+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pirated Software

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default Pirated Software

What is your guys take on pirated software. I fugerd id post because of the argument on pirated software because somewhat different in the fact in most cases artists and programmers rights arent much of a concern (ex. independantly produced stuff which rarely gets pirated anyway because its usually dirt cheap)

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Default Re: Pirated Software

I think programmers need to feed their kids............. but I'm not coughing up cash for programs that cost more than my computer.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisagod
    I think programmers need to feed their kids............. but I'm not coughing up cash for programs that cost more than my computer.
    Well technically if you can't afford those programs...you don't need them.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Well technically if you can't afford those programs...you don't need them.

Interesting point.................. but there are programs that my school requires I use and I can't afford that I've gotten from other people.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I do agree some programs need to be MUCH lower due to their increasingly important need...like Photoshop...it's just far too high and with more KIDS learning it...it must fall short of it's $600 asking price or $300 student price.

Well my thing is most programmers for big companys get paid on salary so your not affecting them too much by stealing that stuff

Before I get sidetracked on the piracy thing, the software industry is not suffering from piracy as much as the music industry because they prepared for it and had multiple solutions. They still suffer from it, but it is not as easy to pirate photo shop as it is to copy music.

Also, there are alternatives to big name software. They are not always as good, but honestly I haven't found a feature of microsoft office that I miss in open office. On the flip side, I haven't found anything I alike as much as adobe software for free or cheap. But my point stands, there are some legal free or cheap alternatives to a lot of software people use.

Well my main thing is music production and you cant get good music recording or production stuff free or cheap there are one or two OK freeware programs but they lack many features that I require and good software retails at a least $200 and that doesnt include any plugins which half the time are essential for something you want to do. Thats probably why pirrated copies of Cubase and Fruity Loops are the easiest thing in the world to find on the net

you forgot Reason too...... well.... aren't we all pirates in some way

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    you forgot Reason too...... well.... aren't we all pirates in some way
    Oh yeah but I dont like Reason so i didnt bother trying to pirate it.

guess it's your taste btw I'm raised on FL.... all by my self blah....

Yeah I love FL because its really easy to use as for multi tracking i either go with Cubase, Sound Forge or Samplitude (and yes i have al three plus Tsunami Pro and Acid pro 4.0)

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

When Adobe charges $895 for a product, they have budget for R&D for antipiracy features. Cafe_Post_Mortem is bang on right that the software industry prepared for combatting the technology of piracy much better than other industries. It just makes sense that they would be more tech savvy of course, but I think the software industry did their PR kind of better too. People don't claim that cracking a Photoshop install is not theft. Sometimes they still do it because sometimes we all want something we can't afford or can't justify the expense of for our needs.

Some of Microsoft's antipiracy code is so hostile that it bugs me because I paid for my Microsoft products. I prefer to use Office 97 which I own legitimately. My newest computer came with a trial version of Office 2003 on it and it totally screws up my Microsoft Word 97 so the spelling library and such will not work and it won't let me use my Office 97 CD to fix the problem because it feels I have a newer version on my hard drive. That kind of irration is just a byproduct of piracy and I suspect we have only more of it to look forward to as other industries develop stronger antipiracy techniques.

The thing about people admitting to themselves that software piracy is theft is that, even though they might sometimes steal it, once they better their situation, they are more likely to spend the money to buy the software properly.

A homeless unemployed person is pretty likely to steal bread if they have the opportunity, but they are unlikely to tell themselves it is not stealing. Once they have a job and a home, they are not so likely to risk those things by stealing bread because they know that stealing bread is theft, even if they would do it under certain circumstances.

Exactly I plan on purchasing software for the stuff i want to do as soon as i can afford it but i think the companies deserve to have their stuff pirated when they charge such ridiculously high prices for it

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

Whats sad is that 800 is considered cheap for software in the business world.

Quote Originally Posted by Camby Savelle
    Whats sad is that 800 is considered cheap for software in the business world.
    well thats because usually that stuff is marketed towards businesses who can afford it or its bundled cheaply with PCs

Also apps and stuff are more expensive because people need them and are more willing to pay for stuff they think they need which is why MS stuff costs a crapload and games which are more expensive and difficult to create average at $60 or so

I think Kidthorazine is onto something with the perception of need. Really, do you need photoshop? Part of the reason photoshop is so much more expensive is because it was never intended to be in every home. It's not really designed for the average user. Amelia probably actually needs photoshop, being a photographer and all, but for quick editing of photos for the web or what have you most users could get by wuth whatever software came with thier digital camera.

Games go for a lot less than say photo editing software because they will sell a half a million copies. Half Life does a lot more volume than photoshop.

+ Reply to Thread