+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Hubris?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default My Hubris?

Before my last trip to CA, I was searched by Homeland Security. I was on my way to a Jesus and Mary Chain show that would commence shortly after I landed in San Francisco. I was dressed for the occasion. For those who haven't seen photos: I have platinum hair, wear glasses now, and tend towards a minimalist look (ie I love Shrine now amongst others).

I knew I was going to be searched. One agent stood roughly adjacent to me, pointed, and another proceeded to the checkpoint. Sure enough: I was motioned to an agent. It all just struck me as funny for some reason. A female agent combed through a book I had brought for the flight (A Compleat Gentleman by Brad Miner) ftr. It's not a tome I agree with even, but it was funny to watch a TSA agent look for clues given the title.

I joked around with the "good cop". The conversation mostly revolved around poking a bit of fun at Wisconsin (his son goes to a Minnesota school, it pisses some off WI residents get reduced tuition). He tried to "jam me up" a few times. The most obvious being asking about the show in MPLS (I was about to board a plane for SF). I was never seriously scared or even embarassed. I started getting annoyed as my boarding time approached.

My only response to this display of authority: I wanted the female agent to suck my dick. It was an active, although not erotic, thought on my mind. I wanted to turn the tables.

Should I have been more offended? Nervous? I've rarely mentioned this incident. The trip to SF was just amazing. I basically forgot about it. Given the incidents I see mentioned here, should I be bothered by it? I take a med that all but eliminates any fight or flight reaction. Talking to Homeland Security is physiologically akin to talking to someone in a cafe to me.

Any thoughts? I fought the law and forgot to give a fuck.

OEC

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: My Hubris?

I guess it depends on if you are used to dealing with authority figures or not. I suppose to some it can be daunting. To me, I'm used to it, so I don't have any expectations. I know what they are about and what they are going to do. If I don't have any reason to be guilty, then I assume I am probably going to be allright. If I do have a reason to be guilty, then I assume I am probably going to get into some trouble, and be sent to the principals office. either way I'm not too worried about the situation.

and I always expect that they are going to think I'm a terrorist when I go to the airport, amongst the sea of laptops and business suits. "excuse me, sir, your socio-economic status is showing."

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I guess it depends on if you are used to dealing with authority figures or not. I suppose to some it can be daunting. To me, I'm used to it, so I don't have any expectations. I know what they are about and what they are going to do. If I don't have any reason to be guilty, then I assume I am probably going to be allright. If I do have a reason to be guilty, then I assume I am probably going to get into some trouble, and be sent to the principals office. either way I'm not too worried about the situation.

and I always expect that they are going to think I'm a terrorist when I go to the airport, amongst the sea of laptops and business suits. "excuse me, sir, your socio-economic status is showing."
    I've dealt with cops in the context of shows and such. They've never really phased me. Once I get a read on em, it's pretty easy. I was dressed better than them though! Which one not like the other one.

OEC

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

those homeland security guys seem to be from the same cloning vat on my last visit. customs officers who checked my baggage were typical of the people i met from thereon in. very pleasant and polite. we could use that over here, customs on the way back into the UK were very different, but helpfull none the less

Quote Originally Posted by Head Wreck
    those homeland security guys seem to be from the same cloning vat on my last visit. customs officers who checked my baggage were typical of the people i met from thereon in. very pleasant and polite. we could use that over here, customs on the way back into the UK were very different, but helpfull none the less
    They were polite. There was a definite undercurrent though. It's all about composure. Problem being: It will turn some off to flying should the questioning go south.

OEC

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I remember reading in "What is Goth" by Voltaire that he has been hassled in the past when he's been travelling, as he used to always wear his famous Skull Jumper on planes because it was comfortable. He was running late one day and was wearing his suit this one time. He just breezed through customs and was treated like a business man. Now, he apparently always wears his suit when he flies.

Maybe we should put it to the test.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

note to self. dont wear my pirate biker leathers....

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

One time after flying, when I got home I opened up my luggage and there was a nice little note that said "your luggage has been searched by airport security. We apologize for this inconvenience." I was like "Oh, OK? cool." It was very strange. I guess i'm glad they didn't detonate it.

no, I didn't have a dildo. I know you were wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    I remember reading in "What is Goth" by Voltaire that he has been hassled in the past when he's been travelling, as he used to always wear his famous Skull Jumper on planes because it was comfortable. He was running late one day and was wearing his suit this one time. He just breezed through customs and was treated like a business man. Now, he apparently always wears his suit when he flies.

Maybe we should put it to the test.
    Was never searched before that. I remember joking they'd think "Nah, too obvious". I don't remember specifics on what I wore on various flights though. On average, I am guessing I would come across more conservative than many folks here. There is more of a dark flare only. My demeanor tends not to raise suspicion.

OEC

One time after flying, when I got home I opened up my luggage and there was a nice little note that said "your luggage has been searched by airport security. We apologize for this inconvenience." I was like "Oh, OK? cool." It was very strange. I guess i'm glad they didn't detonate it.

no, I didn't have a dildo. I know you were wondering.
    Interesting. I haven't had luggage flagged to date.

OEC

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

I brought two glass dildos (for friends) through TSA at Christmas.

TSA guy was all YELLING and stuff... WHOSE BAG IS THIS???!??! WE HAVE A SITUATION!!!!!

Taking them out and holding them in each hand... "CARE TO EXPLAIN WHAT THESE ARE SIR"

I'm like "YOU ARE HOLDING A GLASS DILDO IN EACH HAND, BY THE SHAFT, AND RATHER EXPERTLY, AT THAT."

He actually asked, in his disorientation (a group of laughing Xmas travellers rattled him), "what for" to which I said "THEY ARE TYPICALLY INSERTED INTO THE.."

To say I was quickly packed up and sent on my way was an understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk

TSA guy was all YELLING and stuff... WHOSE BAG IS THIS???!??! WE HAVE A SITUATION!!!!!

Taking them out and holding them in each hand... "CARE TO EXPLAIN WHAT THESE ARE SIR"

I'm like "YOU ARE HOLDING A GLASS DILDO IN EACH HAND, BY THE SHAFT, AND RATHER EXPERTLY, AT THAT."

He actually asked, in his disorientation (a group of laughing Xmas travellers rattled him), "what for" to which I said "THEY ARE TYPICALLY INSERTED INTO THE.."

Seriously? That's both fucked-up yet hilarious at once.

OEC

Seriously.

And my friends appreciated their Xmas gifts.

Seriously.

And my friends appreciated their Xmas gifts.
    Righteous! (Marks Get More Rabbits and Hitachi Wands prior to next flight)

OEC

OEC -- While a person who looks different from the norm should expect to get stopped, only a person who looks like a foreigner is likely to have much cause to worry.

Bikerpunk -- Awesome story!

I am a cute, petite girl who doesn't look too overtly out-there most of the time, and I've never been searched, stopped or in any way hassled while flying. The last time I went through customs was on my way back from Cancun. The guy I was with was warning me about how customs officers are really strict when you're coming back to the U.S. and was telling me about the annoying times he's had in the past. To his shock, the customs dude chatted with me chummily (so, he took you to Cancun, eh? did he show you a good time?) and then waved us through after the most basic of questions.

I buy my friends sex toys. Good ones. It's kinda my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by batzilla
    OEC -- While a person who looks different from the norm should expect to get stopped, only a person who looks like a foreigner is likely to have much cause to worry.

Bikerpunk -- Awesome story!

I am a cute, petite girl who doesn't look too overtly out-there most of the time, and I've never been searched, stopped or in any way hassled while flying. The last time I went through customs was on my way back from Cancun. The guy I was with was warning me about how customs officers are really strict when you're coming back to the U.S. and was telling me about the annoying times he's had in the past. To his shock, the customs dude chatted with me chummily (so, he took you to Cancun, eh? did he show you a good time?) and then waved us through after the most basic of questions.
    I have no expectations one way or another. I found some of the quasi-interrogation methods mildly amusing. I was never worried. I was beginning to get annoyed as my flight time arrived. The "Good Cop" had a limited repertoire. I have always enjoyed alienation to some extent. Thus, I always wonder if I downplay what might be more troubling to other folks.

OEC

Creepshow's Avatar i'll skin you alive.

We were at the airport in...shit. Somewhere. lol and the security dudes took my friend Rob and searched him, his shit, and went through his camera.
    so i guess he looks like a serial killer or something. lol.
    And then they took my other friends apple.

They made me take my belt off once and my pants fell down to my upper thigh. I had on no underwear but luckily had on a long shirt.. Since then I hold up my pants at the airport

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Yea, I've had those nice lil notes in my luggage a couple times. I'm surprised I didn't get one this last time, as I had a necklace in there that was shaped as a machine gun and had a peace sign on it (Tank Girl).

Quote Originally Posted by SyntheticShock
    Yea, I've had those nice lil notes in my luggage a couple times. I'm surprised I didn't get one this last time, as I had a necklace in there that was shaped as a machine gun and had a peace sign on it (Tank Girl).
    Just don't tap dance in the stalls if you fly out of MPLS. They may say you're cruising for some action.

OEC

HAHA! Yea, does that apply to women as well? I never thoguht about that. Maybe someone should test it out.

HAHA! Yea, does that apply to women as well? I never thoguht about that. Maybe someone should test it out.
    Theoretically, it would have to. I don't think they have a sting operation going there though. I'm trying to follow the Craig case (hard to make time for it) You know the MN Supreme Court once ruled 2 men have an expectation of privacy in a department store restroom once? The ACLU may well get Senator Wide Stance off the hook yet.

OEC

I haven't follwed the Craig case for a while myself. Before this, I didn't even know such things went on at airports, well I mean, I knew people had sex in public places, but I didn't realize there were known signals and such for gay men in the bathrooms, probably cause I'm not a gay male. But if the Minnesota Supreme Court ruled that its a privacy issue, than I'm sure he'll use that angle to get off. Doesn't necassarily mean he will get off the hook, because he did plea guilty in the begining.

I haven't follwed the Craig case for a while myself. Before this, I didn't even know such things went on at airports, well I mean, I knew people had sex in public places, but I didn't realize there were known signals and such for gay men in the bathrooms, probably cause I'm not a gay male. But if the Minnesota Supreme Court ruled that its a privacy issue, than I'm sure he'll use that angle to get off. Doesn't necassarily mean he will get off the hook, because he did plea guilty in the begining.
    True. That is a separate matter (he has thus far failed to retract the guilty pleas, MN is quite strict on this score). I don't know if the specific law he was charged with would be ruled unconstitutional even with that precedent. It may well force changes to the law and eliminate nonsensical sting operations at the airport though. He may still get off though (I just hope he's learned to be more discreet about where )

Yea, or he could just be honest with himself and come out of the damn closet! I'm sure he'll get plenty of offers for sex/companionship if he does, then he wouldn't have to sneak around. But since hes married, and republican, that'll be a long-shot.

Yea, or he could just be honest with himself and come out of the damn closet! I'm sure he'll get plenty of offers for sex/companionship if he does, then he wouldn't have to sneak around. But since hes married, and republican, that'll be a long-shot.
    Well .... I tend to just look at it terms of law. I don't like Craig much, but it's his own pain and cognitive dissonance that he's going to suffer. I feel sorry for the guy. I think the public would embrace his honesty and contrition were he to do that. I certainly would.

+ Reply to Thread