+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What did you do for Thanksgiving?

Default What did you do for Thanksgiving?

For Thanksgiving this year, I went to a potluck buffet at TheDeathKnight's killer house. He is one of those rare people with the decorator instinct and no need to conform to...
    Read the full article

Default Re: What did you do for Thanksgiving?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Uhm... Buster... That is seriously one of the most unpleasant things I've seen in a long long time. WTF?

Erm...yea...

It was just me, my wife and roomy.. we ended up with 4 boxes of scalloped potatoes that we had to cook in a Wok (LOL, ended up fine actually!) she then fell asleep, I went out and braved the crowd like every year, and got her xmas present early which was a Canon Xsi Rebel and an extra 55-250MM lens with Rebel case.

It's a nice intro camera she's wanted for a while now and it's good upgrade from our current 5MP one.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    This is the reason I don't go to movie premieres.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Yeah, sorry I have been MIA for so long.
    Been dealing with some work crap, and have not been online as much the past several months...

But glad you guys were able to stop by.

I try to create new holiday traditions for people, by having get-togethers for the holidays that are non-traditional and fun. So people don't have to deal with stupid family crap, and can have other more positive things to go do, rather than sitting at home feeling sorry for yourself...

Even people who avoid unpleasant family stuff, or who are alone, still sometimes feel a bit awkward and lonely when everyone else is "supposedly" enjoying family holiday bliss, while you are not. So I just think it's good to create other kinds of holiday fun with your friends. Even if it's just ordering pizza and watching crappy movies all night...

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    Yeah, sorry I have been MIA for so long.
    Been dealing with some work crap, and have not been online as much the past several months...

But glad you guys were able to stop by.

I try to create new holiday traditions for people, by having get-togethers for the holidays that are non-traditional and fun. So people don't have to deal with stupid family crap, and can have other more positive things to go do, rather than sitting at home feeling sorry for yourself...

Even people who avoid unpleasant family stuff, or who are alone, still sometimes feel a bit awkward and lonely when everyone else is "supposedly" enjoying family holiday bliss, while you are not. So I just think it's good to create other kinds of holiday fun with your friends. Even if it's just ordering pizza and watching crappy movies all night...

I don't find my family unpleasant, but my parents loathe holidays and would prefer to see me any day of the year which is not a special occasion. So your potluck was perfect. Thanks for having us.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

How is everyone, been out of the loop of things for a few weeks now. The way housing and building industries are, had to burn the midnight oil to make some rain. I hope everyone had wonderful thanks giving. My own Turkey day was really good, got the whole family together. I saw a few cousins of mine, that I have not seen in about 10 years. It was nice to reconnect with them, try not to let some much time go...

Amelia G
    I am right there with you, I do not find my family unpleasant to be around. Even the fact I work in family business environment.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

When it comes to family get-togethers, I just automatically become a fly on the wall. I don't know how many times when I was growing up that I heard my mom and dad bitching about some relative. To me life's too short. I go to where ever the function is, drink some beers, gobble some turkey, and become a thanksgiving ninja. Staying in the shadows, only to appear when the food is being put out and every now and then to grab another beer. I'll do some small talk, but I never get into any topic that could be explosive. Mostly because I really don't care what their opinions on, say, the economy or what not is. I'd rather come on here and listen to what your opinions are. The spread was kick-ass btw....

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Yeah, I get along good with most of my family too, but there have been times when they are not around. And I have also seen various friends dealing with either feeling lonely, or being angry about their family. So it just made sense to just make a better situation out of it. Rather than people going to some event with their crappy family and being mad, or not having a family so staying home lonely, it makes more sense to come up with a better plan on your own. Like xmas bowling. Or easter shooting. Thanksgiving kegger. Or whatever. Make your own new holiday "traditions" with your friends... They are often a lot more fun than family events, even if you do get along ok with your family...

Bedlamite

I did nothing. It was great.

homicidal_kiss's Avatar Random

family. bleh.

and seriously, what is with that movie clip?

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

my family is really far away from me. otherwise, I'd have spent the holiday with them...... this year J. and I spent thanksgiving with friends. it was nice..... and very tasty.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Thanksgiving here was last month but anyway, I was planning to spend the day at home with my cat but a friend of mine decided to cook some food and have people over so I went there. Ya, I go where the food is
    My 'family' didn't bother to call me (boofuckinghoo) and my mom and my sister are on the other side of the country.

+ Reply to Thread