated non-Anglo-Saxon European descent, Protestant(Catholics and Jews are just kinda sorta included) stock, that America is the only decent place on the planet in which to live, and that there is this giant conspiracy out there to undermine the US and put it under the control of some greater outside force, whether it's a shadowy "New World Order", the UN or the "North American Union", which "Uruk" mentioned.

Now, it's true, as you pointed out, that "Uruk's" politics don't fit in the confines of White Nationalist politics.

Sorry if you were offended by my use of that term, and it was inaccurate, for which I apologise.

But, I will say that "Uruk's" politics are also not that far away on the political spectrum from White Nationalist politics, in many of their assumptions and ideas.

Yeah, "Uruk" and people like him might not call for a "White Homeland" carved out of the US, but, if they had their way, some form of white supremacy, probably of the kind we had in this country prior to the 1960's, would exist here.

Unfortunately, one of the default settings of American society is one form or another of white racism, and it has only been within the last two generations that we've made any serious efforts to get away from that.

It hasn't been easy to do, and there have been a lot of mistakes and fuck-ups made along the way.

But, I would say that, compared with where we were in 1948 or '58, we've come a long way from the kind of heavily bigoted society we were then.

The kinds of legal segregation practised in the American South then are gone, as is, though I could be wrong on this here, much of the kinds of customary segregation in terms of selling houses in neighbourhoods according to the customer's racial or ethnic background found in the North, Midwest and Far West.

That doesn't mean, however, that racism and a lot of the other traditional prejudices have died out.

They've been either marginalised, like the various White Nationalist movements are, or they've gone semi-hidden, like in the comment made by Geraldine Ferraro about Sen. Obama a couple of days ago, and discussed in another thread here.

Hell, the rash of minature nooses being placed at various spots around the country after what happened in Jena, Louisiana, last year are evidence that racism isn't entirely dead here, nor, as Michael Richards' little outburst or, again, Ms. Ferraro's comments a few days ago show, is it exclusively the province of marginal Far Right individuals and groups.

Yes, Virginia, even so-called progressives, liberals and moderates can be racists, too.

It's, as I said before, one of the default settings in American society, it's been around since before this country even existed, and, it quite probably will be here for quite some time to come.

This didn't emerge overnight, and won't go away overnight, either.

That takes a lot of work, serious examination of the culture and of oneself, and a commitment by as many Americans as possible, of all backgrounds, NOT to repeat the same dum-dum ideas, words and actions of many of our ancestors.

It means that we take responsibility for what we say and do here now, and in the future, because, unlike the past, those events we can control.

Finally, the last thing I'll say about White Nationalism, or nationalism of any sort, really, is that, generally speaking, the worst thing about it is not so much the assumptions, ideas, words and images that it uses to gain support, but the actions that it inspires.

People being beaten up, having their doors kicked in, being driven out of a given neighbourhood or area, having their houses burnt down, ***** or watching family members *****, stabbed or shot are some of the very real results of what nationalism and its supporters run amok, can do.

We've seen it in Lebanon, the ex-Yugoslavia, Northern Ireland, the West Bank and Gaza Strip, Darfur, and any number of other spots around the world in our lifetimes.

It's happened, in one form or another, in the US, too, with the various Indian Wars, race riots, lynchings, and other forms of bullying and brutality, great and small, that have been inflicted by either individuals or groups of European descent on those of non-European descent.

The prevalent assumption behind all of that can be boiled down to this phrase, "I'm a big, bad whatever, you're a piece of diddley-shit, and I can do whatever I want to you, because I'm a big, bad whatever."

It's the impulse to bully and brutalise that I object to the most in the various forms of nationalism, and it's that impulse that leads to folks winding up good and dead, or at least wishing they were.

I doubt that very few nationalists, racists, what have you, ever really think about the very real consequences of their words and actions, and that, instead of being the ones giving the orders or supervising those actions being carried out, they're the ones actually having to do them, or, they are the victims of actions like those.

There is a very long way from being a planner or supervisor of mass round-ups, deportations or killings, and being either an actual participant or victim of those actions.

Either way leaves scars, some physical, others mental, and a whole lifetime of problems, fears and regrets to live with.

Only the dead have none of that, but, being dead, there's nothing they can think, say or do about anything anyway.

In the end, the kinds of policies and actions carried out by militant nationalists of whatever stripe you care to name that result in people being driven out, injured or killed are wasteful mis-uses of time, resources, talent and people that could have been otherwise used to successfully address and fix the various social, economic and other problems that helped spark those movements to life to start.

I don't think that the kind of waste I'm talking about here is something of which anyone, at least deep down in their souls, can really be proud, and as for those who can, well, I for one, don't want to be around such folk if I can help it.

Sorry for the dissertation here, Folks.

It's just an MTV video folks I actually doubt they are doing much beyond trying for a shock value. I don't see a cohesive message there beyond "This can happen to us/you". Someone may have posted it on youtube to give a more sinister message. Regardless, I just see this as an attempt by mtv to seem subversive via hyperbole. I would actually prefer they not morph anything into tragic events of the 20th Century.

OEC

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

zealots of any cause are cause to be concerned

No no ! 88 was my number when i played High school football. I'll change it, if anyone wants me to. Sorry to all if I offended anyone, back to topic at hand. I should not type when I am already geared up, from work.

Quote Originally Posted by Head Wreck
    zealots of any cause are cause to be concerned
    Absolutely. We're giving some chav who happened to post the video undue attention at this point though.

OEC

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Rilea
    Bacchus: I was talking about the politics in the text comments put up by "Uruk", not in the video itself, when he posted it to YouTube.

That said, with all due respect to you, I don't care for "Uruk's" politics, not in the least little bit.

They're rooted in the assumption, which is both racist and false, that the only "normal" Americans are of White, Anglo-Saxon, or assimilated non-Anglo-Saxon European descent, Protestant(Catholics and Jews are just kinda sorta included) stock, that America is the only decent place on the planet in which to live, and that there is this giant conspiracy out there to undermine the US and put it under the control of some greater outside force, whether it's a shadowy "New World Order", the UN or the "North American Union", which "Uruk" mentioned.

Now, it's true, as you pointed out, that "Uruk's" politics don't fit in the confines of White Nationalist politics.

Sorry if you were offended by my use of that term, and it was inaccurate, for which I apologise.

But, I will say that "Uruk's" politics are also not that far away on the political spectrum from White Nationalist politics, in many of their assumptions and ideas.

Yeah, "Uruk" and people like him might not call for a "White Homeland" carved out of the US, but, if they had their way, some form of white supremacy, probably of the kind we had in this country prior to the 1960's, would exist here.

Unfortunately, one of the default settings of American society is one form or another of white racism, and it has only been within the last two generations that we've made any serious efforts to get away from that.

It hasn't been easy to do, and there have been a lot of mistakes and fuck-ups made along the way.

But, I would say that, compared with where we were in 1948 or '58, we've come a long way from the kind of heavily bigoted society we were then.

The kinds of legal segregation practised in the American South then are gone, as is, though I could be wrong on this here, much of the kinds of customary segregation in terms of selling houses in neighbourhoods according to the customer's racial or ethnic background found in the North, Midwest and Far West.

That doesn't mean, however, that racism and a lot of the other traditional prejudices have died out.

They've been either marginalised, like the various White Nationalist movements are, or they've gone semi-hidden, like in the comment made by Geraldine Ferraro about Sen. Obama a couple of days ago, and discussed in another thread here.

Hell, the rash of minature nooses being placed at various spots around the country after what happened in Jena, Louisiana, last year are evidence that racism isn't entirely dead here, nor, as Michael Richards' little outburst or, again, Ms. Ferraro's comments a few days ago show, is it exclusively the province of marginal Far Right individuals and groups.

Yes, Virginia, even so-called progressives, liberals and moderates can be racists, too.

It's, as I said before, one of the default settings in American society, it's been around since before this country even existed, and, it quite probably will be here for quite some time to come.

This didn't emerge overnight, and won't go away overnight, either.

That takes a lot of work, serious examination of the culture and of oneself, and a commitment by as many Americans as possible, of all backgrounds, NOT to repeat the same dum-dum ideas, words and actions of many of our ancestors.

It means that we take responsibility for what we say and do here now, and in the future, because, unlike the past, those events we can control.

Finally, the last thing I'll say about White Nationalism, or nationalism of any sort, really, is that, generally speaking, the worst thing about it is not so much the assumptions, ideas, words and images that it uses to gain support, but the actions that it inspires.

People being beaten up, having their doors kicked in, being driven out of a given neighbourhood or area, having their houses burnt down, ***** or watching family members *****, stabbed or shot are some of the very real results of what nationalism and its supporters run amok, can do.

We've seen it in Lebanon, the ex-Yugoslavia, Northern Ireland, the West Bank and Gaza Strip, Darfur, and any number of other spots around the world in our lifetimes.

It's happened, in one form or another, in the US, too, with the various Indian Wars, race riots, lynchings, and other forms of bullying and brutality, great and small, that have been inflicted by either individuals or groups of European descent on those of non-European descent.

The prevalent assumption behind all of that can be boiled down to this phrase, "I'm a big, bad whatever, you're a piece of diddley-shit, and I can do whatever I want to you, because I'm a big, bad whatever."

It's the impulse to bully and brutalise that I object to the most in the various forms of nationalism, and it's that impulse that leads to folks winding up good and dead, or at least wishing they were.

I doubt that very few nationalists, racists, what have you, ever really think about the very real consequences of their words and actions, and that, instead of being the ones giving the orders or supervising those actions being carried out, they're the ones actually having to do them, or, they are the victims of actions like those.

There is a very long way from being a planner or supervisor of mass round-ups, deportations or killings, and being either an actual participant or victim of those actions.

Either way leaves scars, some physical, others mental, and a whole lifetime of problems, fears and regrets to live with.

Only the dead have none of that, but, being dead, there's nothing they can think, say or do about anything anyway.

In the end, the kinds of policies and actions carried out by militant nationalists of whatever stripe you care to name that result in people being driven out, injured or killed are wasteful mis-uses of time, resources, talent and people that could have been otherwise used to successfully address and fix the various social, economic and other problems that helped spark those movements to life to start.

I don't think that the kind of waste I'm talking about here is something of which anyone, at least deep down in their souls, can really be proud, and as for those who can, well, I for one, don't want to be around such folk if I can help it.

Sorry for the dissertation here, Folks.
    I'm kind of YouTube ignorant, so the info on the original poster may be totally obvious, but where do you see their politics? Is there something you can quote from where they are jingoistic or racist? I'm just totally missing it.

The MTV PSA is kinda cool I think. Although I'm with Voltaire's cactus plan.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I'm kind of YouTube ignorant, so the info on the original poster may be totally obvious, but where do you see their politics? Is there something you can quote from where they are jingoistic or racist? I'm just totally missing it.

Tape it. And please please please put it on BB.

finaly I get it...does psa stand for public service announcment?

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G

Ms. Amelia, you requested it, so here it is, the accompanying text post by "Uruk", the Man, the Myth, the Moron, in all its glory, cut and pasted here for you and everyone else to see:

Someone put a lot of money into that. Yes we'd like to assume its for the peoples best interest.
    Now that we know it takes a lot of money, then realize we need an OK from the network.
    And thats even harder now a days, after fines and breasts hanging out via pop stars.

Who would MTV have to ask? The same people putting out such conditioning as Jericho. (And CBS)
    Viacom.

With the pending North American Union, the push to embrace hispanics, and the new word from the top to change advertising to accomidate indoctrination, do you think the vehicle that has spent over 2 decades brainwashing kids, the same people that brought us ganster rap, is interested in warning us?

I remember dozens of the "Tolerance" ads throughout the 90s
    The Old Navy ads.
    That it was non stop.
    Now there is a resurgence of "The Holocaust" never happened, and an Anti Israel flavor around....(And in NY where MTV is.)

Might there not be something else here? To even equate thinking there is something wrong with Muslim, Jewish and a hefty look at it being almost Apocalyptic to have any anger towards others at this time?
    Remember what we know about all of MSM. How we have watched them shape the news and 'elections'
    Enter left MTV and very high and in the triple thousands to make these videos. If they were concerned about this, I think they'd actually dedicate a show. I know Canada said something about Loose Change once but, was it just once? and was it an expensive commercial (OR SEVERAL?)

Unless, we do have that mysterious billionaire????

As the now sell out Dennis Miller says "its just my opinion, I could be wrong'
    And I hope I am....
    But.........its up to us people, just us. Lets take advantage of the Ron Paul meetups to springboard our Revolution for LIberty.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    fuck mtv. fuck them with a cactus.
    Voltaire: Been wanting to ask you this, since I first saw this post, but why would you want to inflict such a traumatic event as fucking MTV on a perfectly innocent and useful desert plant ???

Friends don't let friends abuse cacti.

MTV, on the other hand, is another story entirely.

No no ! 88 was my number when i played High school football. I'll change it, if anyone wants me to. Sorry to all if I offended anyone, back to topic at hand. I should not type when I am already geared up, from work.
    it wouldn't be the first time on this board.

I don't think anyone was offended. and I didn't really want to make any assumptions, that's why I threw that stuff out there on both ends. just wondering what your position was, because I was looking for some clarification on what you said.

+ Reply to Thread