+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do You Have A Kilt?

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Do You Have A Kilt?

Ive just put my name Williams into scotclans and got the Gunn clan. I like the motto, Either Peace or War, but I would have to ask my mum about the other clan relations.

No, but I've got a few skirts.

Also, I will mercilessly ridicule any male that wears or buys a skirt but doesn't have the guts to call it that.

DonkeyMoses's Avatar Senior Member

Actually, a sarrong is a specific type of skirt that wraps around and tyes. That's mostly what I have right now. It's been years since I had an actual "skirt" that looked good on me. So no, not all things of it's ilk are skirts. Most people feel, though, that the word skirt implies gender, like blouse. It's really more of a difference in the actual garment, though. Like a dress is different than a skirt.

Blouse doesn't imply gender. I can put on a blouse; that doesn't cause it to stop being a blouse, or me to stop being male.

The idea that a skirt or sarong is distinct from a skirt by virtue of form isn't inherently absurd like the idea of defining it by gender, but I wouldn't agree with it regardless. Most people I've seen use the term seem to consider a skirt to be an umrella term for any article of clothing consisting exclusively or predominantly of a layer of fabric encircling both legs to an extend from the waist down. A dress doesn't fall under this desription, but sarongs, kilts and a whole load of other types of skirts do.

Rather, it seems to me that sarongs and kilts can be distinguished by culture; that is, their traditional roles and uses are different, even though their form and mechanics are not. This may be a cause for people to want to distinguish them, but it's hardly a good reason - people should just stop being dumb and sexist and accept that it's perfectly viable for a male to wear a skirt.

DoctorZ's Avatar Senior Member

Have you ever realized that the Scottish culture practically was MADE to annoy and/or disgust outsiders?

Bagpipes, men in skirts, haggis, giant muscly men half naked swinging huge fucking swords at you, etc.

That's why I love the whole damn thing.

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    someone post a link so i can look up my family name.

This is where I found all the Anderson Tartans. Just go to "Tartans" and punch in your family name. They can make a mini kilt or a classic kilt in your family tartan.

http://www.kiltstore.net/

babyswitchblade's Avatar Candy Perfume Girl

Gah, my surname wasn't in their database! That's fucked! We have our own tartan, I've seen it!

Vexbeast's Avatar Eat me, I'm nutritious.

I wear my Deftones flag as a skirt.

Because I'm all... "DEFTONES PRIDE! YEAH!"

Does anyone else here want a schenti?

Quote Originally Posted by babyswitchblade
    Gah, my surname wasn't in their database! That's fucked! We have our own tartan, I've seen it!

It wasn't in their database? What a crummy website! Let's sue them. I work in a law firm. All the attorneys are my dear friends... Let's sue them for mental cruelty, and false advertising and trauma as a result of loss of tartan status...

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    It wasn't in their database? What a crummy website! Let's sue them. I work in a law firm. All the attorneys are my dear friends... Let's sue them for mental cruelty, and false advertising and trauma as a result of loss of tartan status...
    Hahaha that'd be awesome!
    I've got Scottish, Irish and English blood, so you'd think at least one of those would have my surname in their database.
    Plus, my family has bought our tartan before, so I know it exists!!! lol

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZ
    Have you ever realized that the Scottish culture practically was MADE to annoy and/or disgust outsiders?

Bagpipes, men in skirts, haggis, giant muscly men half naked swinging huge fucking swords at you, etc.

That's why I love the whole damn thing.
    Haggis is awesome. And don't you forget it.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    don't fool yourself. most irish and scotish cuisine is based on a dare; as in I dare you to eat that.

Don't forget the Germans, Voltaire! Them and their damn black pudding.... look, if I wanted to have a diet based on blood, I'd have become a vampire...

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    At my debutante ball, which was a traditional Scottish event, it was my first encounter with haggis. It was the 'traditional flaming haggis' and it fucking smelt like burning plastic. I almost threw up all over my nice white dress.

At my debutante ball, which was a traditional Scottish event, it was my first encounter with haggis. It was the 'traditional flaming haggis' and it fucking smelt like burning plastic. I almost threw up all over my nice white dress.
    Hah! Really? Is it that bad? I still want to try it... I had the traditional English breakfast at Amberley Castle and I LOVED the black pudding...

I love tripe and weird things like that. I still want to try haggis...

So you are a debutante goth girl? Awesome!!!! This must be a first! Shouldn't you be attending fund raisers dalling... I always wanted to be a debutante...Maybe there is still time. I could be a sort of deathly dead debutante... Wait, I think I already am...?

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    So you are a debutante goth girl? Awesome!!!! This must be a first! Shouldn't you be attending fund raisers dalling... I always wanted to be a debutante...Maybe there is still time. I could be a sort of deathly dead debutante... Wait, I think I already am...?
    It's not really so much like a miss showgirl thing... I don't have to do anything after the deb ball, it's more just an excuse to learn ballroom dancing and get dolled up while the olds cheep and clap for your 'entrance into adulthood'... although I was 16 when I did it.

Hahaha I never really considered myself a debutante goth girl. That's kinda funny when you put it that way!!

It's not really so much like a miss showgirl thing... I don't have to do anything after the deb ball, it's more just an excuse to learn ballroom dancing and get dolled up while the olds cheep and clap for your 'entrance into adulthood'... although I was 16 when I did it.

Hahaha I never really considered myself a debutante goth girl. That's kinda funny when you put it that way!!
    But that is so cool! I think it's great! I always wanted to do that.... I still want some Haggis... Hey, in California, your entrance into adulthood consists of taking drugs with some 14 year old boy in his room downstairs,and then his mother begrudgiingly drives you home. after what consisted of your first very weird, awkward, and unsexy sexual experience......

You are blessed... If only I could have been a Scottish goth debutante...!!! Be proud of your debutanteness!!! I would have LOVED to have done that, as silly as it may have seemed to you....

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

I think kilts are retarted and fugly. -Thistle

that's just my opinion though..

DoctorZ's Avatar Senior Member

... The guy who wears pig-face masks, and fucks... SOMETHING, won't wear a man-skirt?

+ Reply to Thread