+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you bring Toy Transformer Robots on a plane?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Do you bring Toy Transformer Robots on a plane?

So, as I'm getting ready to fly, I was just checking the TSA web site for current idiotic rules for carry on luggage. They have a long checklist of items with a place where they tick off whether they are allowed in carryon and whether they are allowed in checked luggage. Bizarrely, Toy Transformer Robots are okay for both carry on and checked bags. How the heck did that get its own itemization?

Default Re: Do you bring Toy Transformer Robots on a plane?

And toy weapons are ok too....even if someone decides to spraypaint it..seeing as spraypaint under 3 oz's is allowed.
    So strange.

That is bizarre.

I collect action figures(the classic 12 inch sort, but also some eight inchers and 3 inchers too), and that might strike some as bizarre enough.

So, maybe am not exactly one to talk about what's bizarre or no.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Rilea
    That is bizarre.

I collect action figures(the classic 12 inch sort, but also some eight inchers and 3 inchers too), and that might strike some as bizarre enough.

So, maybe am not exactly one to talk about what's bizarre or no.
    I collect toys too..so its all good

I wonder if i can take my 18" Pinhead onboard...

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

how about robbie the robot as carry on luggage... or does he need his own seat?

he is pictured here telling homosexual Pan-Am cabin crew to shut their pie-holes while he indicates the size of his 1950's era cell phone which he wants to bring on board

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    I collect toys too..so its all good

I wonder if i can take my 18" Pinhead onboard...

Might want to check with Transportation Safety Administration about that one.

With the paranoid mentality afoot in the US these days, it just might be a good idea.

One never knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Rilea
    Might want to check with Transportation Safety Administration about that one.

With the paranoid mentality afoot in the US these days, it just might be a good idea.

One never knows.
    After researching...I find it ironic that Hellraiser was released in theatres Sept 11th, 1987.

Edit: Weirder..Hellraiser 3 was released Sept 11th, 1992 as well

pinhead fan eh? like guitars too? check out the man himself (Doug Bradley) with a custom GMW Hellraiser guitar. The cenobite shredder. Love the meat-hook inlays. Yes!

Tonight..we shred in hell...

Gah..i feel bad now. Were getting off topic and highjacking AG's thread.
    Now Back to our regular scheduled security..

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Thank the Gods we can still take cans of aerosol cheese in hand luggage!

How can anyone survive a flight without... yeah...

(and Amelia - the answer in the guidance notes is that Transformers can be assembled into things that look like guns, so needed clarification)

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    Tonight..we shred in hell...

Gah..i feel bad now. Were getting off topic and highjacking AG's thread.
    Now Back to our regular scheduled security..
    hehe... it's probably ok... not a lot of action in this one yet but let me try to bring it back on topic...

I'd say transformers got their own itemisation purely as a marketing strategy paid for by the Hasbro corporation i.e.
    "The remarkable Transformer action figures are most welcome on our aircraft. You will regain the respect of your offspring if you buy many of these for them. Did you notice they are now available in our departure lounge..."

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    Thank the Gods we can still take cans of aerosol cheese in hand luggage!

How can anyone survive a flight without... yeah...

(and Amelia - the answer in the guidance notes is that Transformers can be assembled into things that look like guns, so needed clarification)
    my first thought on reading the title of this thread was on the fun one might have with one of the old megatron toys, back when he used to be a gun

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Quote Originally Posted by helcyon
    I'd say transformers got their own itemisation purely as a marketing strategy paid for by the Hasbro corporation
    it's also because they aren't from Mattel, and so won't kill everyone.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    So, as I'm getting ready to fly, I was just checking the TSA web site for current idiotic rules for carry on luggage. They have a long checklist of items with a place where they tick off whether they are allowed in carryon and whether they are allowed in checked luggage. Bizarrely, Toy Transformer Robots are okay for both carry on and checked bags. How the heck did that get its own itemization?
    Airports don't even seem to be consistent. In MPLS, you can't carry on toothpaste or shampoo. I'm not sure where the cut-off is. I guess the more solid the cosmetic, the better chance you have.

Jackie T

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Rob wants to take a remote controlled Dalek (dr who bad guy for the uninitiated)
    on the boat with us. I wonder what the rules for taking it on a plane would be.

airports are screwy lately. I actually flew to the family reunion in july and on the way out OIA made me take off my FLIP FLOPS going through security. Red with white polka dots that matched my dress and my head band, but they had a 1.5 inch wedge on them and who knows, i might have cut a notch in them and i was smuggling something. On the way back going out of the worlds smallest airport, Akron/Canton in OH (all seven gates) they went through my deodorant and tooth paste and chap stick. This is insanity at its finest ppl. I could see looking at a gun shaped anything twice, be it toy or hair dryer but flip flops? deodorant? *sigh*

~~K

Betty Coltraine's Avatar Junior Member
    Bribie Island, Australia. Bankstown, Australia. Look them up. It's a bizarre combination!

Gah! The new security rules are absurd and completely inconsistent. In London, they've got you taking off your shoes and having to hold your pants up while you walk through the metal detector because your belt has to be scanned separately. I wore a chunky bracelet which set off the metal detector (foolishly forgot to take that one off) and was treated to what was almost a cavity search. In Prague, I can't even remember going through metal detectors until just before we got on the plane and they didn't give a crap about putting liquids into bags.

Because of that whole liquid thing and the inconsistencies at the different airports, I just pack everything in my checked-in suitcase. I used to take my make-ups and creams and things onboard with me because I didn't want someone to squash my suitcase or something so that I'd have lovely cream-filled clothes when I got to my destination. I also didn't want to be stuck without, say, toothpaste if my bag went AWOL. Because of fear of luggage loss, I never put my jewellery in there either, but now I have a necklace/brooch with a DANGEROUS safety pin on the back of it which I can't take on board. So I check it. People told me I was paranoid for worrying about my stuff getting lost, but that's exactly what happened when we came back from Rome. So I had no toothpaste or make-up remover and I was worried about my necklace being gone forever. We got everything back, but the point of my (incredibly long) rant is this: MY paranoia has justified now. I'm not sure I can say the same for the airports.

Keiko: love the Dalek!!!!

Betty Coltrane: sorry about all that time and trouble you've had to go through.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

with all this talk about what is and isnt okay when flying, i have to ask: what about body piercings? will they set off the metal detecters or will i have to take them out? i have about 30 of them so it does take some time to remove them all. ive not flown since 9/11 or since getting many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by aXa
    with all this talk about what is and isnt okay when flying, i have to ask: what about body piercings? will they set off the metal detecters or will i have to take them out? i have about 30 of them so it does take some time to remove them all. ive not flown since 9/11 or since getting many of them.
    "The problem with setting metal detectors to be over-sensitive is that it causes too many false alarms. Security areas at large public events would be completely congested with people setting off the alarms with keys, jewelry, pens, etc. It would make the job of actually finding dangerous objects nearly impossible. Therefore, metal detector sensitivity is usually not set that high."

Rest of the factual stuff: Metal Detectors and Me

well there's not a great deal of extra fuss being made in Aus really. Not too much extra mucking around usually. The main concern seems to be worrying about the extra hassle to be anticipated if you happen to be passing through London or the U.S, I tend to get the most grief when travelling back to NZ. I seem to get made for some kind of local grub upon arrival in Auckland (I am from there originally) and for some reason they always think I'm stealing baggage or smuggling e's. I can't bring myself to dress conservativelly or less funky which would probably help but make me less pleased overall so I just wear it.

Betty Coltraine's Avatar Junior Member
    Bribie Island, Australia. Bankstown, Australia. Look them up. It's a bizarre combination!

Quote Originally Posted by helcyon
    well there's not a great deal of extra fuss being made in Aus really. Not too much extra mucking around usually. The main concern seems to be worrying about the extra hassle to be anticipated if you happen to be passing through London or the U.S, I tend to get the most grief when travelling back to NZ. I seem to get made for some kind of local grub upon arrival in Auckland (I am from there originally) and for some reason they always think I'm stealing baggage or smuggling e's. I can't bring myself to dress conservativelly or less funky which would probably help but make me less pleased overall so I just wear it.
    I'd agree that Australia is definitely more relaxed than a lot of other places. I did get randomly picked for a weird chemical test thing one time. I made eye contact with the woman doing it because I was wondering why she was wiping the passengers down with a lint brush and she waved me over. I asked her what she was looking for and she told me residue from any chemicals that might have been used to make explosives. Apparently this could include fertilisers and some paints. Then I asked her what she'd do if she found any on me. She said she'd do the test again and if I was positive a second time, I would be taken aside by security for a more 'in depth' search. Ouch! But I survived to tell the tale, obviously, and the chick was very happy to educate me on the process.

I also once tried to go into Sydney Airport with THREE pairs of scissors in my carry-on luggage . I was moving house and had just chucked my last remaining dribs and drabs into my bag without thinking, including a couple of make-up cases. So no-one was more surprised than me when they stopped the conveyer belt and demanded to search my bag because of what looked like four pairs of scissors (one was a pair of tweezers), one of which was kind of massive ... Whoops. I gave them up and kind of scurried away with embarrassment. A super efficient terrorist, I do not make.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I don't know whether I am more amused and perturbed that the official TSA web site mentioned Toy Transformer Robots or that this turned out to be such a popular thread.

Perhaps both are equally disturbing(cue Rod Serling coming out from behind a tree, as the opening chords of the Twilight Zone theme start up)????

LOL

+ Reply to Thread