+ Reply to Thread

Thread: California Vote on 6/3?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default California Vote on 6/3?

Just got this bulletin. I was not aware of a vote in Cali on 6/3. Have no position on either proposition as yet. Both may have a significant impact on the state. People may want to check this out if they currently reside in Cali. - OEC

Bulletin from 45 Grave (yeah the band) follows verbatim:

Californians, rent control is under attack
    Body: This is a repost! Please repost!
    NO ON 98 !!!!!!!!!!!

When you head to the polls on June 3rd we're asking you to do two things:

1. Vote NO on Proposition 98.

2. Vote YES on Proposition 99.

By voting no, you will help fight global warming pollution and protect endangered species, water quality and habitat.

What's more, *since Prop 98 will eliminate rent control in California,* you have the opportunity to protect renters' rights, particularly those of lower-income tenants.

Under the guise of property rights protection, a coalition of wealthy mobile home park landlords placed Proposition 98 on the ballot.

If passed, Proposition 98 would:

* Undermine groundbreaking climate policies in California.

* Impede virtually all environmental efforts including habitat conservation, smart growth planning and water and air quality improvement.

* Eliminate rent control along with other tenant protections.

Together with other environmental groups and local governments, Environmental Defense Fund is supporting Prop 99. It protects private property owners from having their property seized for development. Prop 99 preserves a vital property right without compromising the environment.

Your vote counts. Help protect the environment and renters' rights on June 3rd.

Oppose Prop 98.

Support Prop 99.

Tell your California family, friends and colleagues to do the same! Learn more about why you should vote no on Prop 98 and yes on Prop 99.

Thanks in advance,

The California Team at Environmental Defense Fund

P.S.

Today is the last day you can register to vote before June 3rd!

Default Re: California Vote on 6/3?

From what I have read both 98 and 99 look bad to me. Neither one seems to significantly increase the protections for the common man.

98 phases out rent control in one of the most expensive states to live in, 99 blocks future reforms (as much as it can) which always makes me nervous.

I think I will be voting no on both.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    From what I have read both 98 and 99 look bad to me. Neither one seems to significantly increase the protections for the common man.

98 phases out rent control in one of the most expensive states to live in, 99 blocks future reforms (as much as it can) which always makes me nervous.

I think I will be voting no on both.
    Yeah. You should definitely be skeptical of 99 type propositions. In '06, they tried to sneak by an eminent domain gift to developers by calling it protection. 98 would be a no for me. I find it dubious the issue arise on the state level even.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    Yeah. You should definitely be skeptical of 99 type propositions. In '06, they tried to sneak by an eminent domain gift to developers by calling it protection. 98 would be a no for me. I find it dubious the issue arise on the state level even.

OEC
    California could use some ED reform, but it is one of the few states that does offer some protection to renters.

I hope everything works out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    California could use some ED reform, but it is one of the few states that does offer some protection to renters.
    98 is the rent control one. 99 is just kind of convoluted.

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedKhaos
    I hope everything works out!!!
    I'm mostly just hoping they don't overturn the marriage ruling in November. I don't see either of these passing.

+ Reply to Thread