+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Halloween Or Dia De Los Muertos?

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

Default Halloween Or Dia De Los Muertos?

OMGoth another god damned Halloween thread! Jeeeeeezus!

So do you prefer the celebration of Halloween or Dia de Los Muertos?

Halloween had been my long time favorite holiday. For evers and evers! I love costumes, I loved candy as a child, I love cocktaials as an adult..... I love dressing up, getting to run around the city streets being obnoxious and being joined by what I view as a normally conservative society in hideous renditions of our favorite charectars for only one night.

However I have been recently disappointed with Halloween. Dia de Los Muertos has it's appeal, but I am not sure how one goes about celebrating it...... nope. I do not know. I have heard there are street festivals and whatnot in actual Mexico, and that they are insanly fun, but I have yet to experience them myself.....

Sooooo.... Halloween or DdLM?? I don't know!

CAN WE HAVE A NEW COSTUME HOLIDAY PLEASE?????

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

Default Re: Halloween Or Dia De Los Muertos?

Why not celebrate both. Albeit, I'm not too familiar with the Dia de Los Muertos history or traditions, though I do like the skeleton and skull artwork that seems to crop around that time.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Halloween is ridiculous. DdLM but no "goth" soundtrack. I want flatline Liszt.

Jackie T
    Last edited by One Eyed Cat; 07-27-2007 at 08:10 PM. Reason: sp

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

Samhain is more my taste.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Are you going to go to X-Sanguin this year?

If so, me and a bunch of my friends will all be there in DotD mariachi gear...

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

Dia de los Muertos was fun when i was a little kid, like 2 or something.
    Where i was from i remember everyone out in the streets and partying and whatnot.

See, the cool thing about Halloween is that it is a new holiday, so there are no real rules. Don't like what Halloween is, change it.

What I have seen of the Day of the dead, some of the festivals were fun. But then again how can flirting with a girl dressed up in one of those old style Spanish dresses wearing skull face paint while eating a death cookie with your name on it not be fun?

How do you celebrate day of the dead? Well there are a lot of parts of it, and I really only played with the superficial stuff.

The first two days (IIRC) are when you put up the shrines and pay tribute to the dead. The third day is when you put on the masks and party. Food and dancing and such, but a very traditional flavor.

I think Headless Bill has the right of it. Get what you want out of each holiday and, what the crap, lets do guy fawkes day just for giggles. I think you have to start a revolution or pass out pennies or something for that one.

Dia De Los Muertos was only big in Mexico I thought.

Having read about/watched videos..it looks like alot more fun in my opinion. Nothing like a macabre parade celebrating death and spirits

My halloweens are boring now a days. I probably have to work this year anyway.

Damniel's Avatar Senior Member

I´ll always like Dia de Muertos better...

The way to celebrate ir changes from town to town, but in general it´s about the dead coming down (or up) to earth to be with their families. So in each house people put "altares" wich are tables with food, drinks and pictures of the one they lost.

One of the things i like the most it´s the papper cut, i think can´t post images but if you google "papel picado" you can see what i´m talking about. We use itto put in the "altares" and around the house.

You can also walk around the graveyard at night to leave flowers to the ones you care and lost, sing songs and sometimes people even go with mariachis.

It´s a very special celebration and if you can visit any small town in Mexico that time of the year, you´ll have a great experience.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Day of the dead is cool, and its the day after halloween so you can just keep on celebrating. like Damniel mentioned, people build altars for their dead relatives, and you place their favorite food in front of the altar for their spirit to eat. its bad luck if you even take a small bite of a dead persons meal lol.
    In my family we dont usualy build an altar, but we do go to the cemetery and leave food there instead. my two favorite things about Day of the dead are
    Candy Skulls,

I bought this one last year in Tijuana and it was slightly bigger than my fist

Xempazuchitl Flowers

AKA Flowers Of The Dead. People place these on the Altars, Gravestones, and prety much evrywhere on this day. In the olden days they were used to hide the smell of dead bodies at funerals, and thats how they got the name . I love the smell and the color is fery Halloweenish as well wich is why i grow them in my garden year round

Bedlamite

All! Celebrate them all. ^_^ Declare the month of October one big holiday.

Our Elven Prionnsa

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    Dia De Los Muertos was only big in Mexico I thought.
    It's pretty big out where I live in Phoenix, AZ. Just gotta get away from Tempe and into places like Guadalupe. A lot of the Hispanic churches has little celebrations and now and again there's a parade. Nothing quite like giant skeletons marching down the street on the ends of sticks like reverse marionettes.

I say both. Styrofoam skeletons and face paint for the dead and Jack'o'lanterns and gosts and goblins for the restless spirits.

Xochitl's Avatar Senior Member

Both! One of these days I will make those sugar skulls!

+ Reply to Thread