+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just saw Lost In Translation

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Just saw Lost In Translation

That movie traumatized some people I know, but most said it was ridiculously overrated. As of today, I am officially replacing all of my friends who didn't think it was good.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: Just saw Lost In Translation

Have not seen it yet...it's on my lil list though...I just tend to avoid films that have Sofia Coppola in the mix.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Don't think I've seen anything else she has been involved in. Anything in particular turn you off?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Don't think I've seen anything else she has been involved in. Anything in particular turn you off?
    The Godfather Part 3...it hurt me as a kid and more as an adult.

Her work as a director though seems to prove she's better behind the camera...The Virgin Suicides was pretty good...she has at least managed to capture some of her fathers filmmaking qualities and thankfully they are the ones related to character development.

Still not 100% sold on her...but who knows...her next film could erase the scars caused by The Godfather Part 3...it literally broke my heart as a kid.

Slave326667's Avatar Slave & Master.

Hmm, I was in a particularly restless mood when I saw that movie, and coulden't pay attention, Perhaps I'll give it another go. Heh, I liked the strip-club music thoe, I must remember to look for an album.

countessnichole's Avatar Wicca, Friend, Lover.

"Rhip my stockings"
    "What, did you just say 'Lip'?"

One of the funny scenes from that movie *laughing*

HelenaHotpants's Avatar Exception, not the rule

I am totally with you on this AmeliaG. I watched it and I was like "what was so great about that?" About halfway through I got bored with it so I started flipping through a magazine in the hopes that it got better. It didn't. I was just glad when it was over. I have friends who can't stop singing its praises. I think they have been brainwashed by the film critics!

Quote Originally Posted by Slave326667
    Hmm, I was in a particularly restless mood when I saw that movie, and coulden't pay attention, Perhaps I'll give it another go. Heh, I liked the strip-club music thoe, I must remember to look for an album.
    I believe the tittie bar music was only included on some versions of the soundtrack CD because music industry people are stupid. Fuck the Pain Away is by Peaches on probably The Teaches of Peaches.

So what was so great about this movie? Maybe I missed the good parts when I was asleep..

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

It had a really good feel, and really captured how it would feel to be stuck in a hotel there in Japan. The only problem is that it captures a lot of boredom, which makes some viewers go insane. I did not mind the feeling of oppressive boredom, and the culture-gap stuff. They also captured several bad relationships. That was all good. But what bugged me, was that her and Bill Murray would never fucking talk to each other about what they were feeling. It's like they never said anything. Just observed things, hung out, etc. I wanted to scream. JUST SAY SOMETHING! He does say something at the end. But you aren't supposed to know what it is. Most people are not so quiet and secretive. They like to bitch. A more realistic version would be her and Bill at the bar, bitching to each other about their shitty relationships... I liked the movie overall, but I totally understand why people could not stand it. It can get boring. It's all about this hidden dialogue or attraction, under the surface. But the actual movie plot, and events, are not that exciting at all...

i wasnt that keen on lost in translation but i loved the virgin suicides. she should stay behind the camera more often.

+ Reply to Thread