+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Men's Wear - it's GOOD TO BE A MAN

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Men's Wear - it's GOOD TO BE A MAN

Right now men's wear is being BRUTALISED. If you're a guy and you wear clothes, look into it right now, The first thing that goes in a recession is men's wear, and the finer it is, the less of it is bought, and the more savage the markdown.

I needed new clothes for work, my manager DELICATELY suggested to me.

So I looked at the situation and realised that I really missed dressing nicely for work. At one point I worked in a diplomatic capacity and wore bespoke English suits.

So I goes down to my local and find the following bargains:

A Calvin Klein sport coat (and not cheap either - gorgeous) for $39 retail over $400
    Thee suits - a Kenneth Cole New York one that's stunning, a light grey Calvin Klein that's so soft you'd get brownie points for delicately wiping someone's vagina dry with it - and a black double breasted Jones New York suit with a white pinstripe, all of which retail at $600 each, for $69.

I bought Calvin Klein dress shirts in various rich colors for $9.99, $20 and $14.99 - all crosswoven and retailing for over $70.

And I bought three STUNNING ties for $6 that retail for close to $100.

I didn't even spend the cost of one suit, and I am more than well set.

The only problem, and this is my gripe right now.... If you look at GQ or Esquire, the ads for Nautilus, CK, etc. all feature guys with 52 inch chests and 28in waists modelling the clothes.

I bought a size 48/50 and the pants clock in at 44in - I'm 34in around. (Yeah, I've lost 30lb in the past month and a half)

So I will have to alter the clothes. But between that and the jeans I picked up for next to nothing (nice ones) I have a far better looking wardrobe than I've ever had.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a hard fighting, hard fucking deviant bisexual scumbag tattooed biker pervert, but in a suit that screams money and decent shirt and neckwear, I look the tits. Wow.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Default Re: Men's Wear - it's GOOD TO BE A MAN

The trick though is how expensive is it going to be to have the clothes altered. I mean changing a pant size from 44 inches to 34 inches, I'd think would be dramatic. EVERYTHING on the pants will have to be altered. And after it's THAT altered, will it have a good fit?

The deals you got though are a friggin' steal. Calvin Klein sportcoat for just $40 bucks? Nice!

I bought it at a place that will alter the pants for $27. Okay, so figure with that, $100 a suit.

Here's the jacket (please ignore my hair I had helmet-head from having driven somewhere)

and the suit (the Kenneth Cole)

I already had the black velvet smoking jacket - here's the shirt and neckwear

The webcam flattens the fabric out and makes it look oranger, but it's a deep wine red, and slightly shiny.

Pics of the other stuff soon

The shirts and ties are all from the same trip. The suit, jacket, shirts and ties came to JUST over $150.

That's a fucking steal.

Kick-ass wear!....

That is a fuckin' steal!

Oh, when it comes to men's wear, I can wear it, and wear it WELL.

I don't look like some sales git forced into a monkey suit. I grew up wearing suits and ties to school and have worked in international diplomacy. I lean across a table in a high-powered business meeting in something like that and it's on.

I always look kind of frumpy in suits....But it doesn't matter. All women (and men too...( like to see their men in suits every now and then.

It always amazes me how women like their men dressed in just regular clothes, but throw on a suit and it's always, "God, you look handsome as shit!"

I've seen it time and time again and not just with me, but also when my guy friends throw on a suit, their ladies get all kinds of **excited** and start throwing out the compliments like crazy.

I'm not a suit wearing guy, per se...But, it is nice every now and then to clean up and put one on. Just makes me feel as sharp as a brand new mutha' fuckin' switchblade.

Oh, I'm reasonably sure if I posted a pic of me with my hair slicked back, shaving with a straight razor in a black tank-top and suit pants, with a 100% wool double breasted suit jacket hanging on a cedar hanger in the background, I'd get HELLA laid.

Cufflinks, martini. THAT'S how I roll more often than not.

Then I toss all that shit off, grab jeans, a T-shirt and a leather jacket that's seen me 3,000 miles plus across this country, and lose a layer of tire peeling out on an ape hangered Harley.

As for frumpiness in a suit, it's about FIT.

Ummmm....

/runs to the mall.

***As for frumpiness in a suit, it's about FIT.***

You mean athletically (sp?) FIT or Fit like in "tailor-fit"?

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    I bought it at a place that will alter the pants for $27. Okay, so figure with that, $100 a suit.

Here's the jacket (please ignore my hair I had helmet-head from having driven somewhere)

and the suit (the Kenneth Cole)

I already had the black velvet smoking jacket - here's the shirt and neckwear

The webcam flattens the fabric out and makes it look oranger, but it's a deep wine red, and slightly shiny.

Pics of the other stuff soon
    Dannng, looking good, and not just cause of the new suits!

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    I always look kind of frumpy in suits....But it doesn't matter. All women (and men too...( like to see their men in suits every now and then.

It always amazes me how women like their men dressed in just regular clothes, but throw on a suit and it's always, "God, you look handsome as shit!"

I've seen it time and time again and not just with me, but also when my guy friends throw on a suit, their ladies get all kinds of **excited** and start throwing out the compliments like crazy.

I'm not a suit wearing guy, per se...But, it is nice every now and then to clean up and put one on. Just makes me feel as sharp as a brand new mutha' fuckin' switchblade.
    I think its personal taste, if a handsome guy in a nice suit was walking down the street, I might take a look at him, but if a handsome guy dressed in some alternative style was walking down the street I'd be checking him out. But I suppose for most girls if their guy fancies himself up once in a blue moon, then of course hes gonna get compliments cause its not an everyday look.

***As for frumpiness in a suit, it's about FIT.***

You mean athletically (sp?) FIT or Fit like in "tailor-fit"?
    Tailor-fit. You need to find something that makes you look good. It's not just women who can choose clothes based on how they want their bodies to look.

Quote Originally Posted by SyntheticShock
    I think its personal taste, if a handsome guy in a nice suit was walking down the street, I might take a look at him, but if a handsome guy dressed in some alternative style was walking down the street I'd be checking him out. But I suppose for most girls if their guy fancies himself up once in a blue moon, then of course hes gonna get compliments cause its not an everyday look.
    It's always about personal taste But thank you for the compliment.

That's the cool thing about men's wear.

You've got three guys.

One's in a navy suit with a flat top and a nondescript tie. He's in a suit cause he sells cars, and doesn't want to be in one. Either that or he does, but he accepts it as a uniform.

Then there's the guy in colours that suit him. I look better in greys and greens than black - I have to be careful with black. Being a quarter Jewish, the black/white Goth look makes me look sickly and sallow. But blood red burgundy and gold, well, that brightens up the black. And hey, that velvet jacket was being worn with a Utilikilt, and I have nice legs.

There's the European guy - his shirt is salmon pink, and he pulls it off with olive greens. Elegant.

And of course, you need to realise that for every guy working a dead end accountancy job, there's the Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra crowd that simply wore power clothes to make themselves as good looking as possible, cause they were nailing the ladies left and right.

Actually, Synthetic, let me ask you this, cause I'm interested in your POV on this, and anyone else wanna chime in, let me know.

So imagine that you're meeting this guy - he's in a rather expensive suit, but you notice that his shoes are compatible ones, but rather than staid brogues, they've got that unmistakable threading that demonstrates a Dr. Martens sole.

And the earrings are tribal.

He's slick, but not too much, in fact rather brash and self-effacing.

And when his shirt cuffs rise up beyond his wrist, you can see the very edges of tattoos on both wrists. A glance at the gap in the forearms of the shirts, the hole where the shirts are buttoned, reveals glimpses of those same tattoos.

If he ever removes the cross-woven shirt (which shimmers with two colours at once, but in a subtle and not sateen polyester way) you realise that the black tank is tight across hard pectorals and a rather muscled torso.....

Do those two sets of juxtaposed worlds work with each other or against each other? In other words, would you be thinking "those two don't go" or would you be thinking "there is much more to this"?

A suit can either be "I am a cog in a machine which makes me wear this" or "after this fine cigar and martini, I'm going to grab you by the shoulders and fuck your brains out until your knees are trembling so hard you can barely stand." (in a good way - not talking about a rapist here)

How do you emphasise the latter? There is nothing about me that's the former. In what I do, the dress code is "cover your genitals". In fact, bathing is optional, to my dismay....

Tailor-fit. You need to find something that makes you look good. It's not just women who can choose clothes based on how they want their bodies to look.

Very true.

What's your body like, Ajax? Two generations back, my family used to tailor in a very good part of London.

episode allah's Avatar iconoclast

no weird stains. I'm disappointed.

What's your body like, Ajax? Two generations back, my family used to tailor in a very good part of London.
    Kinda average with some gut included.

Short torso, long torso. Long arms, short arms? Wide shoulders?

Short, short and average. I am 5' 6" in length.

Short, short and average. I am 5' 6" in length.
    Arm length is 32-33 "....I think that's what the measurement means...Maybe that's waist-size, but shirts that fit me most comfortable have a 17 " neck (although I could probably go 16 1/2 but I like space if you know what I mean)and then state 32-33" underneath the neck size.. Waist is 33 ". My gut is bigger than my waist. I weigh about 165 Lbs.

Actually, Synthetic, let me ask you this, cause I'm interested in your POV on this, and anyone else wanna chime in, let me know.

So imagine that you're meeting this guy - he's in a rather expensive suit, but you notice that his shoes are compatible ones, but rather than staid brogues, they've got that unmistakable threading that demonstrates a Dr. Martens sole.

And the earrings are tribal.

He's slick, but not too much, in fact rather brash and self-effacing.

And when his shirt cuffs rise up beyond his wrist, you can see the very edges of tattoos on both wrists. A glance at the gap in the forearms of the shirts, the hole where the shirts are buttoned, reveals glimpses of those same tattoos.

If he ever removes the cross-woven shirt (which shimmers with two colours at once, but in a subtle and not sateen polyester way) you realise that the black tank is tight across hard pectorals and a rather muscled torso.....

Do those two sets of juxtaposed worlds work with each other or against each other? In other words, would you be thinking "those two don't go" or would you be thinking "there is much more to this"?

A suit can either be "I am a cog in a machine which makes me wear this" or "after this fine cigar and martini, I'm going to grab you by the shoulders and fuck your brains out until your knees are trembling so hard you can barely stand." (in a good way - not talking about a rapist here)

How do you emphasise the latter? There is nothing about me that's the former. In what I do, the dress code is "cover your genitals". In fact, bathing is optional, to my dismay....
    That would be rather hot to see the styles mix actually. Makes a girl want to know more I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SyntheticShock
    That would be rather hot to see the styles mix actually. Makes a girl want to know more I guess.
    Look at you BP, working your mojo...Haha!

SynthShock is on a completely different coast, AK...

Mojo is something I don't have, but I've been told once someone sees that in me and gets me into ahem compromising situations, it's well worth it.

Arm length is 32-33 "....I think that's what the measurement means...Maybe that's waist-size, but shirts that fit me most comfortable have a 17 " neck (although I could probably go 16 1/2 but I like space if you know what I mean)and then state 32-33" underneath the neck size.. Waist is 33 ". My gut is bigger than my waist. I weigh about 165 Lbs.

Hmmm... my suggestion would try to find a double breasted suit with wider shoulders. I naturally need that because I have very broad shoulders and a much slimmer waist, but on someone who is carrying some extra pounds, a vertical pinstripe tapering towards the center, plus the double breasted suit, would make you look more V-shaped, but powerful. Just don't go overboard or you'll look like you're one of those 80s women with shoulder pads.

Whatever you do, get it to fit, if it fits strangely and the top button pulls the fabric oddly the whole thing will look frumpy. Go to a place with someone with an eye, and if necessary, pay the small amount to have the button moved.

10-4...Man, is that a cheesy line or what?

It is rather Ashton Kutcher in a meshback cap with a sparkle iron on T-shirt... but then again, that cat can pull it off.

It is rather Ashton Kutcher in a meshback cap with a sparkle iron on T-shirt... but then again, that cat can pull it off.
    You know, Justin Timberlake says he pulled that look off first. Just goes to show you how fucking vain and INDESCRIBABLE Hollywood really is.

I like JT.

Dude showed up on kids TV award shows and let himself be doused in water and slimed to make the kids laugh, and endured silly costumes and fart jokes for their amusement.

He's also gone out on a limb acting, and went from boy band to as one person succinctly put it, honorary black man doing his recent sexy songs. Cause he's conquered urban radio as well as the tween set.

And apparently a nice guy.

Oh...My son watches the whole "Nick" awards and it's true. He does put himself out there, BUT....really...Fighting over who made the mesh cap, fad? Shit....There's 100's of thousands of truck drivers thinking..."Are you shitting me?"

Me...I'm Mr. pale skin whitey, originally from NY....Mesh caps? Not my deal. It just amazes me how Hollywood types drama over all this shit. Wanna know who really made this look WORK? Look no further than the gangstas in rap. They been pulling off this look for like 10 years.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Smokin' BP! I do love a man in a good suit

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    Smokin' BP! I do love a man in a good suit
    See! I fuckin' told ya! I don't think the kind of woman on here wants a dude in a suit ALL the time...Borrrring, but....they appreciate it when we do.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I think you are confusing a man with The Man.

suits are for federal employees, funeral directors, yuppie businessmen and james bond.

only one of those is cool.

Hey, I've got to make up for my huge personality flaws somehow.

Clothes work.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

whenever I wear a suit I get the urge to steal everything that isn't bolted down and stab a few people, just for good measure, because I feel like I can get away with anything.

I don't remember ever seeing a guy in a suit getting beaten in the back of the skull with a batton on COPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I think you are confusing a man with The Man.

suits are for federal employees, funeral directors, yuppie businessmen and james bond.

only one of those is cool.
    This PRECISELY why I dress like an IRS agent most of the time.

Nobody's gonna look twice at The Man.

BP-This what I'm talking about, good job dude!

Remember back a couple of months ago when you were saying crap like "I'm too ugly for any girl to ever like me", and shit like that?

I seriously considered yelling at you. I figured so long as you were reasonably symmetrical, and didn't smell like a septic tank girls weren't going to object to how you looked.

We hadn't really seen any pictures of you yet at that point, but from what you posted I knew you knew how to work out, so a beer gut (if you had one) was just a matter of some applied effort.

Personality flaws might be something else, but now that I've seen pic's I know it's not your face. (you look like every other dude I know who's getting laid.) (which is to say, you look like a dude.)

Congrats on the recent weight loss! Care to share anything useful about that with the rest of us? I always like hearing stories about folks improving their health.

Thanks for the tips on getting sweet thread too.

Good job!

I wasn't talking about my physical appearance, but I am an ugly human being, BF.

As for weight loss - sure. Cut drinking COMPLETELY out, ate food I made myself, and made sure that I ate a good carby meal or two every two or three days so as not to burn out. Took a supplement called Hot-Rox and changed my workouts to be short, sharp, and intense.

The local gym got kettlebells, so I incorporated cleans, snatches, and bent presses, ballistically executed. With a 56lb k-bell, that's some work.

My thumb hurts from pressing my remote control.....

+ Reply to Thread