+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how do you feel about downloadable content?

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default how do you feel about downloadable content?

theres been a bit of talk about downloadable content now since all the major videogame companies all have a online feature to their respective consoles.

players can buy new weapons, abilities, costumes and even levels and storylines for videogames they purchase as well as backgrounds for their personal computers too like with street fighter4.

i think ultimately the videogame and entertainment-including comicbook and movie industry-are going to probably merge over with the internet as it grows but in the meantime do you feel the growing pains are causing a decrease in sales from retail chains that rely on gamers to keep a roof over their heads ?

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Default Re: how do you feel about downloadable content?

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    theres been a bit of talk about downloadable content now since all the major videogame companies all have a online feature to their respective consoles.

players can buy new weapons, abilities, costumes and even levels and storylines for videogames they purchase as well as backgrounds for their personal computers too like with street fighter4.

i think ultimately the videogame and entertainment-including comicbook and movie industry-are going to probably merge over with the internet as it grows but in the meantime do you feel the growing pains are causing a decrease in sales from retail chains that rely on gamers to keep a roof over their heads ?
    No....I think the suck ass economy is creating the decrease. Parents don't have money= Kids don't have money.

I think if anything, the downloadable content would essentially increase sales in the end....Especially if it isn't free to do so.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

I think it makes programmers lazy and gives them an excuse to pump out crap that can later be fixed with downloaded patches.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I was going to get back into playing Wow a few days ago, but when I booted up my account, it wanted to download like a gig and a half of updates. I really didn't feel like waiting and the machine I had that on kind of needed the space for other things. So, I didn't get to play.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

that sux. i think im probably one of the few people in the world who has never played nor have any intentions of playing wow. lol

i have a friend from the other forum i go to who is a wow junkie. she's on it like all the time literally. if they made a horror version of it i'd be more inclined to play and yeah, i know about the undead class lol i mean like a more modern time horror version.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

it only makes sense and I'm surprised that it has taken them this long to come up with it. there's really no purpose or benefit to having your media on separate storage containers, when you can transfer the information of the content onto a central storage container. aka. use the internet to download shit on your computer or DVD player or video game console.

the stores still have the same need and demand to sell the hardware, it just reduces the amount of junk by isolating the electronic software media. and it's more convenient because you can sit on your ass at home and get it.

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    that sux. i think im probably one of the few people in the world who has never played nor have any intentions of playing wow. lol

i have a friend from the other forum i go to who is a wow junkie. she's on it like all the time literally. if they made a horror version of it i'd be more inclined to play and yeah, i know about the undead class lol i mean like a more modern time horror version.
    Literally played for 20 minutes and wanted to bash my keyboard over some 12 year old kid's head.

I'll stick to City of Heroes/Villains thank you...

But back on topic: I love DLC. Patches aren't considered such as they are free, and have been around since the beginning of gaming on the pc online. Instead, it's more like buying an expansion to Neverwinter Nights or any other various game out there that's a billion discs long.
    It's great because of the simplicity in paying for it online and getting it then and there. Also, you know you won't run into compatability problems with the consoles as any DLC made for them will run on them always.

The problem I have with WoW (and this deviates a bit from the topic) is that it's pretty much the same thing for 70+ levels. Get quest, run a good bit, kill things, rinse, repeat.

+ Reply to Thread