+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any allergies?

Mother Superior

Default Any allergies?

Are there any allergic reactions you have to items you would care to fill us in on? As for medications, I can not take sulpha based products, and Compazine. Another thing I am allergic to is feathers, which really is upsetting because I had feather pillows and a down comforter. I am also caffeine sensitive, I really can't stand having that. I like a iced tea and a frozen coffee once in a while too. It won't always hit me in a negative way , there are degrees of how sick I will get. It's a matter of if I want to play risk.

Default Re: Any allergies?

Im not sure if it is an allergic reation, but When I am in sunlight, I cant breathe or see, I feel like Im being stabbed, burned, and fried, all at the same time.

You should have been there the last time I went out in the sun, even with maximum sun block.
    Imagine this to get an idea: A Boiled Lobster, A Snake Shedding It's Skin, And A Vampire Being Out In The Sun.

Being out in the sunlight can literally kill me.

Is that an allergic type of reaction?

Mother Superior

You definitley can be allergic to the sun. The medical term is called Photophobia.I get negative reactions to the sun at times as well. Do you stay in the dark a lot in general? This may add to your sensitivity to the brightness of sunlight. When I never went out in the day, and had to go in the sun for some reason, it was very painful. I had watery eyes, headaches , just miserable side effects. You are not alone in this . I just have really good wrap around sunglasses if I have to go out in the day, sometimes it is unavoidable.

Well, even the slightest contact of sunlight burns like crazy.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Mirren
    Are there any allergic reactions you have to items you would care to fill us in on? As for medications, I can not take sulpha based products, and Compazine. Another thing I am allergic to is feathers, which really is upsetting because I had feather pillows and a down comforter. I am also caffeine sensitive, I really can't stand having that. I like a iced tea and a frozen coffee once in a while too. It won't always hit me in a negative way , there are degrees of how sick I will get. It's a matter of if I want to play risk.
    I can't take sulpha medications either. And I almost died when I had my wisdom teeth out. Couldn't even keep down water (much less painkillers) for a couple days after the anaesthesia.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    Im not sure if it is an allergic reation, but When I am in sunlight, I cant breathe or see, I feel like Im being stabbed, burned, and fried, all at the same time.

Nah that's not the sun...it's invisible demons punishing you by poking you with their lil pitchforks.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Nah that's not the sun...it's invisible demons punishing you by poking you with their lil pitchforks.
    My paternal grandmother had to wear long pants and long sleaves and gloves and a giant hat and huge extra dark prescription glasses to go golfing. And she could still burn then. Come to think of it, I don't recall her ever aging. I mean, I'm told she eventually died, but I wasn't invited to her funeral and, other than a bit of shaking she developed, she never really seemed to look older over the years.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    My paternal grandmother had to wear long pants and long sleaves and gloves and a giant hat and huge extra dark prescription glasses to go golfing. And she could still burn then. Come to think of it, I don't recall her ever aging. I mean, I'm told she eventually died, but I wasn't invited to her funeral and, other than a bit of shaking she developed, she never really seemed to look older over the years.
    Yeah I've known people with hyper sensative skin and such...it's not that uncommen it seems. A variety of reasons cause it but some of it is just the luck of the draw genetics wise. After all the #1 thing most say about healthy looking skin is to limit the amount of sun you get.

I'm Mexican myself so I can take the sun pretty good when needed and I don't burn all that easy...but I'm as pale as a ghost for the most part. Not cause I want to be...I'm just more of a night owl. So really lifestyle can have a lot to do with how ones skin reacts to things. Add in a person's mental state an it can go all over the place from there...like those who actually think they are TRUE vampires and never step foot in the light of day.

Still all this pales in comparison to the one allergy I think is the worst...people allergic to water. How fucked up is that?

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

People are actually allergic to water? Daaaaaamn.

Well I have a pretty bad allergy/sensitivity: alcohol. A third of a glass of wine will make me seriously buzzed. A whole glass will get me drunk.

vixta's Avatar rabid mutterings
    a red light district in the west midlands, uk

serious allergies to sprouts (they make me vomit) and bad pop music (i turn into a rabid psychopath)

Belladonna's Avatar Senior Member

i can't use most detergents or fabric softeners. they turn my hands into a bumpy ozzing mess of cuts. i also can't use latex.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

My whole family is allergic to penicillin. We turn blue and fall off. The only pain killer I can take with out babbling for 40 min about my childhood pets and then being violently ill for days at a time is Advil. i'm extrordinarily sensitive to sunlight. Thing is I was fine with the sun till I hit puberty. Then at band camp (or Hell Week = the week before school started where the band would start practicing marching in formation), i was out for two hrs after lunch and then, according to a nearby flute player, I looked like I was the same colour as a fire truck and passed out on the field. I spent the next 5 days in the hospital on like 6 diff IV's while dozens of Dr.s poked and prodded with every sharp implement they could find : needles, scalples, pens. I suffered 2nd degree burns. It was nasty. I also found out that same year that I'm terribly allergic to Portabello mushrooms. Ate a portobello burger at a Renaissance fair. I'll spare you the details. I'm allergic to several kinds of...err... lubricant.
    I have a friend that has allergic reactions when semen gets on her skin.
    I think thats everything...
    K

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Still all this pales in comparison to the one allergy I think is the worst...people allergic to water. How fucked up is that?
    Almost as fucked up as people allergic to Chocolate. Those poor dears. And I feel for Mirren, no coffee? Are you an elf? (according to some folk lore elves are allergic to caffiene, its supposedly incapacitating.)
    K

memorydream's Avatar Sage

That's interesting you bring this up today. For fun last night I took a slug of fake Vanilla Extract and ate some potato chips. My tongue has swelled and the inside of my mouth itches, which is a similiar reaction I have always had to Tapioca pudding.

I met someone who was allergic to most types of grasses and water. The boy in the bubble, I was reminded.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I get welts on my skin when I go down to Texas, I'm allergic to almost all the plantlife in North Texas. I also hate most Texans but not all. The sunlight issue's not a problem for me though, before I got the job I have now I was driving a school bus (hey I needed the cash) and so I'm pretty tan right now. My nephew's going to have a bitch of a time though, natural redheads don't tan nicely in sunlight, they just burn and peel and go back to being pale.

"...natural redheads don't tan nicely in sunlight, they just burn and peel and go back to being pale."

Tell me about it! The damned dominate Irish gene in me makes me pale, freckly and ginger headed. I can't even keep a spray tan! the stuff washes off in two days... or else it's absorbed into my skin like black eyeshadow...
    K

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

This is funny because my nose is running right now due to my allergies... When I was little I was allergic to almost everything and had to eat only bread and water...I got over that and had allergy shots for a few years. I'm allergic to medicines such as Penicillin, Ceclore, Codeine, Claritin, Erythromycin, and Zithromax. I'm allergic to my animals but I love them so much that doesn't matter to me!

Mother Superior

K: It's incapacitating alright.. I can't do anything when I get an overdose of caffeine. It's terrible, it shocks my system. Once in a while when I feel brave, I take some sips :P It's hereditary, I get it from my father.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirren
    K: It's incapacitating alright.. I can't do anything when I get an overdose of caffeine. It's terrible, it shocks my system. Once in a while when I feel brave, I take some sips :P It's hereditary, I get it from my father.
    HA! An Elf! I knew it! *lil happy dance* I'm really sorry to hear about that though, My early morning...err, Mid-afternoon Cappuccinos are a must for my survivial.

I'm terribly allergic to cats, in defiance, I have 2. I'm also incredibly allergic to pollen, I plan on having a garden when I grow up. Intelligent, but really kind of stupid I am.
    K

I can't handle strong caffeine- coffee or cola- but tea and (moderately) chocolate I can have..otherwise I get extremely agitated..that kicked in by my early 30s- Pedar

CeruleanFire's Avatar Senior Member

yep, allergic to work, stress, sun and yucky tasting foods :p

Quote Originally Posted by pedar
    I can't handle strong caffeine- coffee or cola- but tea and (moderately) chocolate I can have..otherwise I get extremely agitated..that kicked in by my early 30s- Pedar
    Uh oh, I wonder if I'm quicly following in such a path. did you get really sick along with the drinking of caffeinated beverages, right before you realized this?

I am not sure why, but when I eat Ham or other type of Pig based meats or products, I get really painful stomach pains. They taste good, and smell good, but I still puke or get pains in my stomach when I eat pork type food products.

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    I am not sure why, but when I eat Ham or other type of Pig based meats or products, I get really painful stomach pains. They taste good, and smell good, but I still puke or get pains in my stomach when I eat pork type food products.
    It may be the pork, it could also be the food's you are combining them with. Watch and see what else you eat when you get them pork cravings and begin to gobble up piggies. It could just be something really simple. I found that if I mix tapioca with something, I don't get as sick. Of course, at a certain point, you really don't taste Tapioca anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by memorydream
    It may be the pork, it could also be the food's you are combining them with. Watch and see what else you eat when you get them pork cravings and begin to gobble up piggies. It could just be something really simple. I found that if I mix tapioca with something, I don't get as sick. Of course, at a certain point, you really don't taste Tapioca anymore.
    I tried the imitation stuff made with Turkey, and I didnt get sick, but when I tried the real Pig type stuff, I got sick.

Most Green Vegetables also do that.

I am totally allergic to STUPID PEOPLE....The reaction is very violent...Usually it involves some involuntary slapping motion of my forearm and hand...Sometimes followed by cruel language...Again totally involuntary..

Other than that I dont believe I am allergic to anything ...

Histrionica's Avatar Hardhearted Hellion

Quote Originally Posted by -=Asmodeus=-
    I am totally allergic to STUPID PEOPLE....The reaction is very violent...Usually it involves some involuntary slapping motion of my forearm and hand...Sometimes followed by cruel language...Again totally involuntary..

Other than that I dont believe I am allergic to anything ...
    Yes, and as with any allergy, the more exposure i get the more intense the allergy becomes. I feel your pain, my friend.

~Histrionica~

+ Reply to Thread