+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dogs good for your health

and your little dog too

Default dogs good for your health

from the independent

How a dog's life can make you happier
    By Martin Hodgson
    Published: 22 January 2007

If you are looking for a healthier life, get a dog. Scientists have long believed that the companionship of a pet can be good for you, but new research suggests that dog owners are physically healthier than cat owners.

According to Deborah Wells from Queen's University, Belfast, dog owners tend to have lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels, possibly thanks to regular walks with their four-legged friends.

Writing in the British Journal of Health Psychology, Dr Wells said that dog owners appear to suffer from fewer minor ailments as well as fewer serious medical problems.

In a review of dozens of previous studies, Dr Wells found that dogs also seem to aid recovery from serious illnesses, such as heart attacks. One study published in 1995 found that dog owners were more likely, by about 8.6 per cent, to be alive one year after a heart attack than those who do not own a dog.

Dr Wells said: "It is possible that dogs can directly promote our well-being by buffering us from stress. The ownership of a dog can also lead to increases in physical activity and facilitate the development of social contacts, which may enhance physiological and psychological human health in a more indirect manner."

One British study found that the presence of a dog can help chronically ill children endure potentially painful medical procedures.

With their heightened sense of smell, dogs also appear to be able to sniff out malignant melanomas, a kind of cancer, or the onset of low blood sugar in diabetics, research suggests.

A study in Israel, meanwhile, suggested that pets can help people with schizophrenia to feel calmer and more motivated.

Default Re: dogs good for your health

Got a dog, they're great comforting companions, especially the larger ones.

Meg is about five/six years old and shes an awesome, black pure bred labrador with an unbelievably comforting persona. If I'm feeling sick or depressed (usually about a girl haha) meg will come and jump onto bed when i'm sleeping or crying and sit there pawing and licking. It's so cute and goes a long way to making you feel better. Likewise, she'll come and just lay close or next to you when watching films and all that.

As for the benefits related to illness, I'm sure if Meg could make chicken soup and bring it in she would, but we haven't had to deal with any serious stuff at all and I hope meg doesn't have to warn us haha

Jebadiah's Avatar Senior Member

Ah, I thought this thread was going to have some good Korean recipes.

badkittyamy's Avatar Crazy Art Kitten

lol not if PeTA has their way. Who two of their employies are up on animal cruelty charges today.

hmm i'll put that in a new thread

+ Reply to Thread