+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Public school systems.

Default Public school systems.

It may be just My opinion, but I think that over the past decade or so, schools have gone WAY downhill.

They tried new types of learning since the end of the 80's, but those methods seem to be worse, and not as effective of the methods of the 70's and 80's.

Why do they not go back to the way that works, instead of the junk they teach today.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: Public school systems.

Well given that I went to school IN the 90's I'm well aware that they are awful at the High School Level but my opinion has always been you get the best teachers and methods at the grade school and jr. high level with High School being the most ignored and filled with broken teachers.

I think the methods and smarts are there but no real drive....lets face it...High School Students are real handfuls and a massive hassle. A volitale age mixed with pressure that makes no sense...how can you tell them to act like adults and treat them like kids?

In H.S. I had two excellent teachers out of the dozens I went through...that seems to be the real average...and that has to change. Pay teachers more I say but make damn sure they KNOW their job with MANDATORY testing like they do in ALL professional fields.

But with the teachers union so corrupt and intrested in anything but education nothing dramatic will change...you want a good educational system in this country? Dismantle the Teachers Union...it's a dinosaur that simply breaks more than it creates.

Almost all of the teachers I have ever had taught Me nothing, just sat there reading a newspaper, and could have had their job filled by a skunk on crack.

I taught Myself to Read,Write, and most of the other school type stuff.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar

I taught Myself to Read,Write, and most of the other school type stuff.
    Ok lets not get silly now...

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Ok lets not get silly now...
    I did. The main way they taught Me was to set a book in front of Me, tell Me to read that , and do the work.

As for why I taught Myself to read, thats a different story completely. (Wanted to know what the people were saying in RPG type video games, like the Legend Of Zelda.)

Anyways, This thread is about the public school systems, so lets try to stay on topic.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    As for why I taught Myself to read, thats a different story completely. (Wanted to know what the people were saying in RPG type video games, like the Legend Of Zelda.)
    Right...yeah I taught myself masterbation to get the most out of Cinemax as a kid.

Come on man...kids cannot teach themselves how to read..adults yes...but not kids.

Even though it sounds like bs, it is true.

I still suck at even basic math and people skills though.

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Oh yeah. Teachers don't get to tell our politicians what's working and what is not. We make students pay for way too much and give very little college incentive (can you say "it's debt time?"). Programs like "Head Start" don't even exist in some states and the backdoors to debt are everywhere (taking college grants out in the aforementioned program). If you can read and communicate well enough, I would advise going to college as soon as you can and self-education in your spare time. Because high schools grow to be the larger joke as time goes on. Regardless of how many good educational ideas we may have, we have implemented so few and decided throwing money in all sorts of directions will solve our problems (in my opinion).

+ Reply to Thread