+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ever been homeless? How'd you like that?

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Default Ever been homeless? How'd you like that?

I've been homeless before. For about 2 years. It sucked. I live in a rather small city, one with no homeless shelters at the time so I spent most of my days trying to find somewhere to sleep at night. Couches, bars, pool halls, covered bridges. I had friends who worked in restaurants so I would hang out in alleys and they would sneak me food. Also I must say, it takes real talent to bathe yourself in the tiny sinks at the local Greyhound station.
    As horrible as it was for me at the time (and now I'm just being whiny because I KNOW lots of people have had it far worse than me) I wouldn't change a day of it because it's made me who I am today.

So, what's your story?

Default Re: Ever been homeless? How'd you like that?

I have... but I'd rather share thru PM.
    Later, I'm getting ready to go to bed.

My heart goes out to you.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

homeless shelters suck. I would never go to one.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Congrats for getting through that. How'd you get out?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I guess I could have been considered homeless here and there for brief spaces of time but I have a knack for adapting to whatever environment presents itself. I suppose I did spend a few years of no fixed adress.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    Congrats for getting through that. How'd you get out?
    Belive it or not, football players! I hated them in high school and they hated me, but I saw some of them at a bar one night and ended up living with them rent free for 4 or 5 months until I found a job and eventually got a place with a few girlfriends.
    It was interesting to say the least. They were really decent people.

Isnt high school weird like that?

I'm glad you got a way out.
    Where was the worst place you slept while homeless? IF you dont mind me asking.

Under a bridge, like a troll. No, really, it wouldn't have been bad at all except that was where the old drunk men slept. I didn't stay long.
    2nd worst place, in the tiny lobby of this really dingy apt. building. I would later move into one the apt's above- 'Cockroach City'

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

I've been far away from home, sleeping in cars and in parks, but not exactly homeless.

Although I have never been homeless, I sometimes wish I was in San Francisco. Just to be free of half the bullshit in society, be on my own, wander as I wish, etc. But I would have issues with not being able to shower as often.

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

Thankfully no I havent. I have volunteered at a couple homeless shelters over the years (most of them in NY require that there be someone staffed overnight). Lots of hard stories to hear, and people just looking for someone to listen to them... it was an interesting experience.

I know everyone's situation is different but for me personally I couldnt be homeless in a city. I'd just load up my gear and go live in the woods... or just thruhike.... the appalachian trail, pacific crest trail, continental divide trail... those can take 5-6 months each, even smaller trails like the John Muir Trail or the LT in vermont. It's amazing how many awesome people you can meet on the trail. Yes you do need gear and food, but there seems to be a much higher rate of generosity and opportunities out there (maybe not employment, but at least self-growth).

anyways, just my perspective. thanks for sharing ur story.

Quote Originally Posted by drewblood
    Thankfully no I havent. I have volunteered at a couple homeless shelters over the years (most of them in NY require that there be someone staffed overnight). Lots of hard stories to hear, and people just looking for someone to listen to them... it was an interesting experience.

I know everyone's situation is different but for me personally I couldnt be homeless in a city. I'd just load up my gear and go live in the woods... or just thruhike.... the appalachian trail, pacific crest trail, continental divide trail... those can take 5-6 months each, even smaller trails like the John Muir Trail or the LT in vermont. It's amazing how many awesome people you can meet on the trail. Yes you do need gear and food, but there seems to be a much higher rate of generosity and opportunities out there (maybe not employment, but at least self-growth).

anyways, just my perspective. thanks for sharing ur story.
    Have you seen the movie Into the Wild? It's good, you should check it out if you haven't already. Sounds like you (the whole living in the woods thing i mean)

I have not been homeless personally, but I did help out a homeless guy and his dog that horrible skin issues. We have a Good Samaritan fund and Good Sam donated meds that we were able to set him up with. Made us feel good for his dog, him and our good karma!

By the way I am a vet tech if you are wondering!

+ Reply to Thread