That is all.

Default Re: Obama Won!!!

I hope he don't blow it.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Just finished watching the speeches.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

*does the happy dance* I love it when things go smooth.

~K

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I hope to hell this was the rural counties reporting:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNCC13QR90.DTL

I will be embarassed as a native of California (born, raised, and mutigenerational) should this Proposition pass. It would be a blight on the record of our great state (including striking down miscegenation laws 20 years before the U.S. Supreme Court addressed the issue)

OEC

McCain was gracious in his concession speech. Where the hell was that guy during the campaign?

O-bam's got his work cut out for him now. Things ain't gonna be pretty for a while.

I am hoping that an intelligent, and level headed person in the whitehouse will give us an edge.

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    It would be a blight on the record of our great state
    OEC
    You mean other than Reagan, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    You mean other than Reagan, right?
    Overturning by majority vote a California Supreme Court case of this nature is simply despicable. I said *a* blight not necessarily the only one. Rreagan is irrelevant now. Don't fuck with my rage Buster

OEC

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Overturning by majority vote a California Supreme Court case of this nature is simply despicable. I said *a* blight not necessarily the only one. Rreagan is irrelevant now. Don't fuck with my rage Buster

OEC
    one step forward, two steps back.

Dude, I've been pissed at Ronnie Raygun since I was in kindergarden.... like FUCKING PISSED!!!!!! (that's what I was like as a kindergardener.... FUCKING PISSSED!!!!)

...but yeah, if that shit goes down in Cali you guys should punch some mormons (they funded prop. 8 if I am not mistaken.)

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    Dude, I've been pissed at Ronnie Raygun since I was in kindergarden.... like FUCKING PISSED!!!!!! (that's what I was like as a kindergardener.... FUCKING PISSSED!!!!)

...but yeah, if that shit goes down in Cali you guys should punch some mormons (they funded prop. 8 if I am not mistaken.)
    It's cool. I understand. I am just too focused on this to bother with that guy.

It's cool. I understand. I am just too focused on this to bother with that guy.
    I so totally did a dance when I heard RR died, it was the same day I entered California for the first time.

But yeah dude, you rage, rage, rage against that prop.8 because it's bullshit. I will be sorely annoyed if it did indeed pass.

babyswitchblade's Avatar Candy Perfume Girl

I was so pleased when they announced that Obama won.

My boyfriend's 13 year old sister and I were glued to the TV, getting more and more excited with every minute, haha. It was crazy in this house for a good couple of hours - and we're Australian!

I just really hope he does for America what's needed and what he promises to do. I have a lot of faith in him.

I was at a party at a third floor apartment in Baltimore City when Jon Stewart announced to the room that Obama had won. Immediately, I heard two firecrackers go off outside. Several minutes later, a stream of folks poured onto the sidewalks. A large group across the street started singing and playing music, including a trombone rendition of When the Saints Go Marching In. Car horns were honking. Random people were yelling "whooo!" at each other. I stuck my head out the window and yelled "whooo!" down at the street. The group across the way saw me and "whooo!"ed back and we had a short "whooo!"ing contest. Two people called me in quick succession. One was a friend from Arizona who said that she had three bottles of champagne that she was about to open. What a beautiful night.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I'm so excited about obama winning that I'm going to excuse a post I found offensive in this thread for the time being.

YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Prop 8 has Hitchcock level suspense and still clear view in sight. The ban looks in defeat but the polls are changing faster each minute. Hopefully a result before we all pass out at the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by a_small_death
    Prop 8 has Hitchcock level suspense and still clear view in sight. The ban looks in defeat but the polls are changing faster each minute. Hopefully a result before we all pass out at the keyboard.
    Yeah, I've been checking the SF Chronicle every 10-15 minutes. Hopefully, it will go down below 50% before too long.

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

with only 41.5% of precincts reporting on Prop 8, it's 52.3% - 47.7% for the ban on Gay Marriage. So, who knows, with a vote that close, it's still way to early to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by athenahollow
    with only 41.5% of precincts reporting on Prop 8, it's 52.3% - 47.7% for the ban on Gay Marriage. So, who knows, with a vote that close, it's still way to early to tell.
    Yeah, that's why I'm hoping the early returns were from the more socially conservative rural regions of CA. I am still hopeful. I did notice SF had reported in 98% though. I'm hoping the surrounding areas and LA make up the difference.

OEC

Prop 8: Results by County

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/po...3859.htmlstory

Hope SoCal has a lot more returns to report. Marin is at 100%. SF 98%. Running out of places to defeat this ban.

73 million to fund support for this thing??? The gambit on this one is nearing the end of it's towards the finish. And I don't think I like where this is going. Note though all the funding came out of state. well I'm too tired now to be cogneative so good night and I'll the news in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by a_small_death
    73 million to fund support for this thing??? The gambit on this one is nearing the end of it's towards the finish. And I don't think I like where this is going. Note though all the funding came out of state. well I'm too tired now to be cogneative so good night and I'll the news in the morning.
    Same. It's not like we can change the results via insomnia. It will be disappointing to me if a small majority of xenophobic idiots is able to impose their will and deny their fellow Californians an individual right enjoyed by all opposite sex couples. It lessens the lustre of the state of birth, upbringing, and family. I will resent it if the ban passes. I will be very happy if it does go down in defeat.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by batzilla
    I was at a party at a third floor apartment in Baltimore City when Jon Stewart announced to the room that Obama had won. Immediately, I heard two firecrackers go off outside. Several minutes later, a stream of folks poured onto the sidewalks. A large group across the street started singing and playing music, including a trombone rendition of When the Saints Go Marching In. Car horns were honking. Random people were yelling "whooo!" at each other. I stuck my head out the window and yelled "whooo!" down at the street. The group across the way saw me and "whooo!"ed back and we had a short "whooo!"ing contest. Two people called me in quick succession. One was a friend from Arizona who said that she had three bottles of champagne that she was about to open. What a beautiful night.

That sounds awesome. Dead silence in Hollywood. I'm not in WeHo, but I'm pretty much in the very populous heart of Hollywood Hollywood. I can sure tell when the Lakers win though.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

Congratulation.... The people have had their say, once again the republic has stood a major test. I will now fall in and support the new president....

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    That sounds awesome. Dead silence in Hollywood. I'm not in WeHo, but I'm pretty much in the very populous heart of Hollywood Hollywood. I can sure tell when the Lakers win though.
    8 Passed.

Ubiquitress's Avatar Senior Member

8 passing is total shit,sorry OEC i know this one makes you as mad as it does all of us

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitress
    8 passing is total shit,sorry OEC i know this one makes you as mad as it does all of us
    It's embarassing and saddening. 4 years of hard work destroyed by an idiotic majority.

.....what? I can't believe it. ... I never would have that that would have passed. Fuck. This is ridiculous.

Hooray Obama.

Also: What the fuck?

So are all the gays that got married there now void? Thats horrible.

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

oh the irony of California voting for Obama and against 8....

that's why i hate politics... why waste millions trying to get that passed when CA already has excellent rights for gay people... they can still share health care and get tax breaks as registered partners (see: The California Domestic Partner Rights and Responsibilities Act (AB 205)) ... why "ban gay marriage" what a waste of money...

i can't wait until taxes are raised... small business is going to get creamed and so are middle class...

and just in case you misunderstand i was against 8... and i own a small business

Yay. I'm not too impressed with the usefulness of democrats as opposed to republicans - very little difference from where I'm standing - but as dems go I find Obama fairly likable. This election went about as well as I could have hoped; McCain woulda been Bush without the funny, and Hillary would probably have sent the US along the annoying nanny-politics path of the UK and Australia.

It's embarassing and saddening. 4 years of hard work destroyed by an idiotic majority.
    So who thought it would be a good idea to put four years of hard work into something vulnerable to idiotic majorities?

That's kinda like building a sailboat out of sugar cubes.

today in California the voting majority fails at life. 52% of all voters there? eh what do expect from zealot driven voter base.

Ali Stardust's Avatar Member

all i can say about this entire election is *facepalm* i just dont care anymore we are all fucked so Hooray

Antichrist has risen

I still have bad feeling about Obama. Don't know why but there's something odd about him. Weirdest thing is that most of the time when I have bad feeling I'm right about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny.illuminati

that's why i hate politics... why waste millions trying to get that passed when CA already has excellent rights for gay people... they can still share health care and get tax breaks as registered partners (see: The California Domestic Partner Rights and Responsibilities Act (AB 205)) ... why "ban gay marriage" what a waste of money...

i can't wait until taxes are raised... small business is going to get creamed and so are middle class...

and just in case you misunderstand i was against 8... and i own a small business
    Man did not know you made more then a quarter-mill a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    Yay. I'm not too impressed with the usefulness of democrats as opposed to republicans - very little difference from where I'm standing - but as dems go I find Obama fairly likable. This election went about as well as I could have hoped; McCain woulda been Bush without the funny, and Hillary would probably have sent the US along the annoying nanny-politics path of the UK and Australia.

So who thought it would be a good idea to put four years of hard work into something vulnerable to idiotic majorities?

That's kinda like building a sailboat out of sugar cubes.
    So don't fight for what's right due to the possibility of this happening? Noone knew then it would come to this. I'd rather fight for my beliefs and lose personally. I'm at peace with it. Out of my control.

I was at the Warner party at the Hilton in Tyson's Corner last night, and when they announced that Obama had won, the roar was literally almost deafening.

This election gives me hope that America is not yet over.

DoctorZ's Avatar Senior Member

But damn he's a good speaker.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

8 passed, but you did get the office you cant win them all.... there will be another day or time for that... It isnt all doom and gloom on my side of political spec. We held on to some of senate seats, and stopped a super majority from happening. Keeping some what Obama in check.....

OEC at this point it is out of all our control... May the chips fall where they may... I am done with politics for now....

Quote Originally Posted by jonny.illuminati

Do y'all think that maybe a significant percentage of the gay population voted yes? I mean, I definitely know a number of gay men in particular who were uncomfortable about having to consider the idea and California does already extend things like health insurance. I realize that the majority of people who voted yes must be pig ignorant people, but I wonder how people directly impacted voted from the privacy of the voting booth.

+ Reply to Thread