+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suspension Convention in Providence, Rhode Island

and your little dog too

Default Suspension Convention in Providence, Rhode Island

from yahoo

Whatever You Do, Don't Read This... By Ellen Wulfhorst

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (Reuters) - Tony Troiano grimaced as he was lifted off the floor by giant fishhooks pierced through the skin on his shoulders.

Within minutes, he started to spin, swing his feet and declare the painful experience "the greatest thing" ever.

"I was on Cloud Nine," the Wethersfield, Connecticut teenager said as he joined fellow body suspension practitioners at an annual convention over the weekend. "It was euphoric. It was spiritual. I'd do it again today if I wasn't so sore."

From tentative first-timers to the well practiced, more than a hundred aficionados celebrated their passion for body suspension at the three-day gathering, held in an old textile mill in Providence, Rhode Island.

To hang cost $100; just to watch cost $15 at what many say is the best such gathering for the hundreds, if not thousands, of people they estimate practice suspension across America.

"Ever stand up too fast and feel like you're about to pass out?" said Dave Post, of Albany, New York explaining why he liked hanging from hooks. "It's like you're stuck at that point."

The practice requires three-inch (7.6-cm) steel deep sea fishing hooks freshly inserted under the skin for each suspension.

A basic "suicide" hang uses hooks in the back, a chest suspension requires hooks in front, a knee suspension puts the body upside down, and the "Superman" pose requires hooks along the back and upper thighs. The hooks are attached to ropes, and pulleys slowly lift the body off the floor.

Some people spin like acrobats, some play like children on a swing and others hang solemnly. Some giggle, some cry.

"Some people have a spiritual experience, some people just have fun and some people don't like it and come right down," said Mike Giossi, a local mechanic and fan of the practice.

Jess Robins, a student from Canada, hung almost motionless from hooks inserted through the tops of her breasts. Blood poured down her belly, and her legs trembled.

Nearby, two men played a game of tug-of-war, pulling at each other with wire cables attached through their elbows.

"When I first got off the ground, I never felt pain like that in my life. But afterward, I was just filled with empowerment," said Giossi. "I've never been happier than when I came down."

SEARCH FOR INTENSITY?

Practitioners may seek the power and intensity suspension offers, said Karen Conterio, co-author of "Bodily Harm," a book about self-mutilation. Suspension also could be a rite of passage.

"It's a conquest of some sort. People are pushing the envelope more and more to attain some kind of separation and identification from society, and this is one way of doing it," she said. "Most people who probably are pretty healthy are not going to go to that extreme."

Many practitioners say suspension is somehow therapeutic.

"Look at his face. He's so serene," said Rosemary Curtis, watching her boyfriend swing slowly in the "Superman" pose. "We've had some really rough times this year, and he needed this really bad."

Not everyone was convinced. Colin Vanalstine watched but was not about to try it. "I'm afraid of needles," he said.

For such an off-beat practice, the convention is remarkably well-run, with sanitary precautions, surgical tools and almost military efficiency in preparing people for their suspension.

Some hang for a few minutes, others for an hour or more.

The biggest danger is cross-contamination, organizers said, due to so much open flesh and blood. Other dangers involve people passing out or suffering seizures, they said.

"The first couple of times, I didn't enjoy it," said Canadian Warren Hiller. "The first time I blacked out, and one time I was convulsing. But the third time I got better. I wasn't blacking out anymore."

It's not masochism, said Allen Falkner of Dallas, who has practiced suspension for 13 years. "Suspension is not about pain, it's about getting past the pain."

Advocates say suspension has been practiced since ancient times in many societies.

"It's searching for answers, trying new things," Hiller said. "You can only get pierced and tattooed so many times."

Rosemary Curtis (R) holds the hand of her boyfriend Michael Belardo as he hangs in the 'Superman' pose during a Suspension Convention in Providence, Rhode Island, April 2, 2005. From tentative first-timers to well-practiced masters, more than 100 aficionados celebrated their passion for body suspension at the three-day gathering, held in an old textile mill. (Chip East/Reuters)

Jess Robins concentrates as hooks through her upper chest are used to hang her during a Suspension Convention, held in Providence, Rhode Island, April 2, 2005. From tentative first-timers to well-practiced masters, more than a hundred aficionados celebrated their passion for body suspension at the three-day gathering, held in an old textile mill. Photo by Chip East/Reuters

Adam Aries (R) and 'Atom M.' (L) spin while attached by a metal beam and hooks through the skin of their backs during a Suspension Convention in Providence, Rhode Island, April 2, 2005. From tentative first-timers to well-practiced masters, more than a hundred aficionados celebrated their passion for body suspension at the three-day gathering, held in an old textile mill. (Chip East/Reuters)

Default Re: Suspension Convention in Providence, Rhode Island

Ow.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

always wanted to try that,had a few chances,even been with people doing it, but just couldn't get the courage....

I've wanted to try that ever since I saw this old movie, "Man Called 'Horse'" when I was about 8. It is about a white guy who comes across some native Americans and is invited to join their tribe. One of the rites of initiation is a suspension. Don't really care about joining a tribe, but the suspension part looks pretty cool!
    Last edited by tinstar; 04-07-2005 at 08:40 AM. Reason: more accurate

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Quote Originally Posted by tinstar
    I've wanted to try that ever since I saw this old movie, "Man Called 'Horse'" when I was about 8. It is about a white guy who comes across some native Americans and is invited to join their tribe. One of the rites of initiation is a suspension. Don't really care about joining a tribe, but the suspension part looks pretty cool!
    Damned good movie.. Richard Harris I miss you.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah, looks pretty fun. good place to just hang around

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Very cool...wish their was more pictures though.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Interesting take on it.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

I cant believe they charged 100 bucks to hang. *sigh* so much for the underground. It sucks I do it for spiritual reasons, otherwise Im starting to despise the suspension community.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    I cant believe they charged 100 bucks to hang. *sigh* so much for the underground. It sucks I do it for spiritual reasons, otherwise Im starting to despise the suspension community.
    People always want to make a buck...by the dozen...plus you'd be surprised how the simple act of being charged and what not effects how people see it. For some money = credibility. If it was free I'm sure some would have seen it as just some carnival sideshow trick.

Seems awesome, though I dont know if I would try it, but if I did, I would probably just have them put the hooks where I already have scars on My back.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

like i said up there ,had many chances,but i could never get the courage...

how is it....in your opinion....never talked with a chick about doin' it....

it seems liek it swould be cool to go to it but if it is really commercial probably don;t learn much

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    like i said up there ,had many chances,but i could never get the courage...

how is it....in your opinion....never talked with a chick about doin' it....
    Its really different for everyone. It depends on why you are doing it, if youre mentally ready, etc. I know people who bragged about how they were going to do it, and never even got the second set of hooks in! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbink
    Damned good movie.. Richard Harris I miss you.

Rock on...! Let's hear it for obscure shit, hehe....

I'd like to note that i was at the event and that $100 isn't meant to make a profit but to cover costs. Proper rigging, sterilization, and everything costs money and to rent out the space costs money... They don't want to charge money nor do they expect to make a profit...

The group responsible, Rites of Passage, puts on this event every year and this year they actually did it at a financial loss (a big one at that)...

It was an amazing event with some awesome people, so its hard to find people criticizing it over the price they were charging...

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Well, Id like to go into costs, because I KNOW it doesnt cost 100 bucks for a suspension. If they throw it every year, how come they make new rigging every year? I dont believe for one second that they went under with this, especially if you are not in the group enough to know their finances. Plus 15 bucks to watch? Bah, I just dont believe it. Ive been paid TO suspend so I know its not expensive to put on.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I think the key thing was the rental cost of the space to put this on...finding a good place is tough since most places LOVE to gouge the people they rent too.

My guess is they got screwed in the rental cost place more than anything else.

Well, Id like to go into costs, because I KNOW it doesnt cost 100 bucks for a suspension. If they throw it every year, how come they make new rigging every year? I dont believe for one second that they went under with this, especially if you are not in the group enough to know their finances. Plus 15 bucks to watch? Bah, I just dont believe it. Ive been paid TO suspend so I know its not expensive to put on.
    i'm sure couple of suspensions do not cost that much, neither would the supplies needed for it... but we're looking at supplies to do up to 100 in 3 days...

you're looking at a convention where everything you need has to be available on site (which has to be rented)... i'm talking about hooks, rope, gauze, needles, bandages, gloves, juice, water, etc...

plus you have to factor in the people who back out... the people who signed up for suspension and never showed up... the supplies were bought for them but the cost was never recouped because they didn't show up...

i'm not going to speak on behalf of the group because i'm not part of it... i will only speak from my experience with them, which is they're great people who try their hardest to make any suspension special and safe for those who are suspending...

and the $15 cost for spectating was for 3-days... and that's just to help cover the expense of space rental...

I knew nothing of this event but I am familiar with the rites of passage group. They are very professional and into it for the right reasons.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

I still have my opinions on it. I like Rites of Passage and the members I know in it, so Ill just move on;]

nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos

its sad but, with the way things are today- internet and such- Im not sure there ever will be an "underground" again- of any kind!! anything that starts that way will be short lived at best.
    I'd love to try though- I just don't want all the hole in my body-

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

hell yeah i want to do that.

+ Reply to Thread