+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Female Writers

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Default Female Writers

One thing I have noticed is that when the female agents find out that the script is written by a GIRL, they get really bitchy... But what can I do, I am a girl, and I did write it. I can't pretend that I didn't write it. But I have noticed it. I guess there is not much I can do about this, if they don't want to work with a girl writer, then that's just the way it is. But it is a bit scary, especially these female English agents, they are sort of GUARDING their English Prince actors from the clutches of AMERICAN GIRL WRITERS... Oh well, I guess I will just do the best I can...

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: Female Writers

It's always been like that, it's a bit silly since women tend to write some amazing books and statisticly read more than men do. In terms of screenplays, well it's looked at as a male dominated profession and when a woman manages to break through with something sought after a level of jealousy does rise. Though really aren't women pretty catty toward each other to begin with? I've seen many ladies rip apart a woman due to her outfit in less than a minute...I can only manage how brutal they are about something like this. Don't stress too much on it though, agents know that if they let such petty actions get in the way of keeping who they represent working on good projects it'll come back to haunt em...bad. Ultimately it's about what these english actors want...even if it means working with an a American Girl Writer.

I guess that's why people have agents and lawyers to present their work. But I can't afford a lawyer... And ALL the agents seem to be women now, especially the English ones. I swear, this has been such a problem my whole life, getting past the bitchy women in the offices, the bitchy jealous assistants...

The first script I sent, I SWEAR, the actor never read it. The two women assistants told me that is was "not for him". They didn't say that he didn't like it. I'll bet a million pounds that he never even read it.

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    I guess that's why people have agents and lawyers to present their work. But I can't afford a lawyer... And ALL the agents seem to be women now, especially the English ones. I swear, this has been such a problem my whole life, getting past the bitchy women in the offices, the bitchy jealous assistants...

The first script I sent, I SWEAR, the actor never read it. The two women assistants told me that is was "not for him". They didn't say that he didn't like it. I'll bet a million pounds that he never even read it.
    Im thinking they just tossed it in the trash or something similar.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

That's not uncommon, agents make their living off the money those they represent make so they tend to want to push high profile big money projects before much else...sometimes in order to get a script in an actors hand you need to go through their network of friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    That's not uncommon, agents make their living off the money those they represent make so they tend to want to push high profile big money projects before much else...sometimes in order to get a script in an actors hand you need to go through their network of friends.
    Show biz... That's why they call it cut throat!!! AH!!!!

This is why alot of women use pen names.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by cheinara wraithwalker
    This is why alot of women use pen names.
    So do men who write those romance books.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    So do men who write those romance books.
    As they should, because most of those are just ridiculous.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

who gives a fuck about english actors? you want hugh grant in your movie? that guys sucks, notice the only one's that are any good are the one's that aren't in english movies.

nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos

shit- any good , aw hell- ANY actor can do an english accent!!!
    those beeatches probably aren't to happy you're hotter than they are either, honey- and if your writing and such that means you actually have talent- and eventhough you're a blond it just may mean you have abrain too- you know that just pissses them off!!!

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

One thing I have noticed is that when the female agents find out that the script is written by a GIRL, they get really bitchy... But what can I do, I am a girl, and I did write it. I can't pretend that I didn't write it. But I have noticed it. I guess there is not much I can do about this, if they don't want to work with a girl writer, then that's just the way it is. But it is a bit scary, especially these female English agents, they are sort of GUARDING their English Prince actors from the clutches of AMERICAN GIRL WRITERS... Oh well, I guess I will just do the best I can...
    Just a testosterone filled land called hollyweird. Nothing ever makes since in the bloody upsidedown place.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Ahhh.. a good ole cat fight is whats called for here. Go scratch their eyes out and serve them as appetizers at your big premier night.

chaosfeary's Avatar Senior Member

English Prince actors... haha, that phrase just makes me grin

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

One thing I have noticed is that when the female agents find out that the script is written by a GIRL, they get really bitchy...

tell 'em you're really a guy who writes under a female pseudonym. or a woman who writes under a female pseudonym. the object is to mess with their pointy little heads until they can't work out if they should be bitchy or not, and they run around in little circles and wet their pants.

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil
    tell 'em you're really a guy who writes under a female pseudonym. or a woman who writes under a female pseudonym. the object is to mess with their pointy little heads until they can't work out if they should be bitchy or not, and they run around in little circles and wet their pants.
    Well I have been e-mailing them with sort of an ambisexual name, and the name of a management company. But legally, I have to use my own name as the writer, or else I won't get any credit. I wish I could just use a man's name, I would... I sort of try to as much as I can, I try not to say if I am a boy or a girl, and they NEVER see photos of me or anything... Can you imagine if they SAW me!! Hah!!

Actually, this new English agent, I is not really being bitchy just because I am a girl, but because she thinks that this film is really IMPORTANT and she is really intense and wants the script NOW!! She keeps e-mailing and calling saying she hasn't gotten it yet, and how she has to page the director in LA, and he is coming back on Tuesday!

So I think I mis-read this one a bit (although I did get the cattiness too). She thinks this is a really big important film, and this is a first time director (he worked on Gladiator and Hannibal, and works with Ridley Scott). So I think he would be really good if we can get past this hysterical shrew agent.

I have realized that the role of agents is to PREVENT the actors from getting any good scripts!!! Actors fire their agents for this, and I can see why! I would hate to have an agent do this to me, sabatoge my career behind my back, etc.

I would try to get some small agent to rep me, but I don't trust anyone... Would you?

Jelaousy means that you realy got with something. Isn't like that? If you got a poor project then there will be just straight answer about how that is rediculous or bad, and then in mostly you'll get explanation about what was bad and how. So, be optimistic and keep looking around. Get some new contacts and such.
    And most important is to give your script to people who you believe to. So, when they read your stuff they'll say honestly what they think. One opinion doesn't count so give it to as much people as you can. But watch out to who you give it

Anyway.... can we get a sneak peak into your story.... now when is so mentioned around it's becoming more interesting to me...

P.S. My mom is good friend with Kusturica and like a kid I spend a lot of time around stars and movie shooting and such.... I never realy cared

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

Heres the thing. If you do it all yourself, you can sell your story to a womens network because youre so indipendant. Im not evenkidding,theyd eat it all up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis
    Heres the thing. If you do it all yourself, you can sell your story to a womens network because youre so indipendant. Im not evenkidding,theyd eat it all up.

This story might be a little too "GOTH" for the women's network... Maybe a goth women's network??? That's Blue Blood!!

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    Jelaousy means that you realy got with something. Isn't like that? If you got a poor project then there will be just straight answer about how that is rediculous or bad, and then in mostly you'll get explanation about what was bad and how. So, be optimistic and keep looking around. Get some new contacts and such.
    And most important is to give your script to people who you believe to. So, when they read your stuff they'll say honestly what they think. One opinion doesn't count so give it to as much people as you can. But watch out to who you give it

Anyway.... can we get a sneak peak into your story.... now when is so mentioned around it's becoming more interesting to me...

P.S. My mom is good friend with Kusturica and like a kid I spend a lot of time around stars and movie shooting and such.... I never realy cared

Thank you, that is really good advice. Yes I am always getting new contacts, so I just keep moving, keep working it!!!

Not at all. If youve got tits theyll love it.They preach diversity and whatnot. Goth is in these days ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis
    Not at all. If youve got tits theyll love it.They preach diversity and whatnot. Goth is in these days ;-)
    OK, but I tried television and it is all pretty conservative....

It hasto be a true account about how you overcame adversity in a male-dominated business. Then it becomes gold, and inspirational.

OK, but I tried television and it is all pretty conservative....
    HBO.

+ Reply to Thread