+ Reply to Thread

Thread: should Canada Approve UK Cannabis Drug?

and your little dog too

Default should Canada Approve UK Cannabis Drug?

from cnn

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- British biotech firm GW Pharmaceuticals' cannabis-based medicine has been tipped for approval for the first time, with Canadian regulators giving the go-ahead for its multiple sclerosis drug.

The news comes just weeks after British regulators said they wanted more evidence about the benefits of the drug, which is used to treat the central nervous system disease, delaying its approval in the UK and battering GW Pharma's shares.

"As far as I'm aware, it's the first approval for a prescription cannabis medicine anywhere," a spokesman for the firm told Reuters on Tuesday.

Shares in the firm jumped as much as 9.5 percent. They had lost about a third of their value since the start of December when UK regulators asked for more studies.

Canada has confirmed that Sativex qualifies to be considered for approval. GW is required to respond and accept conditions within 30 days. If the response is acceptable, the regulator will proceed to finalize the marketing authorization.

Analysts said the Canadian system for drug approval meant the rest of the process was little more than a formality. GW Pharma said it expected full approval by early next year.

"Under the Canadian system, full approval should be relatively straightforward from here," said Jon Senior, analyst at Evolution Beeson Gregory, who rates the stock an "add." He said the relatively modest gains in the wake of the Canadian news meant the stock looked good value at these levels.

The medicine, administered by means of a spray into the mouth, will be exclusively marketed in Canada by Germany's Bayer, the firm said.

GW grows thousands of marijuana plants at a secret location in the English countryside, having been granted a dispensation by the government to use the plant for medical research.

The firm had hoped for UK approval to come through last year, but the drug has been held up by a series of regulatory delays. The latest UK delay could put back the launch of the drug in this country by at least six months.

Default Re: should Canada Approve UK Cannabis Drug?

yes. I think marijuana should be legal. Like i said before I, Myself am drug free. But I see no problem with marijuana. It is a plant that grows in the wild, in no way should the use plantlife be illegal.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

If it helps people, it makes sense for it to be something doctors can prescribe. Warning: side effects may include decreased ambition, munchies, and wet dog smell.

adorn_shadow's Avatar Senior Member

I think medically Marijuana should b usd, I think it should possibly be decriminalized however then I think that there should be harsher punishments for users of cocaine and heroin. I am also drug free with the exception of cigarettes and coffee. But i think it could solve alot of problems.

Cannabis Sativa should be globally legalized!

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by adorn_shadow
    I think medically Marijuana should b usd, I think it should possibly be decriminalized however then I think that there should be harsher punishments for users of cocaine and heroin. I am also drug free with the exception of cigarettes and coffee. But i think it could solve alot of problems.

I would way rather be in a room with people using cocaine or heroin than people smoking cannabis or cigarettes. Why would you think harsher punishments for users of those make sense?

Coffee . . . well, that would be my drug of choice. I haven't had any in the last week though. Detoxing for the new year.

+ Reply to Thread