+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Have you seen the movie Heathers?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Have you seen the movie Heathers?

So a friend of mine just had to deal with a girl he knows calling him for advice on how to handle her depressed little sister. The girl requesting the advice has dated multiple movie stars and is very charming in a hyper way. Her little sister says she wants to meet other smart kids and play Dungeons & Dragons. My friend advised having her little sister check out the movie Heathers with Christian Slater and Winona Rider. Thoughts on this?

Will Judy's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Have you seen the movie Heathers?

Jesus, why not tell her to smoke a whole bunch of weed and watch Apocalypse Now...

Mother Superior

Get to the Cafe pronto Colonel Kurtz! Actually for it's time, "Heathers" it wasn't that bad. I guess it's sort of like a "Jawbreaker" of the late 80's. I thought it was ok, out of ***** , I give it **1/2. I don't think It would be a "negative" movie, it's entertainment purposes. Many teenagers are depressed as well as adults, to me, that doesn't necessarily affect a persons emotional state. Realistically it depends on the person, especially a youger one. It's considered dark humor definitely and has a cult following more than anything. This girls age is a factor too, and how she reacts to certain stimuli. If the older sister has any doubts at all, she could view it first for herself, then she surely knows if it is suitable material for her younger sibling.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

It's a great movie but, not a kids movie. (how littlea re we talking?) And definitly not the answers to anyone's problems. Next thing you know her best friend's last words might be "Corn Nuts".
    K

Genesis's Avatar Member

I fucking love Heathers!
    One of my favorite people in the world (my gay uncle) started me on Heathers, The Lost Boys and Freddy Cruegar (sp?) at a really young age. All very classic movies/series that I still love to this day. I think that her watching some decent movies is a great idea. However... I don't think that it will help her in gaining friends *shurgs*

I think a better movie for a depressed little girl would be "Pump Up The Volume", if ya want to go with the Christian Slater motif..... It has a much more positive outlook on how to rebel against the evil world of high school. Personally, I love "Heathers", but if your friend is actually trying to be helpful, she'll use that movie as something to laugh at rather than an instruction manual.....

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Quote Originally Posted by macabrette
    I think a better movie for a depressed little girl would be "Pump Up The Volume", if ya want to go with the Christian Slater motif..... It has a much more positive outlook on how to rebel against the evil world of high school. Personally, I love "Heathers", but if your friend is actually trying to be helpful, she'll use that movie as something to laugh at rather than an instruction manual.....
    Abso-fucking-lutly. "Pump Up the Volume" is a way better movie for that kind of thing, and no one dies...
    K

Histrionica's Avatar Hardhearted Hellion

I agree with macabrette and keiko. Positive lessons in the movie, without being preachy. Heathers is just a cheesy riot. No real redeeming social value beyond entertainment.

~Histrionica~

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

"Well fuck me gently with a chainsaw..."
    "What is your damage?"
    Or my favorite...
    "I love my dead gay son!"

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Yeah, but how would he feel about a limp wrist with a pulse?

Histrionica's Avatar Hardhearted Hellion

Depends on whether or not the cameras were rolling.

~Histrionica~

vixta's Avatar rabid mutterings
    a red light district in the west midlands, uk

I loved Heathers - that and Pump up the Volume are my favourite 'coming of age' films.

Though i really think your friends friends little sister should watch battle royale, the wicker man and Julien Donkey boy. because they are the films everyone should see once. Plus she'd have the advantage of being able to scream curses in japanese across the playground.

Not usually my genre, but Heathers is a great movie. I remember liking Pump Up the Volume at the time and thinking that Samantha Mathis was a knock-out. But I do not remember much about it and Heathers has stayed with me.

Supposedly, the original script for Heathers was a science fiction opus in the magickal realism tradition, completely brilliant and completely unfilmable.

+ Reply to Thread