+ Reply to Thread

Thread: do you believe testosterone makes men rich?

and your little dog too

Default do you believe testosterone makes men rich?

Study finds size matters for financial trading success

from yahoo

LONDON (Reuters) – In the testosterone-fuelled world of financial trading, it appears that hormones do rule and size really does matter, British researchers said on Monday.

Their study found that experienced traders with the longest ring fingers made more than three times the amount of money as did their less well endowed colleagues.

The length of a person's ring finger relative to the index finger may be a measure of prenatal exposure to male sex hormones or androgens, which could boost the concentration and reflexes needed to make trades on sudden notice, they said.

So no matter how much a trader knows about markets, the key to winning trades may in large part stem from biology, John Coates and colleagues at the University of Cambridge wrote in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

"The success and longevity of traders exposed to high levels of prenatal androgens further suggests that financial markets may select for biological traits rather than rational expectations," they wrote.

Previous research has also tied finger length to aggression, fertility, sporting ability and increased confidence and quickened reaction times, the researchers said.

In their experiment, the researchers studied 44 men from a trading floor in London, some of whom earned more than 4 million each year. All were involved in the kind of trading that involved rapid decisions and quick reactions.

After measuring the men's fingers, the researchers correlated the traders' profits and losses over the preceding 20 months and found that longer ring fingers predicted higher long term profits and how long he stuck it out in the business.

Experienced traders with the longest "ring" fingers -- the digit beside the smallest finger -- earned 828,000 on average compared to 154,000 for men with the shortest fingers, and average overall annual earnings of 537,000.

(Reporting by Michael Kahn; Editing by Maggie Fox and Ralph Boulton)

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: do you believe testosterone makes men rich?

I think it would be more accurate to say that people who are small, with small hands, or who are short, etc, are more likely to suffer from social anxiety and other issues, due to being teased while growing up, that probably leads to them being less forceful and aggressive, thus leading to less success later in life...

People who are tall, healthy, athletic, and so on, are going to be more socially accepted, and be more confident, and will thus do better in the business world. Unless those tall people just do sports, and never go to college, and fail at life...

So we have to assume that those traders they used in their study, are the tall people who went to college, got a job doing advanced accounting work, etc. So those people are already going to be doing fairly well. But the shorter, smaller, smart people, are still not going to be quite as confident as the taller ones...

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I think testosterone makes men dicks.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

what the hell...........I have big hands, and my ring finger is condsiderably longer then my index finger and I don't make ..........eight hundred thousand or even poor peoples wages of a hundred fifty thousand............

who the fuck does all these studies?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    what the hell...........I have big hands, and my ring finger is condsiderably longer then my index finger and I don't make ..........eight hundred thousand or even poor peoples wages of a hundred fifty thousand............

who the fuck does all these studies?

People with little hands?

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    People with little hands?
    "...small hands... smell like cabbage..."

+ Reply to Thread