+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clothes and the impact they make..

Unforgiven's Avatar Junior Member

Default Clothes and the impact they make..

I dress in relatively dark clothing, exotic band t-shirts, baggy black pants with chains, I wear my trench-coat religiously and my Original Gamer beanie is on my head every-time I leave my house..

I've seen the impact that clothing has on society as a whole in this day and age, for example. I was wearing my normal attire and I stayed at my friend's house for the night, the next morning I was informed that my friend's sister was petrified of me because I dress the way I do.

If I wore Abecrombie and Fitch or American Eagle I guarantee I wouldn't get the looks that I do when I wear the clothes that I enjoy wearing. I'm never going to change just because people are stereotypical and short-sighted, it just pisses me off.

It doesn't help at all that in the area where I live it's very uncommon to see somebody dress the way I do, it's more common to see somebody driving a lawn mower down the sidewalk.

Opinions? Insight? Please share.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Re: Clothes and the impact they make..

True story:

Walked in to work- black bandanna tied around the forehead (like Rambo), sleeveless T-shirt, leather vest with biker patches, jeans, boots. Sunglasses - tattoos from forearm to shoulder.

Scared the shit out of people at work.

Got to my desk. Removed the bandanna, sunglasses, vest. Put on a long sleeve shirt and buttoned it.

*gasp* OH, it's YOU!!!!

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Unforgiven, I don't know where you live, or what the weather is like there. So I don't know if what I'm about to say applies to you specifically. But here in Philly we have guys that walk around in an outfit similar to yours all the time. And when I say all the time, I'm including the middle of summer when it's 98 degrees on the street.

Now I know myself and most of my friends, it's not about being scared or discriminatory towards other fashion sensibilites. It's similar to the opinion we have about a homeless guy that'd walk down the street in the same weather wearing 5 different goose-down coats and 6 pairs of pants.

It just kind of boils down to, "Hey look at that stupid asshole."

What about the way he dresses screams "asshole" to you, Rockwulf?

Well, like I said, I don't know what the weather's like where he lives and what I said may or may not apply to him, I think anyone who doesn't "dress for the weather" is a fashion victim. And the one's that do it on purpose are either crazy, like in the case of your average hobo, or an asshole who's said to himself, "I don't care how much I sweat, or how uncomfortable I am all day. I'm still going to wear the 5lb. leather trenchcoat and all black when I could have thrown on some light colors and some shorts and actually been comfortable."

Full disclosure, I own and frequently wear a 5lb. black leather trech coat. But I only wear it when it's cold and raining. Y'know, the time that it was designed to be worn.

Don't get me wrong, if you're happy and comfortable wearing whatever, then do it. Doesn't change my life one way or the other so have fun.

The ones that I think are assholes are the ones that you see walking around sweating their nuts off but still wearing black and heavy clothes; or conversely, freezing their tits off but still wearing miniskirts and fishnet tops, but only doing it because they think they should to fit some kind of goth/punk/hardcore/emo/etc/etc/etc/ dress code.

If you're doing it because you WANT to do it, great. Carry on, hope ya have a blast.

If you're doing it because you think you SHOULD be doing it, THAT is when I think you're an asshole.

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    Well, like I said, I don't know what the weather's like where he lives and what I said may or may not apply to him, I think anyone who doesn't "dress for the weather" is a fashion victim. And the one's that do it on purpose are either crazy, like in the case of your average hobo, or an asshole who's said to himself, "I don't care how much I sweat, or how uncomfortable I am all day. I'm still going to wear the 5lb. leather trenchcoat and all black when I could have thrown on some light colors and some shorts and actually been comfortable."

Full disclosure, I own and frequently wear a 5lb. black leather trech coat. But I only wear it when it's cold and raining. Y'know, the time that it was designed to be worn.

Don't get me wrong, if you're happy and comfortable wearing whatever, then do it. Doesn't change my life one way or the other so have fun.

The ones that I think are assholes are the ones that you see walking around sweating their nuts off but still wearing black and heavy clothes; or conversely, freezing their tits off but still wearing miniskirts and fishnet tops, but only doing it because they think they should to fit some kind of goth/punk/hardcore/emo/etc/etc/etc/ dress code.

If you're doing it because you WANT to do it, great. Carry on, hope ya have a blast.

If you're doing it because you think you SHOULD be doing it, THAT is when I think you're an asshole.
    yeah I pretty much agree with all that. To go a bit further... the amount of people I see walking around looking disagreeable in my opinion is vast but I don't let it bother me cos I don't want to be bothered my entire life.

We've all been on the end of hassle from turkeys who have nothing in their bland lives more interesting than trying to cover up their blandness by poking at people displaying individuality. The amount of flack I would get simply for wearing sunglasses when there is clearly no sun would be more if I couldn't exude an air of menace that's a bit intimidating and spooky when needed. The one time being ugly pays off - folk think twice or decide they may as well try and bully someone easier.

I always wonder what business it is of anyone what anyone else wears. Then again you are being unrealistic if you choose to walk around looking really wacky and can't handle others noticing or commenting. But as you say people clinging to a derivative code of dress to make the scene aren't going to be cool but that's their lame luck. We can't all be ahead of fashion which is good actually. This all seems obvious.

My current come-back when getting this type of hassle seems to be working and I've used it 3 or 4 times in the last 3 or 4 weeks:

Jerk: (angrily) uuhh... why are you wearing <woteva>
    Me: Why not?
    Jerk: uuuhh... <doesn't matter what they say>
    Me: oooo I've been looking all day for <the boss of my face/body><the guardian of world style><the minister for fashion>. I thought I'd never find you. I knew you'd be as stylish and good looking as this.

If the really are a jerk they are confused by this. If they aren't they will smile and it's all over.

Quote Originally Posted by helcyon
    yeah I pretty much agree with all that. To go a bit further... the amount of people I see walking around looking disagreeable in my opinion is vast but I don't let it bother me cos I don't want to be bothered my entire life.

We've all been on the end of hassle from turkeys who have nothing in their bland lives more interesting than trying to cover up their blandness by poking at people displaying individuality. The amount of flack I would get simply for wearing sunglasses when there is clearly no sun would be more if I couldn't exude an air of menace that's a bit intimidating and spooky when needed. The one time being ugly pays off - folk think twice or decide they may as well try and bully someone easier.

I always wonder what business it is of anyone what anyone else wears. Then again you are being unrealistic if you choose to walk around looking really wacky and can't handle others noticing or commenting. But as you say people clinging to a derivative code of dress to make the scene aren't going to be cool but that's their lame luck. We can't all be ahead of fashion which is good actually. This all seems obvious.

My current come-back when getting this type of hassle seems to be working and I've used it 3 or 4 times in the last 3 or 4 weeks:

Jerk: (angrily) uuhh... why are you wearing <woteva>
    Me: Why not?
    Jerk: uuuhh... <doesn't matter what they say>
    Me: oooo I've been looking all day for <the boss of my face/body><the guardian of world style><the minister for fashion>. I thought I'd never find you. I knew you'd be as stylish and good looking as this.

If the really are a jerk they are confused by this. If they aren't they will smile and it's all over.
    Haha, you agree with me but then confess to comiting one of the douchiest fashion crimes ever?!?! Sunglasses are awesome and useful WHEN THERE IS SUN IN YOUR EYES. If you wear them when you're inside and/or at night, you're just as much a tool as the guy with the leather coat on when it's 90 degrees!

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

I think everyone has had a moment where they look at someone and say,"Are they really wearing that?" For one reason or another.

Quote Originally Posted by SyntheticShock
    I think everyone has had a moment where they look at someone and say,"Are they really wearing that?" For one reason or another.
    There's "why did someone choose to dress inappropriately for the weather/a funeral" and "haha dood that guy's a douche woo Ed hardy rules man, UFC! let's bang some bitches".

Hey, bro! Hey, yeah, Eddie Munster, bro!

Don't you know Hallowe'en is in October!

HYAK HYUK HYAK

Okay, baby, I gotta run. Gotta hit the gym for five hours brushing up my pecs and abs, then it's the spray tan place and the nail salon. See you at the club this evening. Get the "landing strip" at the Brazilian place, aaight brah?

WOO!

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Heh hehe, nice.
    So sometimes people look at me funny, and sometimes I look at other people funny. Sometimes it's fashion before function, and sometimes the other way around. I wear what I like and fuck you if you have a problem with it. I can't understand why other people would care so much what I'm wearing. Get the fuck over it already. Funny though, I have an uncle who just can't wrap his head around the fact that I wear boots in the summer.

Senior_Diablo's Avatar in a rowboat

i've gotten funny looks before as well. i dont really care though. if im not at work i just wear what i want. most of the time its not the most weather appropriate attire but it doesnt bother me that much.. no matter what you'll always have people that dont like it or will stereotype because of it..i say fuck them..lol

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

it's all just gang shit

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    Haha, you agree with me but then confess to comiting one of the douchiest fashion crimes ever?!?! Sunglasses are awesome and useful WHEN THERE IS SUN IN YOUR EYES. If you wear them when you're inside and/or at night, you're just as much a tool as the guy with the leather coat on when it's 90 degrees!
    hehe The reasons are many such as adding to the enjoyment of ignoring people in a room People who wear clothes that are uncomfortable is fair enough anyway and their business but sunnies are rarely that way. There are other forms of light, glare and eye-paining than sunlight. It buuuurrrnsss. plus 'comiting' a crime against "fashion" is sort of fun and, just like comiting a crime against spelling, can be attributed to sunglasses that are too dark. But besides this it's been over 24 hours and I've just now noticed that you, a foremost authority in facewear faux pas, have offered me your thoughts. Thank you. Bear in mind that it's always sunny somewhere. In space it's always sunny and no-one can hear you scream "It's not sunny!!! aaaaaahhh!!!! I haaate your look!!!!!"

My 'style' changes from one day to the next.. I'm pretty low key, and desire to be as invisible as possible... for the most part.

I do like to stand out and make an artistic statement... but in this area, I have to be SO selective as to not get LYNCHED!

I don't know if this was the norm everywhere or if it was just happening in my little corner of the world but...in the late 80's early 90's the colour of laces you wore in your Docs said alot about you. Absurd I know but alot of people really went with this. Here's the breakdown:
    White laces- White Supremacist
    Red-Neo Nazi
    Purple-Homo or Bi Sexual
    Yellow-cop killer(!)

This was THE MOST ridiculous thing ever but I wear white laces in my boots, NOT because I'm racist but because they look good in black boots. It's that simple but I used to catch a lot of heat for that. I used to work in a coffee shop and this stupid bloody woman used to come in everyday and complain to my boss that I was racist and she knew it cuz hey, WHITE LACES!!!! Aagghh...
    I was forced to stop wearing my boots to work altogether because of that cunt. (I'm still bitter)
    ANYWAY..I just thought it was a little pathetic that she didn't want to be judged by the colour of her skin but it was ok for her to judge me by the colour of my montherfucking shoelaces!!!!
    I'm done now.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

when leading a rollout team replacing workstations or just any aspect of that job i wore shirt and suit (no tie, the old mech engineer in me remembers the idiot stident who got his tie stuck in a lathe). everyone else wore polo shirt jeans aor just a band teeshirt.

odly enough people only took my advice on matters.

and its a shame to say, but i have only ever gained promotion when my hair has been cut back to regimental standards for some reason outside of work (ass length hair in a black No1 uniform and peaked cap looks ridiculous at the best of times, especially when honoured with an invite to the palace for my achievements,

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

yeah, laces where quite the big thing, there was also something to do with the number of holes and laces combination.

fuck, I know people who get wierd when they see someone using a certain coloured bic lighter.

oh well, people and thier pet peeves

Quote Originally Posted by helcyon
    hehe The reasons are many such as adding to the enjoyment of ignoring people in a room People who wear clothes that are uncomfortable is fair enough anyway and their business but sunnies are rarely that way. There are other forms of light, glare and eye-paining than sunlight. It buuuurrrnsss. plus 'comiting' a crime against "fashion" is sort of fun and, just like comiting a crime against spelling, can be attributed to sunglasses that are too dark. But besides this it's been over 24 hours and I've just now noticed that you, a foremost authority in facewear faux pas, have offered me your thoughts. Thank you. Bear in mind that it's always sunny somewhere. In space it's always sunny and no-one can hear you scream "It's not sunny!!! aaaaaahhh!!!! I haaate your look!!!!!"
    You know you always look.... nice.

Sometimes it's fun to dress for reaction. A few weeks ago I went to the bar dressed like a hippie! It was soooo funny. Those who know me got the joke right away but it was hilarious to watch others point and whisper and wonder what I was doing in a place like that. Obviously not a hippie friendly place.
    It it absolutely necessary to dress like the music you listen too?
    Btw, I listen to the Stones and Jefferson Airplane as well, and I rather like hippies. So there.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

nowt wrong with the stones.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

Every one here assumes that if you wear black you must be an Emo.
    At the moment I have baggy blus jeans and a cream zip up jumper on, and true story, I went to the shops for a drink and I guy walked into me, saw my shoes (black canvas slip ons with skulls on them) and started having a go at me cos Im apparently an emo.
    The guy had an emo fringe, tight black jeans and an 50 cent shirt on and HE got the shits when I pointed out that he looked like more of an emo than I did.
    Seriously his friend held him back cos he was about to hit me.
    I can't stand people like that: Hippocrites, people who assume things about people they dont know or are just fuckwits.

yeah, its like on one hand a stereotype exists for a reason, and on the other... its extremely lame to live one's life SOLEY by them....

+ Reply to Thread