+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fondue???

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

Default Fondue???

I went to eat fondue for the first time last weekend with my little brother (13 days shy of turning 14) and another friend. I thought we'd have a selection of places to choose from but we found only 5 that served fondue. Of those 5 only 2 were exclusively fondue restaurants, the other's just had a fondue appetizer. Of the two only 1 was still in business, so voila! Our decision was made!

The restaurant didn't open till 5:30 so we killed time shopping at both the new and old Necromance stores, which was a shole lot of fun!! The old one of course specializes in animal artifacts and remains, and the new one in human stuff. They had a black crystal chandeleir I want SO BAD! It's only $800...what a deal! I am gonna go in and buy gift certificates until I can afford it!

Back to fondue though.....

We show up and are greeted, seated and served by french employees. This of course added to the ambiance of the dated 70's decor. We have an appetizer of bread and butter followed by a dinner of bread and cheesy fondue, also with pickles and apples to dip in the cheese. For desert was chocolate fondue with a bunch of fruits to dip :-) After spending $115 after tip, we decided only the chocolate fondue was worth going back for, and we could probably buy a fondue kit and all the ingredients fot less than it'd cost :-)

However, we did have a good time, so I am glad we went :-) We just aren't planning to go again....

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Fondue???

I sometimes buy fondue fixings at home. My parents used to have it at home sometimes and they would make it totally from scratch, which is the best. I'm not really a fan of dessert fondues, but I looooooooooooooooooooooove cheese fondue. I keep meaning to try actual fondue restaurants in this area. I think there is a chain one in the Valley which I liked another branch of in Maryland or Virginia. Luna Park locally has a tasty goat cheese fondue appetizer which bread and apples.

shiki's Avatar nappy headed ho

Yeah there are a few Melting Pots out this way, one in Reston Va, one in Tysons Corner VA, one in Annapolis MD. I like doing fondue at home.

EasyRider's Avatar Senior Member

Scar, you little whippersnapper, you're way too young to remember the 1970s, if you were a child from back then you'd remember avocado or pea-soup coloured appliances, rafia and macrame, bell bottoms, muscle cars, the Star Wars Christmas special, whole wheat and carob birthday cake, and

FONDUE

considering that back then you also got spanked by women who looked EXACTLY like Mrs. Roper from Three's Company (complete with medallion) you can understand why overpriced melted cheese evokes equal nostalgia and repulsion.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Fondue sets were the George Foreman Grills of the 1970s.. if you knew some fool was getting married, and you kinda knew them enough to turn up but not enough to put effort into a gift, you bought them a fondue set. Millions of American homes now have two, in their original boxes, festering in the loft.

It was also the decade of 'third degree cheese burn' first appearing in accident statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    It was also the decade of 'third degree cheese burn' first appearing in accident statistics.

What's the deal with the Tarot cards in that picture?

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

cheese fondue is one of my favourite foods. we make it at home about once a month.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Cheese fondues have gone so far in Germany that you no longer need the fondue set. You can buy the cheese ready prepared, heat it up in the oven and serve it direct.

Somehow I think that takes a little bit of fun away from the whole, though.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider
    Scar, you little whippersnapper, you're way too young to remember the 1970s, if you were a child from back then you'd remember avocado or pea-soup coloured appliances, rafia and macrame, bell bottoms, muscle cars, the Star Wars Christmas special, whole wheat and carob birthday cake, and

FONDUE

considering that back then you also got spanked by women who looked EXACTLY like Mrs. Roper from Three's Company (complete with medallion) you can understand why overpriced melted cheese evokes equal nostalgia and repulsion.
    no shit... let's not forget shag carpet, double knit polyester, 8-track tapes, and pantsuits.... and not just avocado colred appliances, but those awful mustard and burnt orange colors too.... sadly, the 80's were not much better.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    no shit... let's not forget shag carpet, double knit polyester, 8-track tapes, and pantsuits.... and not just avocado colred appliances, but those awful mustard and burnt orange colors too.... sadly, the 80's were not much better.
    I still want a pair of the oldstyle rollerskates The 80s were fun haha I'll have to post a pic sometime. The lack of change is what tends to scary ppl.

OEC

If you remember those years, VB, you at most were born on Dec 31 1979

ARGH you had to remind me of burnt mustard and that hideous radioactive terracotta orange......

faux wood panelling on stereos.....

Mind you, it was a mixed bag - they had wife swapping and cocaine...

Trotter's Avatar Senior Member

When it comes to fondue i usually fondont. (ow I think a piece of me just died on the inside)

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Quote Originally Posted by Trotter
    When it comes to fondue i usually fondont. (ow I think a piece of me just died on the inside)
    that's what I was going to say. you're not the only one with a terrible sense of humour

If you remember those years, VB, you at most were born on Dec 31 1979
    guess again, buddy.... everyone here would be very surprised..... however, I'll never say; It's my favorite secret...

guess again, buddy.... everyone here would be very surprised..... however, I'll never say; It's my favorite secret...
    btw, if anyone else knows, you'd better not say.... thanks dudes.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I was quite pleased with myself when noone in school ever guessed the first number in my age right (save maybe 5 I swore to secrecy)

Worship of *literal* youth is like praying for premature ejaculation. Let them eat cake, quickly!

OEC

btw, if anyone else knows, you'd better not say.... thanks dudes.
    Well, then, you look REALLY fuckin good for however old you are.

Mind you, so do I.

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

I wasn't even born in the 70's guys!!!
    !

Lucky for you, Scar.

There's a reason I have no school photos or any photos from my childhood.

Airplane wing collars and suchlike in your elementary school photos, I mean a spiky Rod Stewart mullet and bell bottom jeans sounds hip in theory, but those pics are not that style done in an Ashton Kutcher urban hipster or an ironic alternative kind of way, but in the tobacco brown/chunky earthenware/carob and yoghurt kind of gross. I'm sure VB has some horror pics that have Lilttle House on the Prairie style dresses in them and suchlike, but the girls got off a lot easier than we men.

Thank Ghod I had some kind of taste in high school, I don't have Kirk Cameron looking high school photos - but there's still that refugee from a Flock of Seagulls period and there were pitfalls there too, lotsa hair metal pics in my yearbook.

But then again, you have a pic of yourself taking a piss on an album cover, so I guess you were just born for pics of yourself to be cool.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter
    What's the deal with the Tarot cards in that picture?
    Because that is not fondue.

The photo is a still from the little-known Hammer Horror

The Curse of the Ghoul from Gruyere

Christopher Lee played a clinically insane but attractively camp dairy farmer from the lower valleys of Zephista, who spent his life trying to resurrect heifers using a combination of lightning, Peter, Paul and Mary.

oh, and yeah.. I'm all for intellectual discourse but puhlease - most of you only dimply remember Reagan, never mind Jim the Peanut. Voltaire being an exception as we all know she's 43 but was extensively repaired by the Smithsonian for their 2003 winter exhibit.

"Repaired by the Smithsonian"?

I'm sure VB has some horror pics that have Lilttle House on the Prairie style dresses in them and suchlike, but the girls got off a lot easier than we men.

yuck. i had to wear that shit not just for firs t,second ,and third grade, but fouth and fifth too.............*shudder*

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

I was born in the 70's... I have never eaten Fondue, I want to,,, I have never eaten Escargot, I want to..

I hate the 70's... I think that was the decade that should have been skipped... Except for Star Wars, The Warriors, and some of the movies... and some bands of that time... other than that... forget about it

You forget

the Harley Davidson/AMF Shovelhead engine
    the Firebird, Camaro, and Charger
    Kickass 70s rock

shiki's Avatar nappy headed ho

i was around for almost the whole of the 70's and i think they pretty much rocked. I love the old pics of us in the kookiest clothes, and the pics of my dad and uncle with afros they could hide shit in.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

You forget

the Harley Davidson/AMF Shovelhead engine
    the Firebird, Camaro, and Charger
    Kickass 70s rock
    Your right I did forget the Harley... also the Malibu too

+ Reply to Thread