+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best PS2 RPG?

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

Default Best PS2 RPG?

So yea, the ps3 is almost here and with the exception of FF12, we've had pretty much all the RPG's we're going to get for the system. So with that being said, what is the best RPG for the ps2? Please explain why as well. I think I've played majority of them and just want to make sure I'm not missing out on any gems.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Default Re: Best PS2 RPG?

Bards Tale.. cynical like i am and Cary Elwes is the main character, makes fun of every Rpg style out there, and is just a good time

bards tale for ps2 or xbox is damn funny. great parody for RPG's! Original bards tale wasnt bad either for it's time lol.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

I haven't played the original.. but I was playing BT and i had to stop a few times cause i waslughing so hard

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

For me..Champions of Norath and its sequel, were fantastic games. Basic D&D rules and a nice story line through out. Plus its two player co-operative, which for me is a plus because the wife is a gaming geeks as well, and we never had to fight over who gets to play. Great graphics and a great replay value as well, with all the characters and expanded levels.

Spaceman Spiff's Avatar a boy and his tiger

I'm so much of a dork that I don't know what qualifies a game as RPG over something else. If God of War or GTA:VC are RPGs then they have my vote...otherwise...I've got nothin'.

Umbilical Lotus's Avatar Pregnant with Atrocities

Champions of Norrath was an amusing little hack-and-slash adventure, but the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance stuff is a lot more satisfying, if you can get past the "this is the ending BUT OHO IT'S NOT!" crap they pull on you.

Wild Arms 3 is pretty damn fun. I like the graphics, how they use cel-shading and that weird scribbly filter over everything to make it look hand-drawn. And Clive is hot. He has a big gun.

What saddens me is that I SHOULD be putting Breath of Fire here. I'm a big fangirl of the series, but Dragon Quarter had the unfortunate mix of good atmosphere, good storyline and absolutely unplayable game mechanics. Basically, it's like this: you turn into a dragon. However, a block has to be put in place to prevent you from doing this all the time and thus getting through the game easy. In older games, being a dragon ate up your Ability Points, which was a good balance in BoF3 considering you were the healer. Not so in Dragon Quarter; here, you have a little thingus called a D-counter which goes up when you use your dragon powers. When you turn into a dragon, it goes up. When you use your abilities as a dragon, it goes up. When you dragon-rush (ie: run) around the screen, it goes up. If you go into a fight, ANY fight, it goes up. IF YOU WALK, IT GOES UP. And if it hits 100%, you die. This is extremely annoying and means you never turn into a dragon, as well as meaning you have to keep your eye on this fucking thing all game long to ensure you don't insta-die. If you have a Gameshark, Dragon Quarter could be good. If not, blah.

+ Reply to Thread