+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CMS/Blog Interfaces + Mac?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default CMS/Blog Interfaces + Mac?

So: I recently bought a macbook pro. I am completely in love with it. I have noticed, however, that I lose functionality when using certain content management systems and blog interfaces. This has made doing a conceptually just for fun site a bit of a chore. I do notice the firefox browser improves it somewhat.

Anyone have these issues? Any webmasters have a preference for cms on a mac? The more widgets I can add over the longhaul the better. Right now, I just want decent blog functioning and maybe a php board.

Thanks

OEC

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

Default Re: CMS/Blog Interfaces + Mac?

That's interesting. Are you basically reporting behaviours of the default mac browser Safari? It's an even bet that it's actually working how it's supposed to whereas the web app CMS (Content Management System) has been laxly coded so as to take advantage of non-standards compliant browsers like MS Internet Explorer. The whole cross-browser standards compliance shemozzle is lame, annoying and hurtful for web developers but that's life.

What sort of functionality goes missing OEC? Like FireFox, perhaps other mac browsers, such as Camino, do a better job. Or perhaps Safari settings on your own PC (macs were PC's first weren't they?) can be tweaked although you can't expect people to do that generally. Firefox is much more standards compliant than IE. Why does it matter? Well it makes it all easier, more consistent and less unpredictable for developing content that looks and works as expected which is fair enough.

Mambo is one CMS on a php platform that seems popular.

I'm sorry that I can't advise on CMS from a mac perspective very much. Not really from a php perspective either. I'll look into it in a while. It has unfortunately been a long time since I was in the graphics department and used to play on macs much. I'm a fan of 'Community Server' as a forum/blog app although that means crossing to the 'dark side' (yeah like Apple corp is our great ethical friend) of Microsoft and dot NET.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by helcyon
    That's interesting. Are you basically reporting behaviours of the default mac browser Safari? It's an even bet that it's actually working how it's supposed to whereas the web app CMS (Content Management System) has been laxly coded so as to take advantage of non-standards compliant browsers like MS Internet Explorer. The whole cross-browser standards compliance shemozzle is lame, annoying and hurtful for web developers but that's life.

What sort of functionality goes missing OEC? Like FireFox, perhaps other mac browsers, such as Camino, do a better job. Or perhaps Safari settings on your own PC (macs were PC's first weren't they?) can be tweaked although you can't expect people to do that generally. Firefox is much more standards compliant than IE. Why does it matter? Well it makes it all easier, more consistent and less unpredictable for developing content that looks and works as expected which is fair enough.

Mambo is one CMS on a php platform that seems popular.

I'm sorry that I can't advise on CMS from a mac perspective very much. Not really from a php perspective either. I'll look into it in a while. It has unfortunately been a long time since I was in the graphics department and used to play on macs much. I'm a fan of 'Community Server' as a forum/blog app although that means crossing to the 'dark side' (yeah like Apple corp is our great ethical friend) of Microsoft and dot NET.
    It has to be safari to some extent. I even had to change browsers to use a site to submit an application. Usually, any rtf and/or text editing will be affected. I think I may have it worked out on my usual program though. We'll see.

OEC

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Although I'm personally bi when it comes to computers, Blue Blood HQ is all PC, so I'm a little rusty on MAC software. I had a programmer who was on that stuff, but he's been really uber-booked for ages now, much to my chagrin. I've heard good things about Mambo which helcyon mentioned.

+ Reply to Thread