+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: What a dumbass

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Default What a dumbass

ASHEVILLE, N.C. - You can call her CutoutDissection.com, Cutout for short, but just don't call her Jennifer.

The former Jennifer Thornburg — whose driver's license now reads Dissection.com, Cutout — wanted to do something to protest animal dissections in schools.

The 19-year-old's new name is also the Web address for an anti-dissection page of the site for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, where she is interning.

"I normally do have to repeat my name several times when I am introducing myself to someone new," she told The Asheville Citizen-Times. "Once they find out what my name is, they want to know more about what the Web site is about."

The Asheville High School graduate who's working in Virginia said she began opposing dissections in middle school after a class assignment to cut up a chicken wing made her uncomfortable. She helped create a policy at her high school that allows students who object to dissections to complete an alternative assignment.

Despite her legally changing the name, she said most of her family members still call her Jennifer.

"It will take me a while," said her dad, Duane Thornburg, who lives in Daytona Beach, Fla. "She's still Jennifer to me. I understand why she's done it. Believe it or not, I totally respect it."

A CD showing the treatment of animals before they are dissected finally convinced him to support his daughter's cause, he said.

Blitz's Avatar mydickisinthewhatnow?

Default Re: What a dumbass

mmmmmmmmmmm.................chicken wings,i love'em,but she's doing something she thinks is righteous,i say thats cool,godspeed.(but i still like chicken wings)

What are you talking about Rockwulf?

It's brilliant, sell your name to a website, have them pay you to walk around introducing yourself as "Hi my name is Spookycash.com", it's pure genius. Wait a minute.....

...she didn't SELL her name, she did this for free?

What a dumbass.

but y change ur fucken name to that shit?

I say 1 for Cutout 0 for Rockwulf.

if that's gonna make her sick, wait till she starts her period.

yuk!!!!!!

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Not to be nit-picky.. but she would have to be ugly.

People have been doing this dumb shit for years. If memory serves there was a national guardsman who changed his name to Optimus Prime a couple years back.

I bet she sticks with it for like six months and then gets really tired of this conversation at bars:

"Hey, I'm Mike, what's your name?"
    "I'm Cutout."
    "What?"
    "Cutout, my name is Cutout."
    "Uh, is that like an Indian name?"
    "No, I just wanted to represent this website about animals and...."
    *guy walks away*

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

*agrees with rockwulf*
    that's fucking stupid. in a few years she'll be hating herself.
    this is why peta sucks. (ok, one reason.)
    i'm a pescatarian (if you want to be picky about that sort of thing) and i'm very much interested in animal rights. i don't eat meat unless it's in fish form. i'm against dissection. i don't like to buy leather new (used is ok, it's already been sold and worn, so wtf.) i avoid buying cosmetics from companies that test on animals. etc.
    but am i going to go around supporting an organization like peta? am i going to change my name to a website? hell no, that's stupid. and it makes people think the issue of animals rights is something to be treated lightly. yeah, they'll ask about the website out of politeness then immediately forget about it/think all animals right people are nutjobs. that's if they don't just laugh at her for being retarded.

If you're not against buying leather that's already been bought, why would you be against disecting a chicken wing that the school probably got from a Purdue Family Pack?

because it's gross.
    and what about the poor innocent animals? like frogs and pig brains and such.
    second-hand leather is a completely different thing.
    and if i lived somewhere cold like alaska or the netherlands, i'd probably wear second-hand fur for warmth.
    something that's been dead for years and years isn't really going to miss it and i'm not supporting *further* killing of animals. it's ok to kill something that's been dead for at least a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by soma_stardust
    it's ok to kill something that's been dead for at least a decade.
    HAHAHAHAHHHAHAHHAH Did you actually just say that?

yes. yes i did. my feeble attempt at humour.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I feel her pain. I want to help. Do you think if I changed my name to "Ihaveahugepenis" that might help a little in her plight? No? Oh well, I think I might do it anyway. Maybe it'll help my plight.

Hey Rockwulf...Maybe you should change your name to "The douchebag formally known as Rockwulf". Hahaha!

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think it's kinda cool what she did.

I didn't change my name to protest dissection in high school. For one thing, I was a college junior when I was 19 like Cutout here. But I did give up a science award for refusing to dissect fetal pigs or vivisect frogs. They kept trying to convince me that it wouldn't be all that gross, but that was not the point at all. I am not particularly squeamish. I thought what they were doing to the animals was immoral.

With all the modern media we have, it is totally unnecessary to have high school students perform vivisections or dissections. Given the way the animals are treated either beforehand or at the time, I think it is wrong. Human knowledge would not suffer through use of books, video, sculpture, etc.

Not oh no I am girl, grody grody wrong. Morally wrong.

I eat meat and animal products like eggs, but I do pay extra for things like free range and more humane slaughter methods and I don't eat things like foie gras because of how the animals are treated for how they are made.

Mind you, if Blitz thinks a 19-year-old woman doesn't know what it is like to have her period, we might need to work on improving science education in schools regardless.

i was just joking bout the period thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz
    i was just joking bout the period thing.

Phew

all i meant was she was being a little girl about the whole thing.
    i think there's more righteous things she could be making a point about if she's gonna change her name,i mean c'mon,it's a
    fucking chicken wing! But i do feel really bad about all those chicken wing's going to waste........tasty........delicious..........
    fall off the bone chicken wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz
    all i meant was she was being a little girl about the whole thing.
    i think there's more righteous things she could be making a point about if she's gonna change her name,i mean c'mon,it's a
    fucking chicken wing! But i do feel really bad about all those chicken wing's going to waste........tasty........delicious..........
    fall off the bone chicken wings.

I think y'all are missing her point. Being a little girl about it would be being squicked out. Her concern was for animal rights and her stance was a moral one.

I don't like my chicken wings with fall off the bone meat because I prefer them crispy. I'm definitely not a vegetarian. I actually personally require a pretty high protein diet or I get all depressed.

But I still took the same stand as this girl in high school when dissection came up, albeit through different means.

I don't think it is the most important moral issue of our time. As issues go, it ranks pretty low on my personal list these days. I certainly wouldn't dislike someone for having a different view. But I do think it is cool that she took a moral stand for what she believes in. More people should do that.

yea, u'r right, i even said at the start that she was righteous, but don't you think change'n her name was a little extreme?

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

changing ones name to protest something = good

changing ones name to advertise a website = bad

i cant wait until she goes and gets a cutoutdissection.com tattoo.

I'm always torn on animal rights. On one hand, I realise that most - if not all - arguments arguing the need for ethical treatment of human beings apply to other lifeforms as well, either completely or only arbitrarily less. Only moral absolutes and abstractions get away with serving only a randomly distinguished demographic like 'humanity'. Speciesism is definitely today's single most prominent form of discrimination, followed by ageism within humanity - the stuff we're 'tackling' and growing aware of today - discrimination on skin color, sex, body type, etc - is a fairly minor tip of the iceberg of what we have hiding in plain sight.

On the other hand, I'm a rather morbid person, and a big fan of cutting living things into pieces for food, learning or entertainment. And as a pragmatic hedonist, I find only too little reason to live by idealist ethics when I can benefit from offenses that society is structurally set up to ignore. An argument could be made from an aestheticist POV, but that provides only an arbitrary quantity of potential value and isn't conclusive unless I feel like it.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think it's kinda cool what she did.

I didn't change my name to protest dissection in high school. For one thing, I was a college junior when I was 19 like Cutout here. But I did give up a science award for refusing to dissect fetal pigs or vivisect frogs. They kept trying to convince me that it wouldn't be all that gross, but that was not the point at all. I am not particularly squeamish. I thought what they were doing to the animals was immoral.

With all the modern media we have, it is totally unnecessary to have high school students perform vivisections or dissections. Given the way the animals are treated either beforehand or at the time, I think it is wrong. Human knowledge would not suffer through use of books, video, sculpture, etc.

Not oh no I am girl, grody grody wrong. Morally wrong.

I eat meat and animal products like eggs, but I do pay extra for things like free range and more humane slaughter methods and I don't eat things like foie gras because of how the animals are treated for how they are made.

Mind you, if Blitz thinks a 19-year-old woman doesn't know what it is like to have her period, we might need to work on improving science education in schools regardless.

When I was in school, I dissected a worm, a crayfish, a frog, and a pig fetus. All these living things were killed in the name of Science so I could see what they looked like on the inside. Why? I mean, really, why? I never said that when I go to college my major would be biology or pre-med. I think it's all a waste of life. I don't think dissections of anything should occur until you go to college and then, only if your major requires it and you can actually get some kind of learning from it that will help you later in the career you're working towards. Other than that...Yeah....check out pictures printed in a book or a web site for class. I mean, they also teach us about the male and female anatomy, yet, I don't remember have to dissect a human to understand what I was looking at on the graphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    When I was in school, I dissected a worm, a crayfish, a frog, and a pig fetus. All these living things were killed in the name of Science so I could see what they looked like on the inside. Why? I mean, really, why? I never said that when I go to college my major would be biology or pre-med. I think it's all a waste of life. I don't think dissections of anything should occur until you go to college and then, only if your major requires it and you can actually get some kind of learning from it that will help you later in the career you're working towards. Other than that...Yeah....check out pictures printed in a book or a web site for class. I mean, they also teach us about the male and female anatomy, yet, I don't remember have to dissect a human to understand what I was looking at on the graphs.

Now I wanna dissect a person.

Find some dumbass named "Cutout". The irony would be fucking amazing.

Now I wanna dissect a person.
    This is what I'm talking about. I may not be as leery about wasting animal life as I should be, but fuck me if I'm inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    Find some dumbass named "Cutout". The irony would be fucking amazing.

Good point, man.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Quote Originally Posted by soma_stardust
    i'm a pescatarian .
    I kind of feel bad for picking on you, but what is a pescetarian? so what you really mean is that you are a fussy eater. I fail to see how that warrants it's own distinction. what do you call people that don't eat asparagus?

also I'm pretty stumped on why you think it's ok to kill fish, but wrong to kill amphibians. is this based on a preference over aquatic habitat? are you an aquatarian? so is it Ok to kill whales? or is it based on intelligence. a whale is more intelligent than a dog, so is it wrong to kill and eat dogs? I don't see how you can say that you shouldn't eat a dog. also do you eat bugs? you really should eat some bugs. they have the lowermost intelligence, and some of them live in the water.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

She should be glad that she wasn't in my Biology class when we were dissecting fetal pigs.

I think I told this story here before.. but that was a while back...

I cooked some chicken hearts, and brought them to school with me. As I was making cuts and pulling out organs.. I reached into my jacket pocket, and palmed some the chicken hearts..

I then reached into the pig, and started popping the chicken hearts into my mouth. Of course, a couple of girls puked, and one feinted.. and YES, I got into trouble over that one.. But it was good clean fun. and no one got hurt.

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

Quote Originally Posted by Bondage Clown
    She should be glad that she wasn't in my Biology class when we were dissecting fetal pigs.

I think I told this story here before.. but that was a while back...

I cooked some chicken hearts, and brought them to school with me. As I was making cuts and pulling out organs.. I reached into my jacket pocket, and palmed some the chicken hearts..

I then reached into the pig, and started popping the chicken hearts into my mouth. Of course, a couple of girls puked, and one feinted.. and YES, I got into trouble over that one.. But it was good clean fun. and no one got hurt.
    i had a friend do something like that in Anat/Phys with a human"wet model".... roast beef right out of the chest cavity... (after a few years in formaldehyde cadavers get greyish) hell i knew it was gonna happen an i still almost threw up... then we all got in a heap of shit for it...

I don't like my chicken wings with fall off the bone meat because I prefer them crispy. I'm definitely not a vegetarian. I actually personally require a pretty high protein diet or I get all depressed.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    I'm always torn on animal rights. On one hand, I realise that most - if not all - arguments arguing the need for ethical treatment of human beings apply to other lifeforms as well, either completely or only arbitrarily less. Only moral absolutes and abstractions get away with serving only a randomly distinguished demographic like 'humanity'. Speciesism is definitely today's single most prominent form of discrimination, followed by ageism within humanity - the stuff we're 'tackling' and growing aware of today - discrimination on skin color, sex, body type, etc - is a fairly minor tip of the iceberg of what we have hiding in plain sight.
    Again same here. Damn, I get sad if I accidentally step on a ant. Really.

P.S. I'm perfecting a way to say as much as possible with as less as possible effort.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

chicken hearts are tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    chicken hearts are tasty.
    VB FTW!

DonkeyMoses's Avatar Senior Member

I'm gonna change my name to chickenwing.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

heh............chickenwingmoses..............catch y ring to that

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    heh............chickenwingmoses..............catch y ring to that
    Is it wrong that I just imagined a big black guy in my head?

DonkeyMoses's Avatar Senior Member

Wrong, maybe. Funny, definately. Sounds like a bar-b-que joint.

Ubiquitress's Avatar Senior Member

oh no! that would make me the bride of chickenwingmoses!!!hahahahahah!

darkamor's Avatar Member
    U.K. (Dover) / O.C.(behind the orange curtain)

I'm definitely an Animal Rights supporter, so I applaud her efforts in gaining attention about what is taking place on campuses all over the U.S. of F'n A. (you would think by now that there were more options for students in the event they do not want to dissect an animal so that they can maintain their grade point average, nooooooo - imagine dealing with this and a red neck environment - ouch!).

It may appear silly to have your name changed, however one can change it back anytime they want to (in the end, is it silly to seek a change in gender along with a name change? I think not) ....

The important matter is that Jennifer took a stand, made a point and perhaps over time she can continue to do something worthwhile in various ways (I did during those Hurricanes by helping bestfriends.org rescue animals and or get them back to their owners who had to uproot themselves) .....

~(^)~

+ Reply to Thread