+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Miley Cyrus....could someone tell me...

Default Miley Cyrus....could someone tell me...

What the big deal is with her?!!!!!!

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Re: Miley Cyrus....could someone tell me...

She is the love child of an Achy Breaky Heart.

Is that enough to propel her into a billion dollar commodity?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

she is on a show called Hannah Montana on Disney about a girl whose secret alter ego is a famous singer, that has spawned every possible merchandising tie in you can think of.

Ah, the power of jailbait and tween factor.

I hate to admit this, but my daughter is all about her... She's got lip gloss, earrings, rings, purses. headbands, necklaces GALORE, tons of shirts, night gowns shorts, Hannah cell phone and actually went as her for Halloween. Her room looks like she's got Hannah Montana wall paper. (and tons more stuff I've forgot to name)
    She loves her style and certain things about her, but she knows that she's just a person and that Disney *makes* her into what she is, and that she prolly has no decision in what is put out there with her name on it. etc...etc...

She's actually one of the most grounded and non influential fans.
    But she still collects everything HANNAH...

She knows that in a few yrs, she will most likely burn out because the market has been flooded with her and she will be like the next vanilla ice.

It just baffles me, I dont get the appeal

who knows? I'm not a ten year old girl. I think you might be asking the wrong people here.

Thats a good point, I'm just desperate for answers....

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I think it's kind of amusing that Disney complained about the Annie Leibovitz shoot of her done for Vanity Fair, indicating that "a situation was created to deliberately manipulate a 15-year-old in order to sell magazines" implying that semi-nudes were taken outside of parental and corporate supervision, so Vanity Fair released the out takes and behind the scenes shots to blow that argument out of the water.

Yeah, I read that the entire family was there during the shoot (the mom and dad i mean)

I think the media deifies her.... making her a poster child and above "moral corruption"

SHES HUMAN.

I watched this show a few weeks back where they were saying how do they discipline Miley, She has her own wing of the house...
    (something to the effect) that she's made more money than Billy Ray in his entire career, Does she say to them ..."As long as you live under MY roof..."

I don't think that those are inappropriate. they are well shot photos, and the sense that i got was that we are seeing someone "candid" in a moment of vulnerability. Of course, I'm just basing those purely on the artistic composition of the shots, and not on the personal details of cyrus.

I actually really like that this is generating controversy. I really didn't feel that those pictures were sexual at all, and so it points the finger at how sex obsessed our society is that people would jump to that conclusion. it takes a fifteen year old, someone that we are not "supposed to" be sex obsessing about to realize that fact, otherwise it would go wholly unexamined, IMO.

now that I think about it, I'm sure that it still will be. all uncomfortable impressions shall be swept under the rug. but hey, at least the possibility is invited.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I think it's kind of amusing that Disney complained about the Annie Leibovitz shoot of her done for Vanity Fair, indicating that "a situation was created to deliberately manipulate a 15-year-old in order to sell magazines" implying that semi-nudes were taken outside of parental and corporate supervision, so Vanity Fair released the out takes and behind the scenes shots to blow that argument out of the water.
    Oh the savage fucking irony. DISNEY complaining about the exploitation of children.

What's next, KFC getting on their high horse about the exploitation of animals?

Creepshow's Avatar i'll skin you alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    Oh the savage fucking irony. DISNEY complaining about the exploitation of children.

What's next, KFC getting on their high horse about the exploitation of animals?

heh heh.
    that would be something.

OK- I know what you're going through! My gf's daughter is 11, and is a HM Fan. I think the appeal (to kids anyway) is that the show is about a KID that is pulling one over on everyone (including ADULTS), and that is in some ways empowering to kids. Who said Disney was not good at marketing? I try to look at the bright side, It will all be over soon (and she'll be into something else). I just hope that Billy Ray is giving Miley good Investing Advise, so she will not regret the day that she is no longer marketable. -e

Tinman's Avatar Senior Member

My daughters 11 too, but i saw all this comin coz i grew up with 2 sisters who went through the barbie/sindy phase, various boybands, and usual kids phases.
    So i spent along, i mean long lol, time showing her the value of money so she wasnt wasteful with it mostly, but also when these big fads come along she weighs up the shall i buy a billion tons of Hannah Montana junk im gonna grow out of n bin, or do i spend it on more long term stuff, most part its been more long term, but shes a kid course shes gonna blow some on crazy string and whoppee cushions from time to time, didnt we all buy worthless shit high on fun low lastability, its the beauty of bein a kid, that and sayin out loud in public things others a re thinging, like mum whys that womens hair look like a nest, lol classic

+ Reply to Thread