+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Time to get into the best shape of my life.

Default Time to get into the best shape of my life.

Hi Blue-comrades,

I've come to the part of my life where it is time to get in the best shape of my life. I've got a horrible habit of getting really into working out..then getting bored and stopping. Well now that I'm about to sign up to be an officer I need to get into awesome shape so im not a liability to myself and others during work.

What are some tricks/ideas you all have for getting into shape/keeping the motivation up?

It's so easy to wake up and go "fuck this bed is warm mmmm.." or "Well....I worked out good yesterday..could always just take today off..."

Cya all later

Default Re: Time to get into the best shape of my life.

Just follow any program you're following and keep to it. You know that muscles grow when you rest. Keep the protein level high after training. Go the natural style. No chemicals and strange stuff!
    Remember that if you want to grow your muscles you speed and stamina will fall so keep the balance there. I personally prefer speed and stamina, but you need to keep a balance if you want strength too. Work with your mind, not your muscles

Hope this was helpful enough.

I think i mentioned my lazy man's workout before, but here goes.

Set goals that fit your schedule, not the other way around. If you don't have a lot of time in the morning just set yourself to doing 5 push-ups every morning and maybe 5 sit-ups after work.

It doesn't seem like much, but it builds a routine. Once you are set in a routine you will (or at least I will) start to build on it without a lot of conscious thought cause hey, I am down here doing five, why not ten?

Hope that helps.

The key is to start off at a reasonable pace, and make the new workout routine into a pleasant habit. Most people take on something really onerous, as they don't feel that they'll get the results they want from something milder. However, there's only so much willpower most people have, and after throwing themselves at that wall each day, they eventually rationalize dialing back.

However, since dialing back the activity level would feel like failure, they somewhat ironically rationalize skipping it entirely, and actually do fail to get or keep in shape.

Start out with something that doesn't feel like a huge task to overcome; something you can manage easily each day. Eventually, it will feel odd to not be doing it, and you can then step it up as you need to. The fitter you get, the more your body will be ready for other physical tasks, and the less intimidating they'll seem, as well. Hence, less of mental roadblock.

...just don't ever get into that mental trap where you say, "Oh, I just don't have the time for it." If the President of the United States has time to work out, so does everyone else.

Heh...Post Mortem and I said almost the same exact thing at almost the same exact time.

Thanks for the advice all. This is good stuff

That is so funny. I can imagine band of thugs serving time in prison and the only thing they can do is workout. Now when they're out they just don't know to do anything else than to workout.

Holy shit those guys are huge.

Since you want to be in law enforce, your best bet is running.

Don't just run same routine at same distance and speed everyday. Mix it up. Do bunches of sprint one day, next day do long distance running, next day do up hill sprinting or jog, etc... Also stretch a LOT!!! I don't mean just stretch for 5 mins then run. I mean actually set aside time and take your time to stretches for like 15 or 20 mins before AND after. Flexibility help you reduce your chance of getting injury in almost anything and if you does, it help you heal faster. Then do enough push up and sit up to pass the minimum requirement 5 days a week, that will take you only may 10 or 15 mins. As for running and stretching, that can take about 45 mins to a hour and you can do it only three days a week or so.

Stamina is probably the most important thing in law enforcement. It's unlikely you'll ever need to be stronger than average or anything. As long as you can pass the minimum requirement in physical test, you'll be fine. But stamina will always be important! You may have to run long distance, sprint quickly, climb, crawls, drag heavy things, etc... No strength in the world will help you if your stamina suck.

Yes it is hella hard to motivation yourself to stay to the schedule. You can try set a reward system such as if you run as much as you promised yourself to, you'll treat yourself to a coffee at your favorite coffee place every Friday or so. Then set a reward for end of month such as... dinner to fairly pricy restaurant you like. Do same with end of season and year. That should motivate you.

Lastly, if you have a bit extra money and time, may look into Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or Judo since they both are type of wrestling. It'll force you to work every parts of your body and push your cardio and stamina to the limit.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

fill a backpack with 50 pounds of cast iron and carry it around............everywhere

that'll give you incentive

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

do steroids, and play baseball

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

You're asking the wrong person here. Sarry

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Shock your system. Don't keep doing the same exercises all the time, your body will get use to them and you won't get results. Running is running, so other than doing long jogs or sprints, there's not many options. Although, some people at some university somewhere did a study where they found that if you do the high intensity at the beginning of the workout and drop down to the lower intensity you get more out of it. For example, if you run for 30 minutes, run at 80% for the first 15 minutes then drop to 35-50% for the last 15 minutes.

There's variations to every lift and each variation works the muscle group differently, even if it's slight. Any difference confuses the muscles and shocks them into working harder and you get more out of it. Also, circuit training or running the rack will help build your strength and stamina at the same time. Circuit training is choosing one body part and doing three exercises for it and that's one set. For example, if you're working chest, do a weight you can handle for 10-15 reps on bench press. Then without rest, move to incline bench press, decline bench press, dumbbell flies, cable cross overs, etc. After another 10-15 reps move to another one. Then rest and start again.

Running the rack is starting at a weight you can barely do 8 to 10 times. Do it, then with little rest, drop to a slightly lower weight, say 5-10 pounds. Do it, then keep dropping weights. Both of these routines keep things a little interesting and also build strength and endurance.

Just be careful not to overwork any muscle group. Abs can be worked daily, but it's not necessarily a good idea. Otherwise, each muscle group should only be worked once, maybe twice a week with a couple days between.

sounds like that workout program..................p90 I think

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    fill a backpack with 50 pounds of cast iron and carry it around............everywhere

that'll give you incentive
    Good point In army we walked at least 20km every day with full equipment. That was around 66lbs. Do that for 9 months and you'll be unstoppable

Remember that ankle and wrist weights are bad for your bones. Avoid those.

yeah, ankle any wrist wieghts are bad.......

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    Holy shit those guys are huge.
    That's why you gotta work out if you want to be a cop!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight

rofl never thought of it like that. I have my motivation!

And what would that be?

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    No, that's why you carry a pistol at your hip. The key is to find a squad that lets you carry a .45 or at least a 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    And what would that be?
    To become like him:

Or... To join Village People:

+ Reply to Thread