+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moving out

gothic rose's Avatar Senior Member

Default Moving out

I'm moving out this summer for the first time to an apartment, I don't relly know what the first coupel of months will be like, anyone wanna share their experiences about moving out on their own for the first time. (Let me know what to expect)

Default Re: Moving out

pay your bills, dont move in with someone you "love"...like 15 year old boys...dont buy cookware from biglots..it rusts

expect to have less money in your pocket. and a whole lot of freeloading friends coming over.

Baron_Fluffykins's Avatar Member

Well my parents through me out after a rather, um, "boisterous" discussion when I was 16. I crashed on a few couchs but eventually (it was something like 5 or 6 months) I got an apartment in a rathole building a few blocks from the river in my hometown.

I personally love living on my own.

Angel Slayer's Avatar guardian garroter

don't get a credit card. start keeping your appartment clean right away.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

All I can say is it's the fucking greatest, either it's a stepping stone or a (hah) lilly pad

Phoenix Blue's Avatar Senior Member

A couple things off the top of my head GR -

1) If you don't already know how to cook - learn. Eating at home is far healthier and cheaper than living off Micky D's.

2) Make a budget and stick to it. Budget for EVERYTHING including food, little splurges and 2 kinds of savings (1 long term that you should never touch and 1 short term for things you really want but aren't necessities). Yeah you may have $37 extra this paycheck that you could go out an blow... but next week the battery might go in your car or you might get sick and need to buy medicine.

3) Remember: In the end, the only person you can count on is yourself. Yes, family and friends will help to the extent they are able or willing. But going out on your own you should become as self-sufficient and independent as possible.

Here's a little site, even though it's Australian, that has some good general info and points about getting a place on your own and managing your finances... (look under the menu item "Health Topics")... Young Adult Health

P I L O T's Avatar Senior Member

see thats why i'm trying to stay home for as long as possible,..

I work at mcdanalds so i wont eat it LOL but i have been told that Ramen noodels and Dominos $5 piazzs will be my friends. I expect to pay about $750 for my first month i started saving alredy for any unexpected expenses. I'm moving in with a guy friend that might be gay but we work at the same place so it will save gas, i hope.

750$ a month in South Carolina? What did you rent a 2 bedroom house with a 1/2 acre yard?

my rents $1295 for a 4 bedroom 3 bath 2 story house with a huge backyard i dont use

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

it doesnt really feel like home for a while....its kinda weird, try to pack as many experiences into it ASAP...itll make it feel more like home...

You got screwed luv. I live in a Major Metropolitan area, have a 1200 SQ foot 2 floor, 2 bedroom Townhouse, all utilities included Townhouse with a Pool (for the entire facility) and only pay 750$ a month.

In BFE SC you'd think it would be cheaper.

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gothic rose
    I'm moving out this summer for the first time to an apartment, I don't relly know what the first coupel of months will be like, anyone wanna share their experiences about moving out on their own for the first time. (Let me know what to expect)

Find a nice place, just get a feeling of the place. If you walk in, and you get a good feeling, that's the right place. If you don't like the place, don't take it.. Sounds simple, but it's a big deal.

It can be the best experience of your life! If you really find a place you love, it can be like the very beginning of your life. It was for me. I love my place so much...

Just shop around and try to find a great place, and everything else will be fine.

My sage advice would be:

1. As tempting as it is do not house runaways, hot jailbait, or homeless people. It's more trouble than its worth.

2. Don't fuck up your credit.

3. dont buy cookware from biglots..it rusts....unless it's T-Fal, occasionally they will get a nice set of T-Fal

4. Be sure you lock your doors (sounds stoopid, but you'd be surprised how many people I know who don't). For home defense I recommend a wooden ball bat, a hunting knife, and rat traps (especially if you live in a bad neighborhood). Also, keep a can of hornet and wasp spray near your door and in you car. It contains a compound similar to ether and sprays a stream like 15 feet. It's way better than pepper spray or mace. You hit an intruder or attacker in the face with a stream of that shit and they'll go down like a sack of potatoes! Don't hesitate if someone comes at you or breaks in, and make LOTS of racket to alert the neighbors! Be sure to have it handy when door to door sales people come around. Be careful with the hornet killer indoors as it fumes out like a bitch.

5. Keep a list of all emergency number, a cab service, and take out and pizza places on the fridge.

6. If you don't own a kitchen table, don't bother buying one. You'll never use it!!!!

7. Enjoy living by yourself! It's great! You can walk around naked, pee with the bathroom door open, and drink straight from the carton!!!!

8. Ramen and pasta are a great staple food if you are relatively broke. Try adding ham, olives, and bottled alfredo sauce or ranch dressing and steamed broccoli. Get creative.

9. Be sure to check out the water heater before you rent a place. If it is dinky, you're gonna run out of hot water fast! Also, anywhere with gas heat or appliances is going ot be very expensive, so be sure to ask when you check a place out.

Best of luck!!!!

Also, never rub another man's rhubarb.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Try to get atleast a month ahead on rent... You never know when trouble will happen

Quote Originally Posted by Bondage Clown
    Try to get atleast a month ahead on rent... You never know when trouble will happen
    Good advice.

My first out of home experience was horrible. I lived in a house which was held together only by the wallpaper. Anyway... my main advice is don't live with too many people. There were 5 in my first house and 4 in my current one. I've got some new people who moved in this week. Luckily they all seem fairly placid and happy to help around the house.

Set out a few ground rules, and stick to them. Make sure everyone contributes eaqually to the bills and costs - I've found money is the main cause of conflicts in any household.

All this aside, I've loved having my independance and I'm sure you'll have a great time! Good luck!

Remember: Hippies never flush (conservationists), Don't have Good Snacks (Bloody Vegans) and can't pay rent on time....

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Live alone = live longer and happier

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbink
    Live alone = live longer and happier

That should be amended to: Live Alone but do not Sleep alone = ...

Well I'm living with a friend It's only $750 for the first months for rent and all my bills (including set up fees) the apartment it's self is about $350 a month, I'm A hippey and i don't like meat *glares at Baron_Fluffykins, then hugs* I also am not going to have any parties or anything like that i wont have the money and i'm underage for any good partying. I need to save my money, and i'll be sleeping and working alot oh yhea and i'll have my senior year of high school.

You dont like meat but work at Mcdonalds?
    I mean I know you dont have to eat it but.....
    Anyway, make sure you know where the water stop-cock is & also the elec breaker switch . My shower tap exploded once & sprayed everything - so it helps to know things like that .

+ Reply to Thread