+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DC Gun Ban Overturned

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default DC Gun Ban Overturned

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

Scalia wrote the opinion. It's pretty straightforward. I don't want to get too into what regulations may still be constitutional, but I know some folks here will find this quite an interesting case.

OEC

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: DC Gun Ban Overturned

good.

"bans" are unconstitutional... there's a thing called regulation for a reason.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

cool, let's shoot some shit.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

OEC
    I have been keeping close tabs on this, thank you for showing this for all.
    DC should have some of toughest gun regulation in the nation, again it is DC the Capital.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus88
    OEC
    I have been keeping close tabs on this, thank you for showing this for all.
    DC should have some of toughest gun regulation in the nation, again it is DC the Capital.
    Regulation, definitely. Just no bans. I think this is a good outcome. They leave plenty of room for reasonable regulations. The gun issue should be off the table politically.

OEC

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah, Scalia is swinging in favor of personal liberty? I wonder who paid him.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

Just because of the ruling....

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    yeah, Scalia is swinging in favor of personal liberty? I wonder who paid him.
    On the 2nd Amendment, this was a predictable outcome. It's a shame he's so conservative on a personal level.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    On the 2nd Amendment, this was a predictable outcome. It's a shame he's so conservative on a personal level.

It always seems weird to me that certain issues get labeled conservative or liberal and then it seems like points of view are assigned via drawing slips of paper out of hat. The map there makes little sense to me. Or at least I tend to disagree.

I'm pretty thrilled with the outcome of the DC gun ban case. I (predictably) was unable to wholly win a dinner table debate with my father about it, but I'm pleased that the actual case went the way it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    It always seems weird to me that certain issues get labeled conservative or liberal and then it seems like points of view are assigned via drawing slips of paper out of hat. The map there makes little sense to me. Or at least I tend to disagree.

I'm pretty thrilled with the outcome of the DC gun ban case. I (predictably) was unable to wholly win a dinner table debate with my father about it, but I'm pleased that the actual case went the way it did.
    I'm thinking more of issues where it seems Scalia's conservatism trumps his announced judicial methodology (Check out the Raich case). I don't fall into those categories either. Am very happy with the verdict and how Scalia chose to word it.

OEC

PS: In the interest of full disclosure, I would not want a 5th Justice of Scalia's methodology (even when he is consistent) on SCOTUS.
    Last edited by One Eyed Cat; 06-27-2008 at 02:24 PM. Reason: qualify opinion on scalia

+ Reply to Thread