+ Reply to Thread

Thread: News from The Rebel Alliance and The Evil Empire

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Default News from The Rebel Alliance and The Evil Empire

The Rebels Have Spoken:

Anti-Microsoft Group Offers Money to Switch Browsers

By Steve Javors

WORCHESTER, Mass. — Four anti-Microsoft activists have launched a campaign that will give web publishers $1 for every Internet Explorer user they can convince to use Mozilla Firefox.

“Firefox is one of the most important software applications in the world because it can play a big part in determining the future of the web,” an open letter from the four activists said. “It is crucial that an open-source, standards-based web browser becomes the most popular browser, and Firefox has a shot at being that.”

The group has launched two websites, ExplorerDestroyer.com and KillBillsBrowser.com. The first site contains scripts to detect what browser the surfer is using, and if it’s IE, a splash page or banner will pop up trying to convince them to switch.

The site displays three levels of encouragement depending on how forcefully the web publisher wants to push the surfer towards downloading Firefox. The levels are labeled “Gentle encouragement,” “Semi-serious” and “Dead serious,” respectively.

The activists’ announcement comes on the heels of an unrelated Google program, proclaiming this week that it will pay $1 for each user referred to Firefox from the Google Toolbar.

Web publishers using the group’s script must be signed up to Google’s AdSense program to receive their referral fee. AdSense tracks the clicks made to the anti-IE splash pages, buttons or banners the web publisher uses.

“We've spent days fixing computers of our family members that have been hobbled by spyware that Internet Explorer allowed in,” the group said. “These annoyances alone more than justify an aggressive campaign to switch people to Firefox. But what really matters is putting the Internet back in the hands of the public and ensuring that the technology that will remake so much of our world in the next 30 years is a public resource not a corporate one.”

Darth Gates Retaliates:

Microsoft Gets Tough on Fake Windows

By Steve Javors

REDMOND, Wash. — Microsoft has stepped up its ongoing battle to combat software piracy.

The computer giant has beefed up its Windows Genuine Advantage (WGI) tool to detect users running counterfeit copies of Windows. WGI is automatically set to run when users access Windows Update, Microsoft Update for Windows and Microsoft Download Center.

If the tool detects fake Windows software, a popup informs the user they are running a pirated copy. Access to download Internet Explorer 7, Windows Defender and other updates would be denied.

Microsoft tested the WGI pilot program in a handful of countries starting in November 2005. The program has now expanded to include the U.S., the U.K., Malaysia, Australia and New Zealand.

While the verification program remains optional during the U.S. phase, “[Microsoft] may require customers using Automatic Update and Windows Update to participate as it expands later in the year,” director of Genuine Windows David Lazar told TechNewsWorld.

According to a report conducted by the Software Business Alliance, 35 percent of all software installed in 2004 was bogus. The illegitimate programs are blamed for $33 billion in losses for software manufacturers, while $59 billion was spent on genuine software in 2004 said IDC, a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research and events company.

“A recent IDC/BSA study showed that if the piracy rate were to drop to 25 percent, it would create as many as 2.4 million new jobs, $400 billion in economic growth and $67 billion in tax revenues worldwide,” Neil MacBride, the Vice President of legal affairs at Business Software Alliance, told TechNewsWorld.

In the U.K., Microsoft has offered to replace pirated copies of Windows XP that came preloaded on newly purchased PCs with the authentic OS.
    Last edited by Bondage Clown; 04-27-2006 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Had to complete the Star Wars Analogy

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: News from The Rebel Alliance and The Evil Empire

who cares what web brower you use? unless these "rebels" are going to let me connect to the internet for free, why should I give a shit about not using IE? also how am I supposed to use my computer without windows? buy a apple,as if they are any less greedy bastards. they don't care about anyone, they just want the whole world to use mac instead of PC.

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

buy a apple. if i had that kind of money to waste on beige plastic boxes, i would have my face buried in a garbage bag full of heroin, making loud SNRRRRRRFFFF noises.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil
    buy a apple. if i had that kind of money to waste on beige plastic boxes, i would have my face buried in a garbage bag full of heroin, making loud SNRRRRRRFFFF noises.

Good Zyborg, MAN

+ Reply to Thread