+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have you noticed the election making Americans more jerky this week?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Have you noticed the election making Americans more jerky this week?

Have you noticed the election making Americans more jerky this week? It seems like there is an uptick this week in general jerkiness and stress and hypersensitivity this week. I really hope it clears up after tomorrow. I don't think everyone in the USA just simultaneously turned into jerks, but it does seem like people are pretty worked up about the skyrocketing cost of living coupled with plunging revenues and corporate welfare and just general political differences. I went to buy a loaf of bread today and the bakery had politically-themed cupcakes and a couple of the bakery dudes were practically coming to blows over which candidates supported Prop 8 in California. Anyone else think this malaise is politics-related?

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Re: Have you noticed the election making Americans more jerky this week?

No more or less than usual...

Ubiquitress's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Have you noticed the election making Americans more jerky this week?

stretched thin or perhaps just overstimulated a bit by the media,the local population here does seem to be a tad cranky lately . However I dont know that the election being over will stop it ,it seems that it will calm down only when there is aleviation of the symptoms of our current situation.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

sorry, i tried to start taking a new medication this past week. it was Abilify, and it made me way more jittery.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitress
    stretched thin or perhaps just overstimulated a bit by the media,the local population here does seem to be a tad cranky lately . However I dont know that the election being over will stop it ,it seems that it will calm down only when there is aleviation of the symptoms of our current situation.
    I believe you are dead on with this comment.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

sure, it's because as bad as Bush was, at least after 8 years we all knew where we stood. Now we are going to be getting fucked in new ways and we don't know what they are going to be.

I don't feel like any more of a jerk than usual (I know- how would you be able to tell?)

As long as I don't stay up till 5am drinking greetea, and reading political blogs I'm pretty much on an even keel.

I do seem to be expressing myself over the net in a more fucking hostile, and petty fashion, despite my natural sunny disposition I've noticed.

No excuses, I'm doing really well IRL.

Now kindly go fuck yourselves everybody.

DoctorZ's Avatar Senior Member

I would, but I can't reach yet.

Call back in a few years.

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

Americans are sexy
    *Edit - the sexy ones anyway for sure... like... ... ...

I want some green tea. and tacos.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    I believe you are dead on with this comment.
    +1

Not really; just more inexplicably focused on the dreadfully tedious family relations of the candidates.

Ali Stardust's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I want some green tea. and tacos.

mmm green tea

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    Have you noticed the election making Americans more jerky this week? It seems like there is an uptick this week in general jerkiness and stress and hypersensitivity this week. I really hope it clears up after tomorrow. I don't think everyone in the USA just simultaneously turned into jerks, but it does seem like people are pretty worked up about the skyrocketing cost of living coupled with plunging revenues and corporate welfare and just general political differences. I went to buy a loaf of bread today and the bakery had politically-themed cupcakes and a couple of the bakery dudes were practically coming to blows over which candidates supported Prop 8 in California. Anyone else think this malaise is politics-related?
    Absolutely, not! Not that it's any of your fucking business anyway! Eat a dick, bitch!

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

the real question i have is:

is anyone prepared for rioting? regardless of the outcome of the election...

case in point... LAPD were prepared for riots if OJ was found guilty... he was acquitted... riots ensued... LAPD was surprised (they were informed of the verdict before it was released and stood down some of the units on standby)

a friend of mine in LAPD said they expect riots either way... same in Chigago and a few other cities...

that blows my mind and i hope that they are wrong!

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I'll be happy tomorrow regardless of who wins. I'm just sick of this at this point. They both voted for the bailout. I do hope there is no rioting. I have shit I need to get done.

OEC

PS: Prop 8 needs to go down in brutal defeat. Silly people.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

If thats true I wish I was back in Chicago. I always wanted to be a part of a riot.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    If thats true I wish I was back in Chicago. I always wanted to be a part of a riot.
    We should both get black helicopters just to toy with people.

OEC

Definitely... this shit became lame recently.

Ubiquitress's Avatar Senior Member

I am hoping there are no riots but if they happened here people would probably wait until tomorrow, after all I live in the capitol of carpe minana.

I hope there are riots. I'm gonna burn down any house with a campaign sign on the lawn, regardless of party affiliation.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Haha...me too!
    Tomorrow you're homeless...tonight it's a blast

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

I do not think the US grown up enough for this election, it has divided the country even more than most election. Even now after I have voted, there is a static charge in the air. In Atlanta there is going to be rioting either way, tonight its not going to be pretty. But, maybe I still have a little hope in the people around me here in Atlanta. Those spots around country will blow up, and the national guard will be call in. Be again lets hope I am wrong and whom ever wins, those support will win with grace. Be kind to your fellow American regardless if he or she is Democrat or Republic in the end we are all Americans.

been in several riots.

they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    been in several riots.

they suck.
    i concur... still have scars from a riot in Bosnia...

been in more than one...

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    We should both get black helicopters just to toy with people.

OEC
    That would be SOOOOO awesome!

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quite frankly I think Americans are too lazy to riot. If there really is any indication of one, it wont get all cool and will fizzle out before it starts.

Quite frankly I think Americans are too lazy to riot. If there really is any indication of one, it wont get all cool and will fizzle out before it starts.
    i guess you don't remember Watts or the LA riots... nothing lazy about those folks...

Watts Riots

Los Angeles riots of 1992

and actually i sort of made a factual error earlier... after the OJ verdict there was a bunch of violence and looting but it was never classified as a riot...

i apologize (got confused by all the election BS on the news and interweb) i blame information overload...

DonkeyMoses's Avatar Senior Member

sure, it's because as bad as Bush was, at least after 8 years we all knew where we stood. Now we are going to be getting fucked in new ways and we don't know what they are going to be.
    I'd gladly trade a toothache I've had for eight solid years for a new pain in the ass.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Yeah back in 1992...16 years ago. So my sentiment still stands.

Yeah back in 1992...16 years ago. So my sentiment still stands.
    good point

I think the cops are always prepared for riots, they love tear gassing people and they also get to beat down with their nightsticks with impunity. it's like Halloween for them.

I think the cops are always prepared for riots, they love tear gassing people and they also get to beat down with their nightsticks with impunity. it's like Halloween for them.
    actually riots suck for cops... i don't know many people in riot-control units that actually like it... rioters can kill you and you are supposed to just prevent them from rioting... see what happens to a cop that kills a rioter... legal nightmare... so the playing field isn't quite fair when each side has different rules... tear gas isn't really that bad it just takes the fight out of you ... but try being a cop who gets hit with a molotov cocktail...

I know the cops in Philly are too lazy to stop a riot. When shit got a little nuts on Broad Street when the Phillies parade went overboard, there were cops just standing there doing nothing 6 feet from people smashing windows and looting stores but my friend went on private property to get out of the noise to hear a cell phone call and a cop crawled up her ass like her colon was the antidote.

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    Tomorrow you're homeless...tonight it's a blast
    hehe "the unbeatable high"

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

It has been a little tense lately. I think it's more the Depression-that-totally-isn't-happening-ask-anyone more than the election. And we all know that the future of our lives as we know it depends on what happens tonight (*dances*) so i'm sure there's a lot of anticipation jitters spicing things up. other than that it seems to be going very smoothly.

~K

I think it's just because people put aside their politics most of the time, but now it's sort of unavoidable, so people are just butting heads over partisan issues.

On another board that I belong to that is mostly comprised of "liberals" there is already a 4 page thread of people that are pissed about the election results.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I think it's just because people put aside their politics most of the time, but now it's sort of unavoidable, so people are just butting heads over partisan issues.

On another board that I belong to that is mostly comprised of "liberals" there is already a 4 page thread of people that are pissed about the election results.

Pissed about some of the likely referendum results or the presidential results?

both, I would think.

I'm really not happy that they decided to basically enact a law here in AZ saying: "just to make it clear, because I don't think you got the idea the first time: fuck gay people!"

+ Reply to Thread