+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Italy: Silvio Berlusconi's 'Iron Fist' Laws Approved

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

Default Italy: Silvio Berlusconi's 'Iron Fist' Laws Approved

source
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl....html#continue

Soldiers could be sent into Italy's cities, illegal immigrants will be imprisoned and all non-serious court cases will be frozen for a year under new measures approved by Italy's senate.

The senate voted 166 to 123 to approve a wide-ranging package of measures which will allow Silvio Berlusconi to govern Italy with an iron fist.

Mr Berlusconi, 71, will now be able to use as many as 3,000 soldiers for up to six months in order to fight crime. Previously, the use of the army had to be agreed by the parliament beforehand. The first destination for the troops is likely to be Naples, where Mr Berlusconi faces violent opposition to his plans for dealing with the city's rubbish crisis.

Another controversial measure in the package will eventually see illegal immigrants imprisoned for up to four years. Landlords who rent homes to illegal immigrants will have their properties seized. Mr Berlusconi has pinned much of the blame for Italy's crime problem on immigrants and has vowed to "wash the piazzas clean of uncertainty". Immigrants who claim to have family in Italy will be given DNA tests.

Default Re: Italy: Silvio Berlusconi's 'Iron Fist' Laws Approved

wtf?!

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Mussolini has returned.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    Mussolini has returned.
    Whoa..I was gonna say that.^ That's fucking nuts...but I still wanna go back. Not too worried....got my DNA covered.

I am on the fence about this issue. On one hand I support this action. Justice, public safety, and order, I can agree with that. Italy is Republic, using the military in this way spells the death of the republic (much like Rome). In times of need, republic may need to be saved from itself. Julius Caesar might just have done that. My only true problem would be Berlusconi, power would he be willing to give it up in 6 months if said action work?

Julius Caesar is often looked upon by historians as a bloodthirsty megalomaniac whose only wish was to topple the Republic and install himself as King.

I personally would like to believe that he was a patriotic Roman who had seen the corrupt side of the greasy-palmed Senate and knew that an abrupt change was the only way to save Rome from a “mob-ruled” establishment.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Imperator rex non erat, Bacche.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I'd love to see how they intend to isolate "Italian DNA". I don't believe it is possible.

OEC

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    I'd love to see how they intend to isolate "Italian DNA". I don't believe it is possible.

OEC
    With a HERCULEAN ACT OF WILL I choke back some of the more obvious and tasteless jokes which, not symptomatic of any actual rancour towards Italians, might give that impression.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    With a HERCULEAN ACT OF WILL I choke back some of the more obvious and tasteless jokes which, not symptomatic of any actual rancour towards Italians, might give that impression.
    Dennis Hopper is a fine actor. You know his first role was in Rebel Without a Cause? Said on a doc. he cried when he first saw Dean act. Felt like he couldn't match the guy. Dunno what made me think of Hopper.

OEC

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I can kind of see your point Bacchus. certainly republics can be compromised, but dictatorships (in the Grecian sense,meaning rule of one figurehead, as you know the term was not originally a negative connotation) have rarely been much better.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

give it up after six months?.................................hahahahaha hahahahahaha

morning glory... Any government can be compromised. I do not see Italy going that way, in 1950 years thing have changed in the make up political landscape in rome. I like the fact that Berlusconi stand up for interest of Italians. What dislike the most, is use of military force.

DNA thing is very funny, are going to remains from Pompey ? lets just see how Roman you are....
    I am going to repeat myself if i do not watch it...

+ Reply to Thread