+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hair Dying Question

Phoenix Blue's Avatar Senior Member

Default Hair Dying Question

Okies, so my son wants to dye his hair black and tip it green and I agreed to do it for him. Now, I've dyed hair, bleached hair, and frosted hair (I cut his and some of his friends) but I am NOT a professional cosmetologist. Anyone done this before or can point me in the right direction?

His hair is dark blonde. I would guess it best to dye the hair black first EXCEPT for the tips he wants green. What do I use to keep the black dye off the ends that will be green?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Hair Dying Question

Put vaseline or petroleum jelly on the ends of the hair you want to be green. Carefully die the hair black, using a brush and be CAREFUL. If you get some black near the end part, you can always retouch it and bleach it later.

Let the black die sit, rinse, and shampoo. You have to shampoo many times to get rid of the vaseline.

I would wait a day and shampoo it out again. then BLEACH the tips, any hair bleach will do it, I use 7th Stage or Wella myself because it is more blue. Since his hair is dark blonde, just use the normal volume peroxide, what is it, 20% or if you want to be really gentle use 10% volume peroxide and leave it on for about 20 minutes. Shampoo and rinse...

I wait wait another day and THEN put the green on the tips...

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Just dye the whole thing black, wash it for a couple of days,
    then go back and bleach the tips, and color them...

It will be a lot easier to get a consistent color that way.

Excellent color choice, by the way...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    Excellent color choice, by the way...

Great hair dude!! Now how do I die my Porsche black and green?

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

..and of course doing a sensitivity test beforehand is essential, specially in someone who's never been dyed before. Everyone knows it, everyone reads the leaflet but apparently only 30% of people bother to do it. I've seen cases of third degree burns due to being in the other 70%, and doing that to a relative would SO get you off his favorites list.

mG

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

I have dyed my hair so many times that i don't know what my normal color is.. I am not willing ot give any advice, bcuase my hair-dresser told me never to do home-dye jobs again... It wasn't my fault.. I swear.. no one told me that TOO much Peroxide was bad... *hangs Head*

Although having clear hair was bas ass... BC

I am a professional cosmetologist, and everyone on here has pointed you in the right direction. Color black, bleach ends, color ends green. You may experience some fading in both the black and green even with permanent color since your son is naturally blonde (his hair has less natural pigment forthe dye to react with), so don't be alarmed. It should hold fine after a few imes. I think it is very cool of you to let your son have the hair he wants. I used of get a lot of shitty parents in the salon. Good luck!

Thanks so much for all the good advice everyone! I dyed his hair black once before, do I still need to do the sensitivity test if we use the same brand? I guess I've just always felt that it's his hair he can wear it however he pleases vinylkitty - personally, I think it will look killer wicked I've seriously been considering doing mine blue-black again streaked with electric blue.

Nice pic DeathKnight - love the hair AND the car

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

i dunno what the official answer is to that, but i always use the same kind of dye to do mine black and bleach and color streaks, so i don't bother with sensitivity tests anymore and i've never had a problem

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

how long is his hair...I know some neat long hair tricks for tipping...but none for short hair

His hair is fairly short Pull-My-Hair. He's prefered to wear it short for about the last 6 years. He's decided to grow the front and sides out but is still keeping the back short (he doesn't like his hair on his neck). But mine is long... whatchya got?

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

ref sensitivity - it's product-specific, so if he's used a color from a particular brand before then it should be OK, but if you switch manufacturers you should do another test - some use different percentages of fixatives and ammonia. Rarely people become sensitive after using dye once and then having a long break, just like becoming allergic to bee stings, so if he hasn't dyed in the last 12 months and wasn't a regular user, again it's worth testing. It's no hassle to do but makes sure you're both confident it's safe.

mG

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Blue
    His hair is fairly short Pull-My-Hair. He's prefered to wear it short for about the last 6 years. He's decided to grow the front and sides out but is still keeping the back short (he doesn't like his hair on his neck). But mine is long... whatchya got?
    Rubber bands do wonderful things. It's really the most basic concept, but Ive come up with great results. wherever the rubber band is wont get colored, so to do the ends, tie back the very ends of your hair with a couple rubber bands all the way down so the ends are covered completely, it gives a really nice clean line. I've had stripes of purple through black hair by tying my hair in a ponytail and then doing rubber bands evenly spaced down to the end of the ponytail. Anyhow, I hope all that made sense...(:

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Blue
    He's decided to grow the front and sides out but is still keeping the back short
    Like a reverse mullet?

sunkarma's Avatar Evil666..reborn

If you double process the hair like that, it will split and break...do what Mistress Jennifer said...sure it takes a few days...but it will keep your hair from damage!

(this coming from a newly bleached blonde who did it the WRONG way...trust me)

-
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkarma
    If you double process the hair like that, it will split and break...do what Mistress Jennifer said...sure it takes a few days...but it will keep your hair from damage!

(this coming from a newly bleached blonde who did it the WRONG way...trust me)
    this actually avoids double processing....he would rubberband it then dye it black, then do the undyed tips (that were covered by the bands) green....

sunkarma's Avatar Evil666..reborn

I know...but the safest way is to do it the way Jennifer said...
    coating the hair prevents the color from getting to the ends, which are more porous.
    Just condition the heck out of your hair afterwards! Black is the harshest color..the biggest color molecule! It penetrates very easily..but is very hard to lift...

S

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    ..and of course doing a sensitivity test beforehand is essential, specially in someone who's never been dyed before. Everyone knows it, everyone reads the leaflet but apparently only 30% of people bother to do it. I've seen cases of third degree burns due to being in the other 70%, and doing that to a relative would SO get you off his favorites list.

mG

as well of testing as MG suggests, I would not go for the cheap coloring either, usually, even with a test, some can still burn the scalp and neck afterwards. Ill never use Nice~N~Easy , as this did burn My scalp even after doing a test ttime of two days and then it started to burn me after I did the coloring, L'Oreal Feria has been the best Ive used, and is My top pick for black coloring

Eva:Gina's Avatar Senior Member

a bit thing is... DONT stimulate your scalp before hand!!!
    dont brush your hair, shampoo, anything
    thats why patch tests arent that accurate alot of the time

So many knowlegable and helful people I do appreciate ALL the input. I think we'll go with Mistress Jennifer's method. His hair, having been worn short is in excellent condition, virgin as far as any processing (he's like me and doesn't even use a hair dryer - we just let it dry naturally). So to keep the ends in good shape I'd prefer not to have to lift the black from them. I know when I bleached my hair (which being ashe brown naturally has a LOT of red) I had to bleach it twice to lift all the color - I wanted platinum blonde.

And yes ToeCutter, I guess you could say it's kinda like a reverse mullet, lol.

Yes go with Mistress Jennifer's method!!! It will be the healthiest thing for his hair, and also, if you try to bleach black hair dye it sometimes turns really ugly orange or weird colors.

Oh, and yes, I had a friend who over processed his hair and it BROKE OFF AND FELL OUT so be careful.

Also, be sure to put cream or vaseline around the hairline and ears and neck. so that the black dye does not color the skin.

Show us some pics when you are done!!

Well, he's changed the plan slightly. He's decided instead of tipping he wants strands of green through the black. I'm still going to use Mistress Jennifer's concept. (The advantage here is since he wants to keep the back short he won't lose all the green after just a couple of trims).

I'm going to use a frosting cap to select the strands we want green and bleach those, then apply the green dye first. Leaving the cap on I'll coat all the newly dyed green strands with vaseline. I'll dye the rest of the hair black in small sections with an applicator brush as I careful remove the frosting cap a little at a time. (I might even put foils around the vaselined green strands as I take the cap off to protect them even more). After the proper time for the black dye we'll rinse till clear then shampoo until all the vaseline is gone.

I've got everything except the green dye which I had to order on-line from Manic Panic. We went to a local beauty supply and they had blue, purple, red, pink - everything except green. I'll definitely do pics if I can get my stupid digital to work (I might have to borrow his bass players). Hopefully the Electric Lizard (glows under blacklight too!) green dye will arrive by the weekend and we can get it done then.

Wow it glows in the dark!! How cool!!!! Yes everybody likes green!!! Even I used to have green streaks!!! That's how I ended up platinum blonde, I was trying to get rid of the green!!!

Anyway, that sounds like a sensible plan!

Manic Panic "Apple Green" lasts longer...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    Manic Panic "Apple Green" lasts longer...
    Damn, already ordered it. He was partial to Electric Lizard because it glows under blacklight, lol.

I mix the two together.

Apple green is almost a little too dark. But because of that, it lasts longer.
    It starts out pretty dark, and saturated, and slowly fades to a nice green.

But Electric Lizard is a lighter green, so your hair really needs to be bleached
    for it to show up. And it won't last as long. I would leave it in for a full 20 minutes
    or so, to make sure it gets soaked in nicely. Otherwise you will be having to redo
    it in a couple weeks.

I also think "Iguana Green" from Hot Topic looks good.
    But it does not last nearly as long as the Apple Green.
    But it's a little less forest green, and more yellow-green.

Be careful when bleaching...i bleached my dyed black hair twice in a row once & loads of it snapped off! (ended up shaving it off again anyway) Also if you put conditioner on the hair right before the colour I dont think it takes as well. I always try to leave a day or 2 between bleaching & colouring

gothic rose's Avatar Senior Member

WOW you all know so much about this! Dose anyone know a way to prolong the blue in my hair? I was thinking that i could use one of those conditionar/koolaid mixes like once a week, dose that even work?

+ Reply to Thread