+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Iowa Results... Who's hooked?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Iowa Results... Who's hooked?

Who's glued to the TV and/or blogs about the results of the Iowa caucuses? Interesting that they got nearly double the turnout this time around.

Default Re: Iowa Results... Who's hooked?

"Our Liberties We Prize and Our Rights We Will Maintain"

I can certainly get behind that sentiment.

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

good. and right on to that slogan.... but i cant get past the propoganda aspect. i feel like a sucker no matter who i support.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I'm thrilled with the results. not just the guys the came in first but the fact that the voter turn out was 89% higher than the turn out in '04. Its refreshing to see not only a tidal wave of young blood getting involved but that the jaded "what good will my one vote do?" apathy is finally wearing off. It's sad that things had to get to the deplorable state that they're in but it really feels good to see the people exercising their right to vote and change things.

~K

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

If voting changed anything, it would be illegal.

raise your hand if you want rich white guys telling you what to do. Or maybe go to Iowa, where some people are going out on a limb and instead raising it to have a rich black guy or rich white woman tell them what to do.

sorry, if I'm being too cynical. I'd be happy to settle for at least even a sham election where we had some real choices.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the next year. I'm sick of politics being rammed down my throat allready. I'm voting 3rd party from now on anyways, this current system is a fucking joke.

I wonder how craven and power hungry the people must be who want to be president. Especially with the mess that shit head Bush has got us into.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

There is an old saying. Those that want to be leaders, should never be allowed to be leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    There is an old saying. Those that want to be leaders, should never be allowed to be leaders.
    Who says that?

*reads above posts*

huh, guess i spoke too soon about the jaded apathy becoming determination and hope....

~K

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    *reads above posts*

huh, guess i spoke too soon about the jaded apathy becoming determination and hope....

~K

Seriously.

theUnclean's Avatar former corporate whore

wtf! We need some good leaders and major changes in this fkn country! I'm fkn excited as hell the that Obama won, and soundly kicked ass to boot.

While the turnout for dems nearly doubled, the republics barely increased their total at all. I think that is the most telling of all.

Hill came in 3rd, and I'm glad! We don't need an Oligarchy, fuk all the family politics. Especially considering the treacherous, positioning, poisoning, pandering bitch that she is; guess I shouldn't hold back

*hugs theUnclean* That's more like it.

~KL

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I'm interested but I don't have a damn clue how US politics works

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    I'm interested but I don't have a damn clue how US politics works
    its a popularity contest. the guy with the highest CHA roll wins. but there are several rounds. the caucuses where no one wins and no one looses but everyone is competing to be part of the official team. as many independent teams as there are the major players are the red team and the blue team. the top competitors from the preliminaries go into a sudden death to pick just one guy to represent each team. this guy picks a partner to back him up and come November at the Olympics of the popularity contest, each team plays for real. the winner gets signed in on the 20th of January of the next year and has the privilege of taking the blame or getting all the credit for the next four years.

~K

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    Who says that?
    I believe it was Douglas Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    its a popularity contest. the guy with the highest CHA roll wins. but there are several rounds. the caucuses where no one wins and no one looses but everyone is competing to be part of the official team. as many independent teams as there are the major players are the red team and the blue team. the top competitors from the preliminaries go into a sudden death to pick just one guy to represent each team. this guy picks a partner to back him up and come November at the Olympics of the popularity contest, each team plays for real. the winner gets signed in on the 20th of January of the next year and has the privilege of taking the blame or getting all the credit for the next four years.

~K
    hmmmm kinda sounds like a mess

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    hmmmm kinda sounds like a mess

indeed it is, fraught with lots of name calling mud slinging, promises made to be broken, lots and lots of money spent lots of babies kissed, lots of speeches and background checks. entertaining for a while but it eventually jumps the shark.

though this latest installment is like a re imagining of what it once was. kinda liek the new dr who. alot of the issues are the same, the guys is still called mr president even though this is like his 48th incarnation and the 60th season (or something)

~K

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

anything is gonna be better than what it is, of course I'll vote. I really don't care as long as we get one of the democratic nominees in. I like Obama, i'd love to see one of the other nominees be his vice-pres though.

Quote Originally Posted by theUnclean
    wtf! We need some good leaders and major changes in this fkn country! I'm fkn excited as hell the that Obama won, and soundly kicked ass to boot.

While the turnout for dems nearly doubled, the republics barely increased their total at all. I think that is the most telling of all.

Hill came in 3rd, and I'm glad! We don't need an Oligarchy, fuk all the family politics. Especially considering the treacherous, positioning, poisoning, pandering bitch that she is; guess I shouldn't hold back

Hil is dangerous. And it's good to see the people see it. There was more to Whitewater than you know.

I was glad to see the results in Iowa, as well. Hil is dangerous. There was more to Whitewater than you know. I feel we have real choices this time.

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

i think the quote BSD was after is "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves into a position of power should on no account be allowed to do the job" from Douglas Adams. anthoer couple of nice ones:
    "If you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln
    "How fortunate for leaders that men do not think."
    ~ Adolf Hitler

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

I believe it was Douglas Adams.
    i dont know if it was him to said that exact quote, but it was actually Plato who made that statement

where where you in florida 2000?

I guess counting "enough" votes is good "enough" democracy?

and since then nearly everyplace has switched to electronic voting machines where it only shows the results and the records cannot be made public because they are run by private lobbeys.

information is apathy. truth is obediance. peace is war. freedom is slavery.

*breaks in to a loud rendition of "Faith" with her fingers in her ears*

~K

george micheal for president!

truth be told, I will be happier without a repub in office.

I actually do like obama, and I'd probably vote for him, but I accidently sent my voter registration to the office for sex offender registration.

saw the simpsons and it all makes sense now

yay ralph wiggum

as long as it's not a repub or hillary and it's obama i'll be happy.

~K

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

i hate how polit compaigns over here are all just smear-programs. its not about "what i will do", its about "what he has done." a while back one of our high-level pollies was smeared for once going to a strip bar.

we're talking about a red-blooded, aussie male.
    going to a strip bar for a few drinks and harmless nudity.
    once.

fuck, and odds are he was a freakin teenager at the time. thats like being upset over 18 year olds drinking! (18 being the legal age in our generally inebriated country)

Did anyone see the Hil today?! LOL, at one moment she cries about how hard it is to campaign and then an interview has her saying that if you don't vote for her the terrorists are coming! OMFG, that manipulative bitch has no idea how sad and funny she is making herself look. And most pundits were worried about Bill fukn things up

there's a lot of talk of Hills being forced out of the race. even Edwards is talking about the only reason he's still in the race to take enough votes away from the malicious manipulative she-beast. all the polls have Obama 10-12% ahead of her. the revolution has come at last.

~K

I'm hooked

although I prefer the proper way we do things up here

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Hillary's too damaged politically.

Looks like it'll be Obama versus???

Giuliani? Cross dressing dude who's a one-note wonder. 9/11 9/11 9/11 ah fuck off we've heard it.

Huckabee? Mr. "Abortions, never?" Who believes we've been visited by UFOs? Yeah, uh, sure.

Ron Paul? Yeah, like anyone will vote for someone who'll ban abortion and close every government program including food inspection and schools.

i'm hoping for Obama v Huckabee for no other reason than because Huckabee is suck a whack job he's totally unelectable.

hehehe hill's anti MLK speech tonight with allusions to assassination of Obama pretty much just did her whole campaign in. even bill said he can do alot of things for his wife but he van't make her younger taller and male.

there's rumors that after hills drops out, Edwards will drop out too so that he can run WITH Obama when we start playing for keeps.

~K

I think it's jumping the gun to call this a sweep. since day one it's been back and forth, don't be surprised if the polls change next week.

Heartening news: not a single rally doesn't have an overflow room. there is such a large voter turn out in NH that they RAN OUT OF BALLOTS earlier and more had to be rush printed.

Speaking of Rush, ol' Limbaugh was quick to point out one of Hill's quotes from this week. "Obama hasn't done enough spade work to be president." Now we all know what she meant, however! She stuttered and stammered around it like she knew the slur she was inferring. All I can think is there's a speech writer sitting in the wings laughing and making bets that he can get hills to use the N-word before this is over.

and then there's this. its not as awesome as it could have been, what with it being one lone whack job. but her catty man hating retort is choice. also it might just be me but at the end of the clip, after every one applauds, i swear the one dark haired guy goes out to shake the guy's hand.

~K

BookOfFaeye's Avatar Book Of Faeye

Its not that I dont care really it isnt but dear god it is putting me to sleep. I guess Osama hahahhahaha I mean Obama is ok, I hate HIllary with a passion, and the others I dont really know much about. I just saw a tib bit about McCain on TV and they made him sound like a God.... that was funny. He's apolitician. Paint it anyway you want, not one of them is really out for OUR welfare.

I dont know for sure what I want out of our next president. I just know I dont want it to be Hillary. Obama gets so much more press than the other candidates its really not a fair election as far as I am concerned. The guy who gets the most ads becomes the most popular and that is really only an indication the guy knows how to waste money. So I am on the fence most of the time about politicians. That and they say whatever they have to say to get elected. Honesty is NOT a laywers string suit. Winning is. That does not bode well for the US.

Press coverage has been back and forth to Hill and Obama. For the longest time, it was all about Hill, not that momentum is on his side, Obama gets the light. Such is the way of mass media, pandering, followers.
    Clean Sweep! Oh fuk no! Screw the polls, let talk actual primary's here. Yes, Obama is on a roll, and Hill is slumping. But don't expect that to be the case everywhere. There a shit load of delegates to be won or loss.
    The spade comment...whoa! I missed that, but am I surprised. Nope, not a single fkn bit. Hill is a manipulator and she is bound to slip. she and god ol' Bill have been using black votes for a long time, who knows what she thinks.
    Remember the 1st debate, She said "I think a person running for president shouldn't say everything they're thinking".

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Barack Obama started his 2nd place speech by congratulating Clinton and calling for a round of applause for her. That is something called CLASS.

it's politics

+ Reply to Thread