+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Geraldine Ferraro Quote

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Geraldine Ferraro Quote

"Any time anybody does anything that in any way pulls this campaign down and says let's address reality and the problems we're facing in this world, you're accused of being racist, so you have to shut up. Racism works in two different directions. I really think they're attacking me because I'm white. How's that?"

See http://www.dailykos.com to read and watch Ferraro's previous words of wisdom. I would love to know who "they" refers to.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Geraldine Ferraro Quote

I wish that 'they' could start these news stories by printing what exactly was said to start these stupid storeis, because without that the whole story becomes a useless waste of space

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    I wish that 'they' could start these news stories by printing what exactly was said to start these stupid storeis, because without that the whole story becomes a useless waste of space
    Started with her saying Obama was a viable candidate only due to being a black man. The claim of racism against her "whiteness" was her response when called out on it. She resigned from the Clinton Campaign today. Game Over for Gerry. "They" were never named. I assume she means anyone who finds her a race baiting imbecile? I don't know. I won't call her "racist" although many have.

OEC

I think Ms. Ferraro was quoted as having said that Sen. Obama would not have got as far as he has, if he weren't black.

In some of the comment debates I followed on the Washington Post(about Obama's victory in the Mississippi Democratic primary on Monday), and on various liberal blogs afterwards, I also saw counter-assertions by some of Sen. Obama's supporters that Sen. Rodham-Clinton wouldn't have got as far as she has if she weren't, A, a woman, and B, the wife of a former president.

There is a lot of semi-covert racism, as well as not-so-covert anti-Muslim feeling, and both semi-hidden and overt sexism, being displayed by partisans of both Obama and Rodham-Clinton, in and outside of the media, and none of it does either the candidates nor their supporters very much credit at all.

As for Ms. Ferraro having resigned, that's all very well and good, but a bit on the late side.

She should have put a great deal more thought into what she was going to say, before opening her mouth on that question.

Ms. Ferraro didn't, and is having to pay for it, as a result.

Ferraro: When I see John Lewis ... a civil rights leader, why in God's name did he change his vote from Hillary to Barack Obama. I'll tell you why, because he faces -- he's not going to lose a Democratic primary in his district in two years, but he sure as hell will face one if he sticks it to Barack Obama when he has a greater majority of blacks in his district ... I'm so disappointed in him I could die.

I look at Rosa DeLauro up in Connecticut. She represents New Haven. Tell me -- I don't care what she says -- tell me why she's endorsing Barack Obama ... and then came to his defense on an issue like choice where he voted six times maybe, when he voted present -- I'm like a lunatic about this stuff ...

If Barack Obama were a white man, would we be talking about this as a potential real problem for Hillary? If he were a woman of any color, would he be in this position?

That was one of several quotes. People can certainly click on http://www.dailykos.com for pretty much everything she's ever said.

There is a major difference to me in comparing an immutable trait (race) to being a first lady. I would also contend that had Senator Clinton not been First Lady, she would not be a Senator even. I would say the same had she been President and Bill later ran, however. I would disagree with statements that imply gender was the only factor.

OEC

PS: Obama is winning the race. It is mathematically dubious that Clinton can catch him in actual pledged delegates (even with the bullshit FL and MI revote). Would we be in this position if the Clintons had any decency? I think not. I think it boils down to a bad person who would prefer to take Obama down with her if she can't be President.

Not disagreeing with you, OEC, especially as I don't care for Sen. Rodham-Clinton at all.

Frankly, it's her continuous support for the Iraq War, until about a year or so ago, that turned me completely off to her.

I agree with you on the difference about Obama's racial quality being immutable, as opposed to Rodham-Clinton's qualities as outlined in those counter-arguments, which smack of the same kind of logic as, "Yeah??!! Well, so's yer mudder!!!!".

Both sets of arguments stink, but I would say that Ms. Ferraro's does a bit more, because it is based in a very slightly veiled form of racism.

It's the old "Well, he just got the job, 'cos he's a-BLEEEEP!!!!" kind of resentment that has traditionally been found on the American Right.

That doesn't mean it's been its exclusive province, however.

Personally, I have to wonder how Ms. Ferraro would have reacted if the interviewer, in his response, had taken his cue from her line of reasoning and asked her, "Excuse me, Ms. Ferraro, but would you say that you've come as far as you have because you're a spaghetti-bender, a bead-pusher, or just a bloody woman???".

I don't, and wouldn't, condone that kind of reasoning or questioning. However, it does amuse me to imagine the look on Ms. Ferraro's face, if the interviewer had asked her that after the statements she made.

If I were the show's producer, however, I would be on the phone to the local morgue, to arrange a body pick-up, and I'd be telling my human resources manager that a new on-air vacancy's about to open up.

If I had anything else to say to either Ms. Ferraro or Sen. Rodham-Clinton about this whole affair, it would be these two phrases, "Ya hadda open yer big, fat mouth!!!", and, "Ye canna have it both ways, lassie!!!!".

Will close on a paraphrase of this quote by John Vernon as Dean Wormer in "Animal House", "Loud, arrogant and obnoxious is no way to go through life, Sweetheart."

+ Reply to Thread