+ Reply to Thread

Thread: this is what the British think of us

and your little dog too

Default this is what the British think of us

from yahoo

LONDON (Reuters) - Doughnut-chomping, beer-guzzling Homer Simpson may not be the model father but he has won the hearts of British TV fans who want the nuclear power plant worker to be the next U.S. president.

Former president George Bush (news - web sites) notoriously said American families should be "closer to the Waltons than the Simpsons" but Homer was overwhelming favorite in a Radio Times magazine poll on which U.S. TV character should take over at the White House.

As Americans ponder tax and security pledges from President Bush (news - web sites) and Democratic rival John Kerry (news - web sites) ahead of the November 2 poll, television fans have been considering Homer slogans such as "No big government, just big waist sizes."

In a manifesto compiled for the magazine by The Simpsons' writing staff, the bumbling animated TV hero also pledges: "I promise there will be fewer nuclear disasters with me as your mayor than with me as your nuclear safety inspector."

Homer got 24 percent of the vote in the poll of more than 2,000 readers. Second place went to the more obvious choice of Josiah Bartlet, the president played by Martin Sheen in "The West Wing."

Pompous but eloquent radio psychiatrist Dr. Frasier Crane was third followed by Sergeant Bilko from "The Phil Silvers Show." Gil Grissom from "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" was fifth with 10 percent of the vote. Other favorites were Jack Bauer from "24," "The Cosby Show's" Dr. Cliff Huxtable, Phoebe Buffay from "Friends" and "The Sporanos'" Tony Soprano.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: this is what the British think of us

Given the types of media we are pumping out to the rest of the world, it is hardly surprising.

OEC

All that aside, I HATE the Waltons!

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Maybe they should watch less TV...cause if they think our TV is WHO we are...then they and the rest of the world is very misguided.

TV is for entertainment first...reality...is not even an option there.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    All that aside, I HATE the Waltons!
    I like em...they talk, have dinner together, seem to actually LIKE each other...ya feel the love.

Over-idealized? Yeah...possible? Totally...to a degree anyhow. They are really no diffrent than any other TV family once you break it down...they just have less comedic moments...but if I remember correctly it took place during the 1930's...so how much comedy could their really be?

Quality stuff...very very big gamble to make that kinda show in the 70's...lasted quite a bit too...close to a decade if I remember.

I always thought it the calm before the storm that would be WW2.

Everybody should be allowed their opinions.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    Everybody should be allowed their opinions.
    True...but if they don't back up their opinions with some sort of explenation...then they are fucking idiots who take up space.

It's like asking "What kind of food do you like?" and saying "I like Italian!"...that's all well and good but to not say WHY you like it so much...makes things sorta bland. It contributes nothing and really says nothing.

Simply takes up space.

The main reason I dislike the show is because I find it depressing for some reason.
    If I watched the show now though, I might have a different opinion of the show, but I am remembering it from years ago.

As for the food I like: I like the kind you can eat. :P

Tequila Zaire, I hate to piss on your parade, but the poll was for which U.S. TV character should take over the White House, so the options are rather limited to a choice of....wait for it...U.S. TV characters. Thus we don't think TV is WHO you are...that was just the parameters of the poll...*Ben Affleck voice* Fictional characters...Am I getting through to you at all?

If your own TV Guide were to run a poll that suggested that Americans think David Brent or Basil Fawlty should take over at Number 10...well, it would be just a bit of fun. We wouldn't take it as some kind of cultural slur. Perhaps you said it best yourself...reality is not even an option here.

Personally, I'd be more worried if I were you about the impression America gives of itself through Jerry Springer and Maury Povich's shows....I know I wouldn't want anyone from outside of the UK basing their opinion of us on what they'd just seen on Trisha *shudder*

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah, they got that funny guy, jack benny. hahaha, brits. don't you love em?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic Vampire
    Tequila Zaire, I hate to piss on your parade, but the poll was for which U.S. TV character should take over the White House, so the options are rather limited to a choice of....wait for it...U.S. TV characters. Thus we don't think TV is WHO you are...that was just the parameters of the poll...*Ben Affleck voice* Fictional characters...Am I getting through to you at all?

If your own TV Guide were to run a poll that suggested that Americans think David Brent or Basil Fawlty should take over at Number 10...well, it would be just a bit of fun. We wouldn't take it as some kind of cultural slur. Perhaps you said it best yourself...reality is not even an option here.

Personally, I'd be more worried if I were you about the impression America gives of itself through Jerry Springer and Maury Povich's shows....I know I wouldn't want anyone from outside of the UK basing their opinion of us on what they'd just seen on Trisha *shudder*
    Well said but my comment was more to do with the title of the thread not so much the poll itself. As far as it being a cultural slur...never really saw it that way...it's a TV poll.

That said though their is some truth to other nations basing their views on a society by their entertainment and TV. I think we've all heard the insane mutterings of people saying "All the states like is violence on TV!"...when oddly enough the most violent films these days are sadly not made in the states anymore...Japan took the crown in the last decade.

Do I think those across the pond see us as we're portrayed on TV? Not really...but in commenting on the title of the thread...it'd be a damned shame. Though personally I've always seen more similar tastes in terms of Entertainment than any real diffrences...many brit shows are brought over (some retooled to the hatred and screams of all) and do quite well...BBC America has proved quite the hit for cable carriers.

Side note...is there a way to export MORE American actors across the pond? Cause while we're all thankful you're keeping assorted celebs caged up we have a surplus that needs good homes...like the above mentioned Ben Affleck...take him...PLEASE!!!! We'll even throw in his buddy Matt...and Kevin Smith...AND you guys can have New Jersey back. It's a sweeeeeeeeeeet deal.

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

urm yeah we were talking about this in media studies the other day actually we came to the conclusion that the STEROTYPICAL american is seen as being obese and mellodramatic and that the Germans are obsesively neat and orderly, and that all aslym seekers are suicide bombers who are just here to steal benefits
    which is why we where discussing why streotyping is bad, but we all use it and like to see it on the TV!!
    so whats the british streotype over there?

Maybe we could set up some sort of trade....having pissed off every journalist in the country in the space of about two weeks, I think it's a safe bet that Jude Law will be relocating Stateside in the not too distant future.

Hmmm...y'know I haven't seen 'Jersey Girl' yet...is it as bad as everyone reckons? It's just that I seem to recall Kevin Smith said that 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back' would be the last outing for those characters and the whole 'Jerseyverse' they inhabit (hence Alanis Morrissette literally and figuratively 'closing the book' on the whole thing after the credits on JASBSB), but now I hear he's planning to do 'Clerks 2' . Speaks volumes....

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

I bet that, were you to put Homer Simpsons name on an election voting form, he'd get a mass of the votes coming his way. Perhaps not because people are serious, perhaps as a form of protest vote, but he would be in there with a chance.

And, yes, the Europeans do see many Americans as joke figures. Imagine what the eastern countries consider of the USA and its people and be grateful!

yeah, one time my freind's dad voted for Bozo the clown. the election was like the last one with two A-holes that weren't too great, it was like dick nixon and some other jerk, so someone got all the petitions signed and got Bozo as a candidate on the ballot in my state.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale

And, yes, the Europeans do see many Americans as joke figures. Imagine what the eastern countries consider of the USA and its people and be grateful!
    The sad irony is that it goes both ways. No love between the two sides that seem to enjoy hating each other while the rest could either care less or simply never bother to think it up.

Once you start down the path where you start wondering what other nations entire populations think of your country you not only waste time but go quite made since...

A. Since those who voice such inane bullshit have no plans to move to said nation they trash...pretty good chance they won't see it in a good light...mainly to reafirm that where they live and breed is the best place to be. Normal reaction...

B. They'll probably never visit the nations they trash so it's best to think they suck so as not to feel one has missed out.

I hear many in Europe say American's should travel abroad more. Let me clue you in on a lil reality I like to call..."It's Fucking Expensive". If you're IN Europe heading around the place is alot cheaper...hell you can drive around the place seeing diffrent countries, people, historic places, hear assorted languages, see the lands fought over more times than anyone really cares to count...etc. A week of driving around will take you to many amazing and wonderful destinations.

In the U.S. a week of driving around will take you...to many amazing and beautful places...that are still within the borders of the country you live in. It may not be as "cultural" as Europeans my judge but it's the reality of the geographical situation. It's one of the rare instances where coast to coast...for hundreds of friggin miles...you end up in the same country. Maine to Texas...L.A. to Miami...New York to Portland....Chicago to some hole in the wall no one knew was on a map. It's a big friggin place that a lifetime could be spend driving around...much cheaper as well for an American to travel on their own continent. A trip abroad is a major trip...something that takes serious planning nad cash for the average fella. On average maybe once in their lifetime an average american citizen will head to Europe...mainly for cost and the simple fact they are not tied to it or feel particularly close to it...it's very much a vacation destination above all else unless one has family there. And with that mentality other places tend to steal the vacation dollar and it is usually places in the U.S. since it's sometimes more ecenomic but at the same time more inviting.

Do I want to go to Germany....yup...but if has to choose between Germany and New York City...NYC wins out. As much cultural background as Germany has in terms of sheer history alone...a place like NYC seems more inviting...as odd as that may sound.

This kinda mind set does keep many from traveling abroad in a way they should. It'd probably benefit the world if more americans took the time to go around the globe instead of letting out TV do if for us...but Europe forgets that the U.S. is primarily made up of people kicked out of European countries even when those same souls returned to bleed and die on it's various soils. It's just not an inviting place in the eyes of many...and it has nothing to do with the current political climate. It's the old argument of The Old World seeing itself as better thant he New World and vice versa...so what happens?

We go to Asia! The True Melting Pot of the world...check out a Thai bar on any giuven night and you;ll see people from around the world...both sides of the pond need to be more liek Asia...inviting to one another.

Lets face it though...EVERY nation needs to stop looking at the world in terms of vacation spots...cause it's doing us no good. You've never BEEN to a country if all you've hit are the vacation destinations...

Weblogger

I wouldn't necessarily say that Americans ought to travel more, I appreciate how much it costs and I'm also aware that, in the US, those living below the poverty line increased by 14% last year. But an openness to the outside world and, perhaps, a little bit more of an understanding of why the Middle Eastern countries, with their own history, culture and political background, don't necessarily have the same values as the average American and don't want them either.

With channels like the Discovery Channel you don't necessarily need to leave your own home in order to learn, but it is as much about the opening of the mind (throughout the world) to the divergence of cultures as the actual getting out and seeing those cultures.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I'm still waiting for the loitering channel before I can form opinions of the world based on what I see on TV

Hula Hoop Supervisor

With channels like the Discovery Channel you don't necessarily need to leave your own home in order to learn, but it is as much about the opening of the mind (throughout the world) to the divergence of cultures as the actual getting out and seeing those cultures.
    I love those channels and all...but do you really want a society educated by the TV?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I wouldn't necessarily say that Americans ought to travel more, I appreciate how much it costs and I'm also aware that, in the US, those living below the poverty line increased by 14% last year. But an openness to the outside world and, perhaps, a little bit more of an understanding of why the Middle Eastern countries, with their own history, culture and political background, don't necessarily have the same values as the average American and don't want them either.

I definitely could not recommend Americans travel to the Middle East at this point in history. I think there should be more college courses that cover this subject here, however.

TV is not the way to go. People in America have within their own country diasporas of foreign nations which maintain the culture of the "old country". I belong, to some extent, to the Ukrainian diaspora in the United States. I think a lot of them would welcome interest by americans in their culture. So, no need to travel or for tv. I know a lot of muslims are doing outreach programs at local mosques here in the US.

OEC

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    TV is not the way to go. People in America have within their own country diasporas of foreign nations which maintain the culture of the "old country". [b]I belong, to some extent, to the Ukrainian diaspora in the United States. I think a lot of them would welcome interest by americans in their culture. So, no need to travel or for tv. I know a lot of muslims are doing outreach programs at local mosques here in the US.[/b]

OEC
    It would have been nice had they done this pre- 9/11 though. They stuck to close to their own community without really pushing it that they are part of the U.S. for good or ill...not that I personally blame them much given the fact their home nations would probably look down upon such open embraces of the west...but in THIS respect they need to push a bit like American Christianity in the sense that they define themselves much more than they allow the Vatican too (female priests being a big issue is seperation.)

It's a great attempt but in some eyes it's too little and far too late.

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    I love those channels and all...but do you really want a society educated by the TV?
    For some people there is nothing outside of their tv or their video games. I'm glad not to own one, but I see how some people need their's.

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    I definitely could not recommend Americans travel to the Middle East at this point in history. I think there should be more college courses that cover this subject here, however.

TV is not the way to go. People in America have within their own country diasporas of foreign nations which maintain the culture of the "old country". I belong, to some extent, to the Ukrainian diaspora in the United States. I think a lot of them would welcome interest by americans in their culture. So, no need to travel or for tv. I know a lot of muslims are doing outreach programs at local mosques here in the US.
    Cleaning up your quotes!

College courses are not the best way to go unless there is actual back up in the form of exchanges and similar. Otherwise they will be rather one-sided. The Catholic Church, for example, officially only recognises Catholic indoctrinates as teachers of the Catholic religion and expects them to follow an exact line of teaching. The same could happen in other areas with personal prejudice. Didn't we just have a school thread of political bias?

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    It would have been nice had they done this pre- 9/11 though. They stuck to close to their own community without really pushing it that they are part of the U.S. for good or ill...not that I personally blame them much given the fact their home nations would probably look down upon such open embraces of the west...but in THIS respect they need to push a bit like American Christianity in the sense that they define themselves much more than they allow the Vatican too (female priests being a big issue is seperation.)

It's a great attempt but in some eyes it's too little and far too late.
    It's the same in every part of life, though; specific groups will not push themselves too far to the front unless they feel threatened or need to defend themselves against prejudice. Many believe that everything is running fine until something goes wrong and they have to change their opinions. It's rather like trying to get a traffic ordnance changed; nothing happens until someone dies.

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    I'm still waiting for the loitering channel before I can form opinions of the world based on what I see on TV
    They had it planned, but the camera crew are still hanging around on the other street corner.

I think it's perhaps because there are a lot less idle muslims, so to speak. it seems to me most people who are in it are actually devoted to the faith, instead of so many here that call themselves christians, go to church one daye a year, and don't bother to read the bible or follow it, but instead put a fish on thier car and like to think that they are getting salvation based on the dogmatic loophole that if you accept jesus, your saved, and then you can go on to ignore everything else that means you're a good person.

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

if you watch american tv shows, they uses stereotypes constantly of other countrys so what goes around comes around.

Sceptic_Messiah's Avatar Senior Member

Basil Fawlty would make a great prime minister .......anyway every county has a stereotype...the UK, America, France, Germany, Japan So other people from different cultures and background who sit on there backsides and read the radio times all the time and actually write in to vote, see these stereotypes and believe them.

One true stereotype about british people is once they've been told something or been brought up someway they wont believe any other culture or wont accept any other way of life except their own and will strive to hurt anybody who doesnt believe in their way of life. So if they watch the simpsons or futerama or a kevin smith film then they'll believe thats how an american is and should be and struggle to accept someone from america if they see them because they believe they are stupid beer swigging, potato chip munching, red necked thick bastards when they arnt (95% of the time) and the same goes for you guys over the pond who see us as stuck up, upper class brandy drinking arseholes ................

anyway i think my point is dont believe everything you see on TV or what you read on the internet

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptic_Messiah
    the same goes for you guys over the pond who see us as stuck up, upper class brandy drinking arseholes ................

anyway i think my point is dont believe everything you see on TV or what you read on the internet
    Benny Hill killed that image for me...God Bless Him.

+ Reply to Thread