+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What do you think the best MP3 player is?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default What do you think the best MP3 player is?

Putting aside the hype, what in your own personal experience is the best mp3 player on the market today?

I have a couple of the Sony Walkman models imported from Japan, which is a drag because the radio settings are all wrong. They are not the most recent models either and the PC library management software for them is pretty roundly terrible. I tend to be potentially unreasonably biased against Apple products these days too, at least since they decided being smug cunts low on facts high on snark was good marketing.

Creative Zen? iRiver? iPod?Zune?

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Re: What do you think the best MP3 player is?

I found iPod to be seamless.

episode allah's Avatar iconoclast

I've had a few. I currently have an ipod nano and a creative zen 80GB. I really like the Zen but i hardly use it anymore since it weighs a ton. I actually don't like tiny electronic gadgets, i like dedicated devices (individual cameras, phones and mp3 players) which won't get lost easily and which have a 'solid' feeling to them. That’s why i was surprised that the Zen really does feel too big and uncomfortable in my pocket. It is cool though and i like that you can chose your own background wallpaper. I got the nano 8gb as an alternative to the Zen and i'm really impressed. The only thing which pisses me off is trying to synchronize it with itunes: all i want to do is easily select or even drag and drop the songs into my mp3 player, not create a playlist first or automatically synchronize shite.

oh yeh. and i've only heard bad things about the zune...

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I'd kind of like something I could put the music I already own on though. I don't actually buy music much at all anymore. Much of it is sent to me for review, much of it still the old fashioned way. I'd rather check it out at the gym than have to sit at my pc for it.

Smallest , lightest and maneuverable is the way to go. I own Creative Zen and I'm satisfied with it.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

I tend to be really hard on my mp3 players and I've ended up smashing a couple by accident. The Creative models I had were nice enough but not durable at all.

Now I have a Zune and I like it a lot. It's very durable, the software's easy to use and intuitive, and you can use music from anywhere and transfer it from comp to comp or to other zunes.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

I have an iPod. I like it. It blocks out the world around me..which means it's working!

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Ipod really is pretty seamless if you have a mac. I do not recommend them for pc users at all. Another issue: I would buy the 160 gig ipod even if you don't have that much uploaded or digital downloads, it's bad news when your collection exceeds your ipod memory out of the gate. If you are/become a major audiophile, it is much easier to adjust your playlist later. I lost some of my tunes trying to do a transfer.

OEC

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I'd kind of like something I could put the music I already own on though. I don't actually buy music much at all anymore. Much of it is sent to me for review, much of it still the old fashioned way. I'd rather check it out at the gym than have to sit at my pc for it.
    exactly! I guess that people are now just used to getting all their music from downloads. most people I know, myself included, are downloading albums that we already have, just for the express purpose of putting them on an mp3 player because it's less of a hassle then trying to dig through the CD collection and then upload it. Now repeat 500 times.

Most people just don't get it. I want to know how I am supposed to put my cassette tapes on my ipod? haha. I got some good stuff on there.

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

The only one I own is an ipod and I like it, but its time for an upgrade as its a few years old already.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    You can convert formats. I don't know that it'd be worth the bother to you though. I know lp to mp3 is a fairly instant process. I have no idea regarding cassettes. You may well be better off with a multiformat player or a combination of an mp3 player and portable cd player. You're talking hours and hours for conversions man, I did it with my cds (the easiest format at that).

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I want to know how I am supposed to put my cassette tapes on my ipod?
    actually not that tough. get an audio interface. beringer is good.

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    I would buy the 160 gig ipod even if you don't have that much uploaded or digital downloads, it's bad news when your collection exceeds your ipod memory out of the gate.
    This is my problem and I hate the way it auto-synchronizes. i mean i have music that i want in my library but not on my ipod but apple makes it really tough to do anything but auto-synchronize. do you have this problem too?

Quote Originally Posted by episode allah
    This is my problem and I hate the way it auto-synchronizes. i mean i have music that i want in my library but not on my ipod but apple makes it really tough to do anything but auto-synchronize. do you have this problem too?
    I do it manually. I would tend to agree that it is a pain, but it is doable. It really is rough having an ipod with memory under your collection though. You can do it, but it would take you hours literally checking and unchecking manually what you want.

There may be a simpler way, but I don't know what it is.

OEC

Eep. Coincidently, yesterday, my creative zen jukebox (first and only MP3 player I've ever had) has recently started to malfunction after ~5 years of a stable relationship. There are sooooo many choices, I don't know who to go to. I've narrowed it down to the Creative Zen, iRiver Clix, Sony Walkman, and Zune 30. Such a hard decision!

Stay away from the iRivers. They're garbage

I've recently been thinking of getting an MP3... I just can't stand the thought of shelling out for an iPod though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    Stay away from the iRivers. They're garbage
    What has been your experience with iRivers?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I have an old sony, it still works fine, I dont really like it though................I'm thinking of getting a zune

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alias
    What has been your experience with iRivers?
    I bought one a few years back. Don't remember the exact model. It did what it said it was going to, but it was about as durable as an egg. The first small bump it took it exploded like there was C4 inside.

I can recommend it, as long as you're not looking forward to moving or shaking it at all.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

mp3 player whats that... I still use CDs... I need one, that is tough will not break if I happen to drop, scratch, or forklift runs over it.. I had a few that doesnt meet those requirments

Vexbeast's Avatar Eat me, I'm nutritious.

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    If you are/become a major audiophile, it is much easier to adjust your playlist later. I lost some of my tunes trying to do a transfer.
    Hah~ That's the first time I've heard anyone else use the term 'audiophile'. XD

I agree it's good to have all your tracks in your playlist. I've lost some things during transfer...

I really need to get The Living End's State Of Emergency back. I actually bought that at retail price. <.<

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    Most people just don't get it. I want to know how I am supposed to put my cassette tapes on my ipod? haha. I got some good stuff on there.
    You shouldn't even need anything in order to do that. Most mp3 players will have a record function and a line-in jack you can plug into a stereo's headphone jack. I've recorded a few things like that, though admittedly it's somewhat of a hassle.

For mp3 players, I've had an iAudio M3 (predecessor to the iRiver) and a Creative MuVo. The M3 annoyed the hell out of me though. For someone like me, who literally has headphones on all day, a lithium-ion battery (The kind you'll find in any mp3 player bigger than 2gig) is no good. That's why I bought my 2Gb MuVo. Although my playlist is -much- smaller now (M3 is 20Gb), being able to use rechargable AAA's is a godsend. I never have to worry about it running flat now.

I never had a problem with the iAudio's durability, but the battery was shit. Although the best thing about the iAudio and iRiver is they use -extremely- good software. (Creative products tend to be in high-regard for their software too). I hate mp3 players that use crappy software, but the M3 comes with jetAudio, which you can also install onto your computer. (There is a free version you can download too, which should cater to all the average person's needs. Or you can download the registered version illegally, if you're that way inclined. ;D Just google 'jetAudio download' )

If you're looking for something though, you have to talk to someone who knows what they're talking about -AND- specify what you need. That, of course, is very important, because there is no ultimate mp3 player that will make everyone happy. (And if there was, it would make their wallets severely depressed...)

For example, I wouldn't suggest iPods to anyone, because I hate the software. But a lot of people don't care about the software at all...

Ali Stardust's Avatar Member

i have and ipod nano 3rd Generation and i love it
    BUT i absolutely despise itunes it just never wants to cooperate with me

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

my Iphone... ;P but besdies that, i dont really listen to music on an mp3player or anything but I had this one by Samsung T9 I belive..it was like a mini ipod and I loved it!! i got it for free and i sold it to someone on craigslist when I got my iphone

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I have an iPod Nano, older generation. Not much memory...Like 2 gigs or something. You can't play videos on it, but I guess I'm old Skool because for the life of me, I just don't want to stare at a tiny screen to watch shit. It does exactly what I need it to do....Be very compact and play lots of songs. I use iTunes, but unlike Ali, I've never had too many problems with it...Although both the iPod and iTunes could be alot more user friendly. My iPod didn't even come with any instructions and the Apple website also doesn't have the most user friendly instructions for it. I actually won the iPod a couple of years ago in a $1.00 raffle. It's the only thing I've ever won...

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I just got a zune and it's pretty straightforward to do everything with...........got a 50 dollar trade in from bestbuy on my real old sony

+ Reply to Thread