+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tattoo's and the meaning behind them.

DARKGYM's Avatar King of the night

Default Tattoo's and the meaning behind them.

If you had a very close friend who passed on would you get a tattoo that captures their character and personality?

Also I believe that your tatts are for yourself, do you have any meanings behind your ink or did you get it because you liked the design/theme/et.?

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Tattoo's and the meaning behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by DARKGYM
    If you had a very close friend who passed on would you get a tattoo that captures their character and personality?
    yes, definetly.

Also I believe that your tatts are for yourself, do you have any meanings behind your ink or did you get it because you liked the design/theme/et.?
    For me, the answer is both. I've designed tribal designs and had them put on me...some people hate on them b/c tribal work supposedly has no deep meaning. I think that's bullshit...anytime you design, decorate yourself of your own choosing it's cool. For me, the design in and of itself can be the meaning.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

i totally would get a tattoo for a friend or relative.
    and im gonna end up designing almost all of my tattoos anyways i dont think i would want my tattoo on somebody else, unless they were a really really good friend
    actually... thats probly gonna end up happening... a friend of mine is getting a tattoo of a raven that i designed, and ill most likely get the same tattoo, just because hes my best friend itll be awesome!

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I personally want a tattoo of my old dog, a samoyed that passed away a while ago. She was a big part of my life, and I wouldn't have met my wife without her.

As for tattoos having meanings, my first one was a design that I liked that turned out to be the symbol of my favourite White Wolf Werewolf tribe. (Can you guess what it is?) I also have one that is the symbol of a vampiric werewolf from the same game. And finally I have a wolf paw on my shoulder.

I would like more, but I need the money and the time.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

It seems that there are two camps of tattoo people. Ones who get tattoos of things in their life, and ones that get them for artistic decoration. The ones who get tattoos of things in their life, will get the "Semper Fi" tattoos, "Mom" tattoos, Band name tattoos, tattoos of things they like, favorite cartoon characters, things they enjoy, etc... So their tattoos become a history of the things in life they cared about and enjoy. Then there are the people who get them as a way of accenting their own body. That is where the more abstract shapes, and tribal designs come more into play. I prefer those styles, because my tastes change. Back when I was young, I probably would have gotten a Metallica tattoo. But I didn't. Now, after the whole bullshit with Napster, etc, I would probably be embarassed by it today. So despite the fact that tattoos can be a history of your interests, I think sometimes it can become a reminder of your stupidity. So I prefer stuff that is not defined by time, or interests, but is something you like, that fits you body, and you like the design...

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    It seems that there are two camps of tattoo people. Ones who get tattoos of things in their life, and ones that get them for artistic decoration. The ones who get tattoos of things in their life, will get the "Semper Fi" tattoos, "Mom" tattoos, Band name tattoos, tattoos of things they like, favorite cartoon characters, things they enjoy, etc... So their tattoos become a history of the things in life they cared about and enjoy. Then there are the people who get them as a way of accenting their own body. That is where the more abstract shapes, and tribal designs come more into play. I prefer those styles, because my tastes change. Back when I was young, I probably would have gotten a Metallica tattoo. But I didn't. Now, after the whole bullshit with Napster, etc, I would probably be embarassed by it today. So despite the fact that tattoos can be a history of your interests, I think sometimes it can become a reminder of your stupidity. So I prefer stuff that is not defined by time, or interests, but is something you like, that fits you body, and you like the design...

well said!

btw, this is my next piece... a large back piece of Hanibal Barca, the Carthaginian general, crossing the alps with his army of battle elephants to kick the shit out of the Romans. He ultimately lost, but was an uber bad-ass.

http://www.barca.fsnet.co.uk/Graphic...hants-alps.jpg

Several people I know, have had portraits tatted onto them, as a reminder of people they have lost, parents, siblings and childeren. Im not likely to get a tatt that is so long in the process of getting stabbed millions of times a portrait has got to take in making, but a basic tribal design of something I like is forseeable.

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

my first tattoos, my stars, i got cause i liked em and thought they were cute.... everything else has meaning to me, but in a broad sense, like my good/ evil swallows. my next one's gonna be the latin words for "know yourself", i can't wait!

First and foremost the ink you get done is for you and you alone. My descision was made up before this thread and I am still going to get this tatt done. Probably this weekend (25 march) I thank you all for your input, but I would still like to hear from others that haven't replied yet.

Quote Originally Posted by the_darkness_calls
    my first tattoos, my stars, i got cause i liked em and thought they were cute.... everything else has meaning to me, but in a broad sense, like my good/ evil swallows. my next one's gonna be the latin words for "know yourself", i can't wait!
    Another good one "memento mori" (remember life) We are all mortal and should make the most out of what's given us.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Quote Originally Posted by the_darkness_calls
    maybe you should get that in greek? I mean if you just like latin, that's cool. but if the phrase has any meaning to you on a spritual/philosophical level, it makes more sense to me to have it in the expression that it's wide spread usage is atributed to.

GraveMyst's Avatar Junior Member

~Yes I would get a tattoo that captures their personality and character.

~My first tatt said "back in black", it was done by hand with a threaded needle & india ink. I didn't get it because of AC/DC, I got it because I Love black and I love wearing black clothing. A few years ago I was going to get it covered with something else, but I decided against it as it reminds me of my teenage years and friends that I miss, so I am just going to get it redone. When it was done it was a shoddy job.
    ~My second tatt is a small tear drop that was suppose to be a small heart on my inner ankle, but because of the area I chose and because I was doing it by hand again I didn't finish it, so it looks like a tear drop. While it had no meaning at the time, it now reminds me of loved ones that are gone.
    ~My third tatt I originally got just because I liked the fantasy seadragon. The lady that done the tatt was a friend and now she's gone. I'll always have that tatt to remind me of her, especially since she liked dragons too.
    ~The fourth tatt I got is a red, white and blue rose with a green stem. At the time I got it the colors of the rose were my kids favorite colors (though the boys have since changed their favorite colors) and the color green has always been my number one favorite color.
    ~The fifth tatt I have is a green stem with three leaves, inside each of the leaves are my kids initials.

~ I plan on getting a tatt in memory of my dad, one that reminds me of my boyfriend and a few others, just because I like them.

~I think that tattoos tell a story about us and our lives in some way.

~I used to have a tattoo on my left forearm that said "Trev", but I had it removed because when I got it I was young and dumb about love. I'll never again get another tattoo of a guys name.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

not a person's face, never
    I have a small one and yeah it does have a lot of meaning

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    maybe you should get that in greek? I mean if you just like latin, that's cool. but if the phrase has any meaning to you on a spritual/philosophical level, it makes more sense to me to have it in the expression that it's wide spread usage is atributed to.
    hrm, interesting.... i'm pretty set on latin, but i shall def research the greek thing. thanks!

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

my tattoo means i was dumb enough to let her force me into getting it. the tattooist refused to put it on the palm of my hand.

I actually considered getting a tatoo in memory of my dad, but then i thought it would be weird for some one I'm fucking to look down and see my dad's name or what have you. I think tatoos are for you personally. I couldn't decide between a 50s style rocket and a cat, so my artist drew a cat on a rocket. It was really cute, so I got it. Right afterwards, another artist turned around and said, "Yeah, now you can tell people you're pussy is out of this world!" I hadn't thought of that!!!!

Chaotika's Avatar Fetish Bunny

It is possible, but it depends on who it was.. I rarely get that close to anyone. My first tattoo, the spider on my hip, is actually in memory of a pet black widow I had as a teenager... and the "Mister Wrong" tattoo with Drinky Crow blowing his head off that's on my ankle... eh... that's about a bad relationship

All my tattoos have meaning to them Why get a tattoo with no meaning/just to look cool? That's against the rules!

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I was at the grocery store tonight and was completely insluted by the over saturation of tv pop culture references mucking up my ancient religious symbols. I have a Triquetra, or I should say we have as our wedding ring tattoos the triquetra. Most people identify it as Zoso from Led Zepplin. But tonight the lady at the checkout looked at my wrist as I handed her cash and said "Oh, Charmed." When I very forcibly gave her a quick history and religious lesson about the Catholic Trinity Symbol for the father Son and Holy Ghost, THe Celtic Knot representing Birth, Life and Death and the protection mark of the Norse Father God Odin. I walked away spitting bitter words about how vapid wanna be wiccans are raping my heritage with their quest to be popular.

But yeah, that's my tattoo and its meaning. The symbol of existance, eternity, faith and protection and my wedding ring all rolled up in one simple three lined triangel.

K

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

mine's my name in Hebrew. when I get back to the states I might a tattoo of Marion (the symbol of France) and the seal for the city I've been living in. you know to have a nice memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotika
    All my tattoos have meaning to them Why get a tattoo with no meaning/just to look cool? That's against the rules!
    I totally agree. I find it surprising the amount of people I meet when the subject turns as to why they got a tattoo their reply is "I don't know, I just thought it looked cool" or something along those lines.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't know.. I met a guy that had been tatooing for 30 years and all of his were just "cuz they look cool". are you really going to tell that guy that he's full of shit?

As I've always said your work is for yourself only. If you want to cover your entire body just because you think it looks cool go ahead. Myself I wouldn't get a tattoo just because it looks cool or I saw a design and got it on impulse.

spacegirl's Avatar Junior Member

Another good one "memento mori" (remember life) We are all mortal and should make the most out of what's given us.
    My ex actually got that one on the inside of her forearm after her father died.

Then, when things got ugly between us and we were broken up, she actually said something that influenced my current tattoo. She made a reference from Tim Burton's movie, Corpse Bride. "Always the bridesmaid, never the bride". And let me tell you, that pissed me off because I had just confessed to her that I still loved her. I felt like she just threw it back in my face 'cause she has a new gf and we got in a fight, so she was being a bitter bitch. Anyway, at that time, I felt like it was true. I felt like I could relate to the character Emily, the Corpse Bride. Especially at the end when she was so selfless. She just wanted her love to be happy, even if it was with someone else.
    But now, I'm spiteful and I don't give a damn if my ex is happy anymore. She makes me sick So now I have a tatt of the Corpse Bride and it's really badass looking anyhoo. Now I want to get a tattoo of my rabbit who died. I was never as close to any other animal as I was to him. I just want to geta simple, little bunny outline and have it colored in black because that's what color he was. Cutest thing ever. I miss him. I named him Razor because he had really sharp claws and it just seemed to fit his personality, but I ended up calling him Bun Bun most of the time.

+ Reply to Thread