+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Win Sisters of Mercy Tickets in Los Angeles

Default Win Sisters of Mercy Tickets in Los Angeles

The Sisters of Mercy will be playing The Music Box at the Henry Fonda Theater in Los Angeles on Tuesday, December 2nd, 2008. Read on to find out...
    Read the full article

Default Re: Win Sisters of Mercy Tickets in Los Angeles

I remember a 1999 show in San Fran.. that was killer! So powerful for such a tiny guy.

But just in case..don't let me win the tickets..because I am not near LA :^(
    But figured i'd post my story anyway and give somebody else a chance. :^)

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

it sux that I'm 3000 miles away from l.a. I saw them a looooong time ago at the fillmore in s.f.
    don't let me win either, I'm just as far away as voldta.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

The tickets will obviously go to the ONE person here from Hell A.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    The tickets will obviously go to the ONE person here from Hell A.

Not everyone posts all the time. There are a few thousand members in California.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    it sux that I'm 3000 miles away from l.a. I saw them a looooong time ago at the fillmore in s.f.
    don't let me win either, I'm just as far away as voldta.
    There's always Combichrist in ATL on Valentines day

I drove 7 hours to see them when they played in philly in 97. it was supposed to be the last SOM show in america, yada yada, but there have been multiple tours since then, of course Sunshine Blind was supposed to be on the bill, but there was a last minute shuffle in the other bands because Andrew didn't want to be on a "gothic" ticket, so he played with Switchblade Symphony and Tapping the Vein instead, lol ;-) whatever Andrew, don't bite the hand that feeds you, lol;!!! I then stood in line for five hours. I got into a wierd confrontation with a photographer because I refused to let him steal my soul. When the doors opened we rushed the stage in a sea of black lace to be in the front. I'm really short so I wanted to be on the front row. I proceeded to damage my bladder to not loose my spot at the stage It was a nice show. Everyone was too gothic to really react during SOM but I'm really not good at being cool, so I sang along to every song. Andrew noticed the silly short girl, and maybe cleavage? Who knows but he came over and kneeled down on one knee at the beginning of Under the Gun. We then sang all the background monologue together and I practically swooned It was a fun moment. I wasn't expecting that level of charm from him so it made it even more sweet. He might be more than a little difficult, but he still has an aweseome voice.... and he's not **always** a jerk :0) That's not a GREAT story with juicy secret tidbits, but it's my brief little personal interaction with Andrew Eldritch!!

Thanks for posting it DJ Sinaptik
    And welcome to BB!

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    There's always Combichrist in ATL on Valentines day
    All the more reason to get back to ATL before February.

The Sisters will always be one of my favorite groups and the show they played here 2 weeks ago was better than the show I saw inChi-town a few years ago, but with that being said it would be nice to hear some new material. Turn down the fog machine and play some new music for christs sake.

Seeing the sisters in LA would be fucking wicked though.

entuska's Avatar The Storyteller

At first when I saw this posted as a bulletin on ******* I skimmed over it without reading it and replied with kind of a knee jerk reaction. I was upset because there was no way I could ever just fly off to LA to see a concert like this. The expense would be insane and getting time off from my job would be too difficult. And even more I was irritated because I'm pretty sure The Sisters of Mercy will not be coming to Houston any time soon. Sometimes I hate Texas.

However, I went back and read the article a little more carefully and saw that there was actually more I could say. And then Amelia replied back that i should share the rest of my story on the forums here. Ok.

I first became interested in the Sisters' music when I was in High School and living in a back water town in Louisiana. It was about 1991 I guess and I lived with my aunt, uncle and cousin. I don't think I had ever even heard the word Goth before so I didn't really relate to it that way until years later. In fact it would be a very long time later when I would realize that my whole style of dress and attitude along with my cousin and a couple of my friends were actually considered Goth. But thats another story.

Anyway, my uncle came home from work one day with a box full of cassette tapes a friend of his had given him that were going to get thrown away. My uncle had the foresight to hand them over to my cousin and me so we could go through them in case there was something we liked. There was Vision Thing. The name Sisters of Mercy seemed familiar to me and I liked the Eye of Ra on the cover so I thought hey this one is for me. Shortly after that I realized that a series of compilation tapes a buddy had made for me years before had some of their songs in the mix. Vision Thing quickly became one of my favorites. A few years later I bought the CD First Last and Always. The Sisters of Mercy became my favorite Goth sound band. I still love their music very much today and have a couple other CDs of theirs. I have always been disappointed that I never had the chance to see them in concert.

But since it will be in Los Angeles I really don't see it as a possibility. And even though Alice and I do know a few people in LA, I don't think we would be able to go. Getting away from my job and being able to afford the expense would be too much to deal with. It is very cool though that Eldritch is out there touring again. Who knows maybe he will come out this way sometime. Hopefully it'll be a good venue and NOT Numbers.

~Shane

I have a Sisters of Mercy show story. I saw them at the Academy in Manchester UK. I was loaded on four pints of Stella and was hanging out with the sound man and the security in the booth upstairs and to the right of the crowd. Somebody handed me a rollie and I smoked it for a moment. Whatever happened next was a complete blur. But my girlfriend who was head of security told me that I sang at the top of my lungs for the rest of the concert and then threw up on the mixing board.

I sure would like to see them a little less fucked up.

Happy Thankstaking!
    -Jaime

I always wanted to know if Andrew Eldritch had a problem with methadrine, found methadrine useful for creating, found methadrine useful for shedding bandmates, or suffered from narcolepsy. Love that song. Like to think of it as being about the electric hum in your ears after doing too much speed but when you still feel one with the universe. Probably not what it is really about but what it always makes me think of. What do other people think it is about?

I hear the roar of a big machine
    Two worlds and in between
    Hot metal and methedrine
    I hear empire down
    I hear empire down

Love lost, fire at will
    Dum-dum bullets and shoot to kill, I hear
    Dive, bombers, and
    Empire down
    Empire down

I hear the sons of the city and dispossessed
    Get down, get undressed
    Get pretty but you and me,
    We got the kingdom, we got the key
    We got the empire, now as then,
    We don’t doubt, we don’t take direction,
    Lucretia, my reflection, dance the ghost with me

We look hard
    We look through
    We look hard to see for real
    Such things I hear, they don’t make sense
    I don’t see much evidence
    I don’t feel. I don’t feel. I don’t feel

A long train held up by page on page
    A hard reign held up by rage
    Once a railroad
    Now it’s done...

Hot metal and methedrine
    I hear empire down...

We got the empire, now as then,
    We don’t doubt, we don’t take reflection,
    Lucretia, my direction, dance the ghost with me...

The sunglasses bit was funny.

Before I moved to Los Angeles, I lived in Rhode Island, and would venture up to Boston (well, technically it was in Cambridge) to one of my favorite clubs, ManRay. This was the premier goth/industrial club and I loved getting all dolled up on Friday nights to meet my friends there. One song that was always played was "This Corrosion", which I absolutely loved.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I find myself here in the City of Angels (and Devils). I poked around the internet to find a local goth club, and discovered Bar Sinister. So one Saturday evening I broke out the warpaint and made the trek to Hollywood. And that first night at Bar Sin, wouldn't you know it, the DJ played "This Corrosion". I felt ecstatic... being a stranger in a strange land, this song gave me a sort of "comfort" as I had come to acquaint it with going out back East.

MorningStar's Avatar Junior Member

Amelia,
    I was a long time reader of the mag. (Basically from the beginning when I use to sell it at Noir Leather back in Detroit)and now read it on line. In 1985 the Original Sisters of Mercy toured the U.S. Back when we were called Death Rockers, Not Goths. It was a few weeks before my 18th birthday, when they hit Detroit, so I couldn't see them play at St. Andrews Hall.I was crushed. My older friends said it was one of the best shows they had ever seen.
    I finally saw Andrew on the Vision Thing tour. Public Enemy was suppose to open for them. The last time P.E. played Detroit there was a HUGE riot so the city told the promoters that the show would be canceled if P.E. tried to play. We didn't know what to expect going to the show. Would the P.E. fans decide to take it out on all the spooky Goth kids that there favorite band could play? Turns out nothing happen.( thank god) During the Encore Andrew came out in an oversize P.E. shirts and Dedicated the encore to P.E., even holding up his fist and saying "Fight the Power."
    The best part of the night came about half way through the show. A friend of mine and I were in the front row of the seats. There were about five or six rows of people standing in front of us in the pit. We we're standing on our seats dead center, right in front of Andrew, a foot or two above the crowd in front of us, Looking eye to eye with him. We knew he could see us because when my friend lit up a joint and passed it over to me after taking a hit, Andrew held out his hand waiting for his turn! We' didn't know if he was just doing his little spooky hand thing that he dose, or if he was really wanted a hit. My friend held the joint out towards him and mouthed the words "You wanna hit?"
    Andrew nodded.
    Being very drunk at the time and now somewhat stoned the two of us squealed like little school girls and almost fell off our chairs at the fact Andrew was interacting with us from the stage. My friend promptly flicked the joint over the heads of the crowd in front of us towards the stage where it fell somewhat short, bouncing off the shoulder of the bouncer standing behind the crowd barricade.
    Andrew looked down for it,shrugged his shoulders giving us the "Oh well" look and continued on with the song at hand.
    My friend look over at me as asked "did that just happen?"
    I replied it must have because the two of us remembered it. Remember we were both stoned so it made sense at the time.

So there's my Sisters Story. Hope you like it.

Default One More Day to Win Sisters of Mercy Tix in Hollywood

The Sisters of Mercy will be playing The Music Box at the Henry Fonda Theater in Los Angeles on Tuesday, December 2nd, 2008 and you all have...
    Read the full article

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Saw em at First Ave a couple weeks ago. They got bad reviews due to overuse of fog/smoke and the sound quality was off that night. They were still good though. I think it was just an offnight at the venue. Marianne sounded dead on so .... can't complain.

OEC

I saw some of the earliest Sisters shows in the L.A. area growing up. Including their debut at the Ambassador Hotel downtown in late 1983. I grew up in Santa Clarita (30 miles outside of L.A.) and my mom had to drive me as a reward for some good grades. She waited in a nearby parking structure... never realizing the show would go until well past 1:30 am since every other show she knew of I'd gone to was over at 11.
    And I still don't think i have all the fake fog out of my lungs from their 1985 show at Fender's ballroom in Long Beach!

I saw S.O.M. in New York City, at one of their last shows before they got back together. It was such an awesome show;I imagine this will most likely be the same.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Congrats to MorningStar and jaimelynnlimur! You have each won a pair of tickets to the Sisters of Mercy show tonight.

Vomit partying and old skool culturally important anecdotes won the day! Thanks to everyone who participated here or on the various other sites.

Please email Del at submit@blueblood.net with your names for your guest list +1 each by 3pm today or you'll just go on the list with your board nicks.

MorningStar's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    Congrats to MorningStar and jaimelynnlimur! You have each won a pair of tickets to the Sisters of Mercy show tonight.

Vomit partying and old skool culturally important anecdotes won the day! Thanks to everyone who participated here or on the various other sites.
    THANKS!
    I'd also like to thank all those people that helped me waist my youth on cheap booze, sex and drugs. You helped lead me down a path of debauchery and self destruction. With out you I would be who I am today. I thank you.

Awesome! Thanks so much. I promise I won't puke on the gear tonight, and I'll keep to what's in my flask.

+ Reply to Thread