+ Reply to Thread

Thread: should religious license plates be illegal? atheist ones?

and your little dog too

Default should religious license plates be illegal? atheist ones?

from all headline news

Atheist In Illinois Calls "God" License Plates Unfair

March 11, 2008 11:32 a.m. EST

Isabelle Duerme - AHN News Writer

Springfield, IL (AHN) - An atheist from Illinois expressed disapproval over license plates that brandish the words "In God We Trust", and has expressed that plates should also be made available that state "God is Make-Believe."

The man, Rob Sherman from Buffalo Grove, was adamant in saying that the option should be open, since residents have the option of buying the "In God We Trust" license plates for a mere extra $20.

According to the UPI, the plates, openly promoting the Christian religion, was given the approval from the House of Representatives to be made available to citizens, after it passed a vote at 105-3 held last week.

Sherman said that he would not even consider putting a plate in his car, "but if some Christian wants it on their car, that's fine."

The Springfield Journal Register quoted Rep. John Bradley (D-Marion), the sponsor of the bill that proposed in favor of the plates, who said that the plates would encourage people to show the national motto on their car, as well as help the Illinois Military Relief Fund, the recipient of the extra $20 for the plates.

"It's voluntary," he said. "You don't want the plates, you don't need to buy them...It's a potential source of revenue for military families and indicates a wonderful message."

The bill is scheduled to head to the Senate for approval.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Default Re: should religious license plates be illegal? atheist ones?

both plates are lame.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

It's a free country, and the message is OPTIONAL on the plates.

It's one thing to FORCE someone to wear a religious message, it's another to make it available for sale.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Hell no. I'll be goddamned if let I happen. Jesus fucking Christ, they do have the right to make me laugh in traffic.

OEC

It's not really acceptable to make them available for sale, either. They hope that by using language identical to what's seen on currency that they can avoid appearing to endorse a particular religious viewpoint. However, it's really not the state's place to endorse one religious message or another, and in selecting one message option here, that's surely what they are doing.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by inox
    It's not really acceptable to make them available for sale, either. They hope that by using language identical to what's seen on currency that they can avoid appearing to endorse a particular religious viewpoint. However, it's really not the state's place to endorse one religious message or another, and in selecting one message option here, that's surely what they are doing.
    Oh wait. The state is doing it. Scratch my last answer. Haven't had my coffee yet. I thought they meant those frames with silly messages on em.

OEC

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

The state should not force any religious icons on people. If a person wants to buy a plate with their beliefs on it, then fine. But to make everyone have to display what they want them to, that is not on.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

hmm. it's fuzzy. I think that them selling an optional plate doesn't count as "recognizing". I don't think that they should be able to put it on the state plate and make it mandatory, as that obviously is forced religion. The state really doesn't have any obligation to sell the atheist plates either, but if someone else wanted to instead, like this "outraged" douchebag, then that would be fine and they should allow that.

Where do you draw the line? (I'm not tellin' you, I'm askin' you... o/~)

If the state can issue optional plates expressing vague religious sentiment, why not truly divisive religious opinion or quoted text? Why not hateful stuff from Leviticus?

I believe that the state should stay out of religion entirely. A large part of the reason we have this whole gay marriage debacle is because the church and state are too intertwined there. If the state only recognized civil unions, for everyone, people could then separately handle their marriages or handfastings or whatever through their various belief systems. Done/done.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by inox
    Where do you draw the line? (I'm not tellin' you, I'm askin' you... o/~)

If the state can issue optional plates expressing vague religious sentiment, why not truly divisive religious opinion or quoted text? Why not hateful stuff from Leviticus?

I believe that the state should stay out of religion entirely. A large part of the reason we have this whole gay marriage debacle is because the church and state are too intertwined there. If the state only recognized civil unions, for everyone, people could then separately handle their marriages or handfastings or whatever through their various belief systems. Done/done.
    I guess an "amen" would be vaguely inappropriate here. I feel a rant coming on about how the only part of marriage the state has anything to do with is the civil union part, but I hear I have some expired vitamins to throw out.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

why cant people just let little insignificant things like this slide by.

on both sides

Who cares

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

sounds to me the guy is pissed about having to take a stand and make a choice

+ Reply to Thread