+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rap Music

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Rap Music

I'm partial to the Dead Prez song about being a vegetarian.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

I personally do not like the idea of rap nor hip hop... But I do like old school rap from the 80s, I feel that tells more of story than ones from today. ( some of it)

I am person for lyrics, always have been...during my teen years in the 90s had an older brother and sister show me some musical ropes so to speak. Van Morrison, Mark Knopfle Warren Zevon ect..

Someone those same people, that listen to new gangster crap. Tell me that VNV nation is this american techno... HOLD ON! listen to lyric, and tell me that.. or read the lyrics...

Cant not damn anyone for what music they listen unless they are not willing to listen to something else that might open their musical mind..

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

VNV is from the UK

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Other than late night BET video shows, I don't think I've come across much rap having anything to do with strip clubs.

I recently posted photographs I shot in a strip club and a video from same and people seemed to like that just fine.

I promise that, if anyone here is really versed in hip hop songs about stripping, I can go toe-to-toe with them coming up with hard rock songs about it.

Every genre has its silly songs and many have their offensive songs, but I don't see how rap or hip hop is soooooooo much sillier and soooooooo much more offensive than other popular and underground genres. Please explain this to me. I don't want to have a kneejerk response on this, but, in the absence of examples, I have trouble avoiding the thought that being super anti-rap is a little bit racist.

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    Every genre has its silly songs and many have their offensive songs, but I don't see how rap or hip hop is soooooooo much sillier and soooooooo much more offensive than other popular and underground genres. Please explain this to me. I don't want to have a kneejerk response on this, but, in the absence of examples, I have trouble avoiding the thought that being super anti-rap is a little bit racist.

to me... it's not different... and super anti-rap probably is slightly racist...

I like techno (lived in italy and germany for 20 years... mmm...techno, kind of a dirty secret have about 100GB on the hard drive), i like classic rock... i prefer classic rock. I also like metal, rock, nancy wilson... and ll cool j... I think it has more to do with personal preference. rap artists take liberties with spelling and pronunciation. is it a cultural thing? who cares, it's a genre of music. rap music does tend to over emphasize "booty" (sorry Mystoo) and guns and drugs and gang banging, but is the public's reaction any different that peoples reaction to Elvis, the Beatles, Jerry Lee, or The Rolling Stones back in the day. I'm not a fan of rap... nor will i ever be, but i like a couple of songs... "hypnotize" "California" some of the more popish mainstream songs perhaps... hell it's just music... maybe someone finds my Boston vinyl collection offensive...

if you don't like it, don't listen to it... if someone is making you listen to it... "slap dat bitch up and pop'em wif your 9!..."
    Last edited by jonny.illuminati; 07-16-2008 at 05:12 AM. Reason: spelling error

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by jonny.illuminati
    to me... it's not different... and super anti-rap probably is slightly racist...

I like techno (lived in italy and germany for 20 years... mmm...techno, kind of a dirty secret have about 100GB on the hard drive), i like classic rock... i prefer classic rock. I also like metal, rock, nancy wilson... and ll cool j... I think it has more to do with personal preference. rap artists take liberties with spelling and pronunciation. is it a cultural thing? who cares, it's a genre of music. rap music does tend to over emphasize "booty" (sorry Mystoo) and guns and drugs and gang banging, but is the public's reaction any different that peoples reaction to Elvis, the Beatles, Jerry Lee, or The Rolling Stones back in the day. I'm not a fan of rap... nor will i ever be, but i like a couple of songs... "hypnotize" "California" some of the more popish mainstream songs perhaps... hell it's just music... maybe someone finds my Boston vinyl collection offensive...

if you don't like it, don't listen to it... if someone is making you listen to it... "slap dat bitch up and pop'em wif your 9!..."

Going to high school overseas where the American community gets some music a lil late, I thought Boston had just come out then. Not the case.

I think Elvis, the Beatles, Jerry Lee, or The Rolling Stones are a great selection of examples of exactly the same kind of reaction from the neighbors of people who loved those bands and now cry about rap.

And that's more than a feeling.

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G

And that's more than a feeling.
    sweet mother of God... she's quoting Boston to me... quickest way to my heart!

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I don't see liking or disliking rap as indicative of much of anything beyond personal taste. If that's how they speak to their experience, so be it. I have my own ipod as well

OEC

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    VNV is from the UK
    Yes, they are... Just the person trying to compare them to that american hip hop techno crap of 90s... I was try to explain to them, there is more to them just listen you might learn something

johnny the fact you dislike rap doesn't make you racist anyway....

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    Does Judas Priest make you want to kill yourself?

I always thought judas priest promoted the exact opposite

Dishuman's Avatar Member

There is "Intelligent" Rap out there.
    Original MCs deserve respect and they are really good at what they do.

PS: 50-cent, R Kelly, etc, They are not even close to being real Rappers, no Fucking way. Those are just losers trying to get out of the ghetto by exploiting teenage girls with low IQ's and Egos.

Nuff Said.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

My friend Just showed me some stuff by Mindless Self Indulgence, and all I have to say it is that they where the most sex orientated songs I have ever herd, but it would take actual talent to do what this guy does.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Rap - the "C" is silent.

I mean, even the "consciousness" rap: telling me Farrakhan is a prophet. He's an outright racist. As for KRS ONE - dig the man's delivery, but "overseer / overseer overseer officer officer officer" I mean come on.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dishuman
    There is "Intelligent" Rap out there.
    Original MCs deserve respect and they are really good at what they do.

PS: 50-cent, R Kelly, etc, They are not even close to being real Rappers, no Fucking way. Those are just losers trying to get out of the ghetto by exploiting teenage girls with low IQ's and Egos.

Nuff Said.
    And yet I have never heard an example that take some small amount of skill to do.
    I am sure some of the old stuff would be good tho.

+ Reply to Thread