+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salvation Films, what happened?

chaosfeary's Avatar Senior Member

Default Salvation Films, what happened?

bugger. I just looked at the site http://www.salvation-films.ltd.uk/ and well, it's gone. This may be old news, I dunno, but damn. Anyone know what happened?

I was always meaning to check out the film they were making with a bunch of cool people, names I can remember were morrigan hel and threnody in velvet (used to call herself morgana). Such a pity!

Default Re: Salvation Films, what happened?

I usually dont click on links where I dont know what's going on....
    could you give me a heads up?

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedKhaos
    I usually dont click on links where I dont know what's going on....
    Well, the site's down, so not much. ;D

Thanks for checking it out for me.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

If its the Company I think your meaning: http://salvation-films.com

OrganisedKhaos: its a British firm dealing in mainly horror movies, music (of what Genre I don't know, I don't recognise the artists), and a bit of smut on film. Never bought of them tbh but i know of them through a Friend who sent pictures in on their sister site

oh haha, I guess they just moved website.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Back in the day, Blue Blood used to trade zines with them. We supported each other and had a positive relationship.

This is an example of how the internet is much less fun than zines. This company snarfed a whole bunch of Forrest Black's and my photography for their web stuff. They actually specifically cropped our credits off photographs. They even made their main commercial promotional banner with some of our work. I wrote to them a couple of times asking that they just give us credit and some link love. I even offered to let them get paid for linking to us with affiliate program link code. No luck. Forrest made one offhand comment about being disappointed in the whole thing in a personal journal and had some model go ballistic at him for not only expressing his opinion in private.

So, where zines were these awesome vehicles for self-expression and connecting with others, the internet should be even moreso. Instead, someone who absolutely could create something on their own will just take from others without permission and give back hostility and the suggestion that nobody should ever express their true opinion or feelings.

Where is the art or community in that?

That's just HORRIBLY wrong!

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

I sorta know how you feel.
    I had this one guy at school who used to steal my work and say it was his or just destroy it.
    I got so bad that on my year 9 report I got told by my Computer teacher that "Michael brings down the productivity level of the class"
    and because no teachers saw anything he got away with it.

eh, surely using copyrighted images would be illegal??

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Quote Originally Posted by chaosfeary
    eh, surely using copyrighted images would be illegal??
    There's a whole heap of difference between being illegal and doing something about it, especially if the rights owner and infringer are in different countries. It's pointless to spend $5000 on legal fees to win a case worth $50 when you know the defendant won't pay out even if they lose, and unfortunately people who steal stuff know that. You write a nice letter, then a nasty one.. but 90% of the time that's where it stops unless it's domestic.

The cross-border cases that make it to court all have one thing in common - plaintiff is such a large corporation they have in-house lawyers, so it doesn't cost to make them work for a change.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    There's a whole heap of difference between being illegal and doing something about it, especially if the rights owner and infringer are in different countries. It's pointless to spend $5000 on legal fees to win a case worth $50 when you know the defendant won't pay out even if they lose, and unfortunately people who steal stuff know that. You write a nice letter, then a nasty one.. but 90% of the time that's where it stops unless it's domestic.

The cross-border cases that make it to court all have one thing in common - plaintiff is such a large corporation they have in-house lawyers, so it doesn't cost to make them work for a change.

It isn't just the fiscal aspect. There is the wear and tear on one's feelings. I'm just kinda bummed and disappointed that someone I felt a kinship with would use my work, not just displayed on his site when he knew he had no permission, but for the actual branding of his site. Especially when, unless he didn't actually take any of the photos in his magazine and just claimed to, this is someone who is entirely able to shoot his own images for such a purpose.

I guess what I am saying is that I am bummed out that he would want to do that to me. Even if I spent $5,000 on legal fees and got a $20,000 settlement, that wouldn't change the fact that having one artist do that to another is just effing depressing.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Theft is the cheapest form of imitation.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

an artist creates Amelia, that's the difference.

The internet is prime for a bit of Malignant Narcissists empire building, its common and depressing, its refreshing to find some place run by people who are straight with you.

+ Reply to Thread